Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:09 PM

46 posts, read 409,545 times

Advertisements

What's up with Holliston? Is it a nice town ? Affluent? Rural? Middle Class?
Is the commute painful? Is there shopping close by in an adjacent town? (Target and Costco perhaps? )
My husband will be working in Cambridge and we have 3 small children. Two are school age. We are looking at this town primarily because they have a french language immersion program in the public school. Any information you can offer would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 04:21 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
I'd say it's middle and upper middle class. There is great shopping nearby in Framingham and Natick (on rte. 9). The Massachusetts turnpike would take you into Cambridge.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:32 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymoves View Post
We are looking at this town primarily because they have a french language immersion program in the public school.
I suggest sending your kids to live with your relatives overseas over the summer (the real immersion program). You'll be amazed how much French they'll learn in 3 months.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 AM

You would be suprised how stubborn children can be! We go every summer and while they understand what is said to them they primarily respond in english and often it is enough to be understood and they are satisfied with that...at least for now. We are hoping that if they spend more time with children that it will force them but honestly it hasn't worked yet. I think more than anything they don't feel confident speaking, they just don't have the habit and so the words just seem to stick in their throats. We have friends in similar situations and for them the only cure was a private french school in the U.S. but it is VERY expensive and multiplied by three... well, I don't see that in our future. I have even considered just enrolling them in France for a year but that would be a hardship for for all of us to be away from my husband for so long. I hoped perhaps Holliston's program might be a decent substitute. However, if you have heard negative things about the program, the schools or the town... please share them with me. We like the idea of the immersion program but not at the expense of everything else. It is more important that they go to a very good school in a very good community .... I will only consider Holliston if I think we can have those things AND the immersion program. My favorite town so far I think was Concord but also very expensive.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Nope. Nothing negative about Holliston. I feel that if your kids do not embrace the language and culture. It is useless to enroll them into immersion program in an english speaking town where they will speak mostly english to their friends.

Just drop your kids with your relatives for the summer. This way you and your husband can still be together. I call it swim or sink. If they want food, they better speak! They cannot rely on mom/dad.

Good Luck.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 AM

124 posts, read 905,214 times
I do think they have decent schools, although if I remember correctly, at times they've had some issues with overrides (tax rules require a town to vote in order to increase property taxes, so when a school has a budget crunch, it has to go to the town to request a tax increase). But then again, most towns have that problem at one time or another.

Just perhaps check local papers or town hall to see if there is a current, big need for a tax override (for example, Canton just voted down a tax override and the school will have to fire 34 teachers, plus start adding big fees for all extra curriculars and athletics, for next year, so what has been a great district is going to go downhill fast... so make sure Holliston hasn't had a request and a no vote this year -- the town hall would be able to tell you).

The nearest commuter rail station is in neighboring Ashland. It would be 50 minutes into the Back Bay Station, and then a long ride into Cambridge on the T. Not recommended.

You could drive in to Cambridge on the Pike, though. 45 minutes or so not during rush hour. Obviously more during rush hour, but not terrible -- you would not have to drive actually into Boston, so maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours?

Holliston is a nice, middle class town with some affluent pockets. It is close to major shopping iareas in Framingham and Natick to the north. There is a Target in Milford next door.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the info.... when I got in touch with the school it seems that they have no space for my children in the immersion program So I think that will pretty much knock it out of the running. Milton also has a program but I'm not sure about that town.... well, as a town. So we are back to the drawing board. and I'm back to looking at towns of 495 and rt 2....
Smarty, I have thought about your idea of leaving them with "Pepe" in France... but they are still too little for that.... I agree though that that would be the fastest way to motivate them

Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
We used to live in Holliston until my husband was relocated. The town is fairly affluent. Not as affluent as Wellesley, Sherborn, Concord or Sudbury. A step below. Those towns are the most affluent. The schools are excellent. The French Immersion Program is hard to get into though. It's a very charming small town. We sold our 3,000 sq ft colonial for 700,000. You can spend as little as 350's for an older neighborhood and upward of a million for a newer home. The commute from Holliston would not be fun though. There is the commuter rail from Ashland or Framingham but you would have to switch lines a couple of times. There is a Target in Milford as well as a Super Stop & Shop. A Walmart in Bellingham and a BJ's in Franklin. The nearest Mall is the Natick Mall or the Solomon Pond Mall. There is some nice shopping in Wellesley Square and a little further the Atrium or Chestnut Hill Mall. PM me for more information and I also know an excellent Realtor in Holliston if you need one.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymoves View Post
Smarty, I have thought about your idea of leaving them with "Pepe" in France... but they are still too little for that.... I agree though that that would be the fastest way to motivate them
My experience is if a kid is kindergarten age or older, he or she should be fine without a parent for a couple of weeks.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:38 AM

967 posts, read 4,786,574 times
Good morning,

I don't know if you're still considering Concord but I understand that they have strong language programs. Homes there are my pricey than Holliston but both are terrific places to raise a family. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts