Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM

12 posts, read 39,550 times

Advertisements

I know this has probably been asked a million times and sorry to probably be repeating something but here goes:

We are moving to the Boston area this winter. I am from the UK, my Wife is Swedish and we currently live in Southern Spain. We are actually looking forward to "the seasons" and yes you can get bored of the sun, especially when, as now, it is around 37c in the shade!

Anyway the the reason for the posting is to get as much advice as possible on towns.

Our criteria is:

1. Within 45 mins of Boston centre
2. In a "nice" town of at least 15,000
3. With a downtown area of shops, restaurants etc
4. Great public schools - 2 boys of 8 & 10
5. Good walks, trails.
6. Good community spirit

I know that towns such as Newton, Wellesley, Concord, Lexington etc more or less fit this profile but is there anywhere that I am missing? Ideally we would like somewhere like these towns but with lower property prices.

I have seen a few negative posts on Acton and this area does appear to be a little too rural.

What about places like Peabody, Salem etc. North of Boston

We are coming over on a recce end of August so any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 AM

182 posts, read 712,261 times
Lowell is about 35 min to the city limits, it has a very 'new england' feel because it borders on the new england country-er towns, but the town of Lowell itself has alot going on. Many shops and resteraunts. There are many old factory buildings converted into office space and condos. They host a Red Sox minor league baseball team. It has a trendy urban feel, but is much more affordable than cities closer in to Boston.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM

10,068 posts, read 15,741,168 times
You might like Hingham. Town of Hingham Massachusetts, Incorporated 1635 - About the Town

It meets all your criteria, plus it's on the ocean. Very historic, good schools, public transportation to Boston via commuter rail or ferry. Prices are probably a bit lower than the other towns you mentioned.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

I see Lowell is close to Chelmsford, which looks interesting.

Very good public schools are really important, so my wife will be researching that side of things, so again any help much appreciated.

Just been looking at schools in the Salem area and they look as though they are pretty bad. Is this really the case?

Thanks
Blighty

Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,666,211 times
Yes, the schools are bad in Salem. Good schools in that area are Swampscott, Marblehead, and Lynnfield.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Default Hey There

Hi Blighty,

Have you ever thought about moving a little more south? I live in Somerset Ma, and it's a nice little town. It's about an hour from Boston.
I believe the population is about 28,000, a little, more than what you
wanted, but, I think it's worth it.

I don't know if you have any children, but the school system is one
of the best in the region. It's pretty much all single family homes
if that's what you're looking for, but there are a few apartments
no too many though.

Somerset is pretty smack dab in the middle of Cape Cod, and Newport,
so it dosen't really take too long to get anywhere. There are nice resturants and shopping and we have a huge selection of outlets,
from shoes and clothes to furniture and rugs.

Well, I hope I have kinda sorta helped you,

Take Care,
Patsfan63

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks Patsfan63 for the advice.

We want to try and stay around the Western side of Boston if possible. Anyone have advice on the Holliston area?? Is this also really rural??

Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 PM

17 posts, read 34,085 times
It seems like Arlington might fit the bill. That's where we've decided to move to when we relocate to MA. We had similar requirements.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 AM

100 posts, read 475,576 times
Holliston has a very good school system, is very rural, small downtown, very traditional New England quaint and you would get a good value on houses. It would take about an hour to Boston.
Hopkinton also would be nice though the schools aren't quite as good as Holliston and it has a smaller downtown. Hopkinton has LOTS of parks and land devoted to walking/nature and is very family friendly. About 45 minutes to Boston.
Southboro and Westborough are two other areas with Southboro being the nicer of the two - no downtown to speak of but you can quickly get to Westborough which has everything you want. Both are 45 minutes to Boston. Just some thoughts!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,948,704 times
Do you want 45 minutes to Boston on public transit or driving? Both? Will the driving be during rush hour? Hopkinton, for instance, is 45 from Boston without traffic, but could be more with traffic. If you're only interested in visiting, it might fight the bill, but if you're looking to commute it could be a bit further than you're hoping for. If you're looking for 45 minutes by public transportation that is the most restrictive--meaning you have to live reasonable close and near an easy form of public transit. 45 minutes by car without traffic is the least restrictive.

How much less expensive than those towns are you looking for? How excellent do the schools have to be? There are a lot of trade offs, mainly between distance from Boston, quality of schools, and cost. It seems that you are still looking for a good town, so I'll just throw out other towns that come to mind--loosely based on the towns that I just looked at (we were trying to be 30 minutes from South Station by public transit).

You could probably add Winchester and Belmont to the list with Lexington--everything you're looking for, well inside the 128 loop, but quite expensive. Winchester I would say has better walking access--it's right next to the beautiful Middlesex Fells (which is a big hilly park). Both have top ranked schools.

Someone mentioned Arlington--that is a less expensive, slightly more urban alternative to Lexington and Belmont. It is even closer to the city and has generous public transportation opportunities. The schools don't seem to be as highly ranked as Lexington, say, but all indications are that they are very good.

Slightly further and with less well ranked schools are Wakefield and Melrose (both are in 128). Both have easy commuter rail access to downtown. Both have walkable parts and Melrose is on the other side of Middlesex Fells from Winchester. These are definitely more affordable. Reading and Lynnfield (a separate town from the city of Lynn) have more well regarded schools but are further out still.

Needham has very good schools, a cute town center, reasonable sidewalks, commuter rail right to downtown, and is located just south of Wellesley (the two used to be one town, many years ago). It's a bit less expensive then Wellesley, but in the same ballpark, so may still be too expensive. Further south still, Westwood is even less expensive than Needham, but lacks a nice town center. Westwood has a some very nice nature trails.

I'm sure there are other towns that meet your criteria that are further out--but those are some of the towns North and West of Boston but still relatively close that fit all or most of your criteria. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts