Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 11:40 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I personally find great value in ranches or colonials (no cathedral ceiling) that were built in the 1950s-1960s range.

The less updated the better. To be there is alot of value in these homes for a somewhat handy buyer. You are new enough to avoid knob and tube wiring and probably steam heat.

Yet old enough to have vanities, tubs, kitchen cabinets, and flooring that is far superior quality to what is made now. A call to miracle method and a cabinet re-facing company will make those look great. Plus if there is no cathedral ceilings, Mass Save will pump the attic full of blown in insulation and make it 80-90% as good as homes now. If the house has gas heat, it will be cheaper to heat than a newer house with Oil.

Good example below

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Marblehead.../home/11768567
I was lucky to get a good agent that helped me identify solid houses since I was clueless and am in a colonial that you describe. It's a bit bigger, newer, and more updated than the one in the link you provided but we're pretty happy with how things have been so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 12:48 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
A little bigger than I like but love the details and setting. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M45348-00721

Old 05-22-2023, 01:01 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Allowing myself to go outside my normal criteria....and putting price aside for these....

https://www.redfin.com/MA/South-Hami.../home/12410054

The barn. Love every bit about it.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Wenham/120.../home/11350775

Love the property this sits on

https://www.redfin.com/NH/Hampton-Fa...home/143824916

Like the house, and the edge of the marsh where it sits. Separate pool house and garage.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:28 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Ever since I was a little kid, I have dreamed of owning this house: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Haverhill/.../home/11306867

The inside is.... a lot. It would take a fair bit of money to tone it down in a tasteful yet still period style, but I'm impressed by how well kept-up it appears. A lot of the old Victorians in Haverhill haven't faired nearly so well.

Also in Haverhill is this house, which is a few doors down from where my mom grew up: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Haverhill/.../home/11326302 I've always wanted to move back to that street, and this house has always been my favorite from the outside, but clearly is pretty gorgeous on the inside (minus the industrial urinal in the bathroom and the sports bar in the basement).

Another dream house: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Essex/80R-.../home/70324175

I've always told my partner that if we won the lottery with enough money to not need to consider a commute but not enough money to up and move to a townhouse in London, Tel Aviv, or Stockholm, I'd want a house on the river/marsh in Essex or Ipswich. This fits the bill if we were to ever have a few spare million.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
E
I've always told my partner that if we won the lottery with enough money to not need to consider a commute but not enough money to up and move to a townhouse in London, Tel Aviv, or Stockholm, I'd want a house on the river/marsh in Essex or Ipswich. This fits the bill if we were to ever have a few spare million.
That location is perfect. I would love to live there.

Personally, i've never understood the appeal (job commute aside) of spending $3mil to buy a condo in Back Back Boston when you can take that money and buy a beautiful home in a location such at that one.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:47 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Personally, i've never understood the appeal (job commute aside) of spending $3mil to buy a condo in Back Back Boston when you can take that money and buy a beautiful home in a location such at that one.
I think if I had eff you money, I'd like to be walkable to a subway, coffee shops, etc. I like going out to eat, going to museums, etc. and in my ideal world I'd be walking distance from a lot of Jewish life, like synagogues, JCCs, classes, etc. I was rich enough to afford a condo in Back Bay then I would probably be rich enough to indulge in some of those more city persuits much more regularly.

But if I was not *that* rich but rich enough to buy a place where I could kayak to Crane Beach from my backyard, I think I'd be ok.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:57 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:

Same. There are some homes in Beacon Hill that are beautiful but I would still hands down choose something bigger with more privacy with some nature.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I think if I had eff you money, I'd like to be walkable to a subway, coffee shops, etc. I like going out to eat, going to museums, etc. and in my ideal world I'd be walking distance from a lot of Jewish life, like synagogues, JCCs, classes, etc. I was rich enough to afford a condo in Back Bay then I would probably be rich enough to indulge in some of those more city persuits much more regularly.p
Makes sense. I see your point. I guess i am projected my lifestyle into that thought logic. WHile i like to partake in some of the activities Boston has, it's not that frequent. I don't mind driving in to the MFA once in a while, but I love to sit on my deck and drink a coffee and read or surf the laptop. I like that peace and quiet.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:13 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
This is a 3 building compound, looks neat.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...ource=txtshare

Old 05-23-2023, 09:54 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:

As someone who would happily spend $3 mil to live in Back Bay, I'd say it really comes down to priorities. The easy access to experiences and entertainment is big, comfy convenience that will be hard to give up someday. Think of all the things and events in Boston that people who live an hour away have to plan for, take an afternoon/day off to do, drive in for, find parking for, and then escape...All of that logistical up-front planning just melts away if you live in the middle of it. A trip to the science museum or aquarium can be a spontaneous, low-effort affair. I can be at home eating dinner at 6:30, decide to go see the Sox game at 7:05, buy tickets, and still be in my seat in time for the first pitch. Even things like the marathon become a easy 5-10 minute walk rather than the all-day planning and traffic nightmare.

Is that for everyone? No, certainly not. But the logic is sound -- do you pay big money for lots of space and privacy or do you pay big money for comfortable convenience to nearly everything you enjoy doing?

I spend many a summer weekend on the Cape at a big house on a big lot next to a big beach, and while it's very scenic and quiet and peaceful, I'd go absolutely insane if I lived there week in and week out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts