Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 11:52 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The problem with this is younger people don't want to live in the burbs, especially expensive apartments. You'd potentially fill the affordable housing units with low/no income people but the market rate units would go empty.

... that is if it wasn't for the H1Bs ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not true. Young people dont wanna live somewhere boring. Out here in NJ younger people prefer places like that. Nice apartments next to the train where you dont have to use your car for work. Come back to bars and restaurants? Its a win-win. People are doing this here, LI, SF area, DC area, Chicago, etc. but Boston area has very few attractive areas for young people that provide this. A lot of times an urban-ish suburb or mixed use development near transit is preferable over city living especially if you have a dog.

How do I know this? Im a 26 year old dude.
I'm not in my 20s now, but like post people in their 40s, I was once in my 20s. There may be a razor thin section of people who'd prefer to live somewhere like the apartments near Legacy Place over somewhere like West Roxbury or JP, but I can't imagine it's the majority. All of the young people I know live in the city or are married and live in SFHs way out in the suburbs.

I have actually known people who live in those sorts of apartments (and even was one of those people about 15 years ago) and they were usually:

1) people who moved here from elsewhere and didn't know any better
2) people who were biding their time to buy
3) people who weren't planning on staying in the area

All that being said, these sorts of developments are probably good in the sense that they may be the most space- and time-efficient way of building housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 12:38 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Another things I've noticed about all these needs for more inventory and housing for people is that anytime a house gets built it seems like it never goes for under a million. Someone pointed out a new development in Weymouth recently where the homes are priced starting at 1M. Why has it become impossible to get a new house (or heck even an old house) for under 1M? It's like the only way to get housing for less than that is to build condos. People don't necessarily want to live in a condo, but i guess they can't be picky these days.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:55 PM

31 posts, read 56,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Another things I've noticed about all these needs for more inventory and housing for people is that anytime a house gets built it seems like it never goes for under a million. Someone pointed out a new development in Weymouth recently where the homes are priced starting at 1M. Why has it become impossible to get a new house (or heck even an old house) for under 1M? It's like the only way to get housing for less than that is to build condos. People don't necessarily want to live in a condo, but i guess they can't be picky these days.
large / expensive house == more money for the developer. There's no incentive to build a smaller SFH.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:09 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy781 View Post
large / expensive house == more money for the developer. There's no incentive to build a smaller SFH.
But that is adding to the problem. When/why did this all happen?

I have a friend that built a house in NH not too long ago on land that was her husband's family. It did not cost anywhere close to 1M.

It just seems like something people in MA have come to accept.

Last edited by msRB311; 03-16-2023 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-16-2023, 01:28 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:

I have a friend that built a house in NH not too long ago on land that was her husband's family. It did not cost anywhere close to 1M.
There’s a difference between buying land and building your own house and a developer building a spec house. The developer wants to optimize for profit. The bigger house with the premium finishes creates more profit.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:35 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times
Quote:

A big part of the price purchase, especially in Greater Boston, is the land value. You can see that when a home is purchased for $500k-$900k or more, and the house is simply torn down.

As for the growing popularity of bigger and newer homes...call me a boomer but I blame it on those shows on HGTV and a bit on social media. Even the show "This Old House" had to evolve over the years to keep up with trend.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:26 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Because there's a line of buyers who find $1 million or more affordable and even in a bargain in some areas. Even if a developer wanted to build a lower-cost home in those areas (and I can't imagine why unless incentivized by some form of subsidy), it would just get into a bidding war and sell for $1 million or more anyway.

You either have to fulfill all the demand created by buyers with deeper pockets or forcibly exclude them from buying (a la income-control).

Old 03-16-2023, 02:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
Quote:
Exactly. People simply want to see prices of SFH go down.

Do they? Do you?

If I already own a nice home in a desirable Boston suburb, why would I want to see the prices of single family homes come down?

Over the long haul, when have prices ever gone down? We bought our current home in 2005, near the peak of the last strong real estate market. The value dropped for the next 5 or so years but has been on the increase for the last 10+ years.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:15 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,821,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Do they? Do you?

If I already own a nice home in a desirable Boston suburb, why would I want to see the prices of single family homes come down?

Over the long haul, when have prices ever gone down? We bought our current home in 2005, near the peak of the last strong real estate market. The value dropped for the next 5 or so years but has been on the increase for the last 10+ years.
Selfishly I'd love to see prices go down in this area because I don't yet have my 'dream' house. If you already have a house here that checks off all the boxes then you're sitting pretty. Otherwise, if you're like me and so many others who are looking to either buy their first house or trade up to something that's a better fit then you are pretty much SOL. Unless of course you have multi millions at your disposal.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:36 PM

I guess I don't care if prices when down and yes I'm a homeowner. I don't plan on selling for a long time. I just think where we are now is ridiculous. A home around here is way too expensive. I guess we have people with way too much money in the area as well.

I also agree that HGTV and Instagram are to blame for the cost of home renovations being through the roof. It's like if you don't have an updated kitchen you might as well be trailer trash these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts