Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2023, 01:56 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
??? so in 2023 it's no longer possible for people of lower income status to move? People used to ride in horse and buggy across several states in the 1800's to make it work. Hogwash that people today are incapable of moving to an area they can afford and get a a job. They just don't WANT to. People today are lazy.
This is not a well thought out response.

You don't know what their situations are, but you insist they're lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 02:00 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This is not a well thought out response.

You don't know what their situations are, but you insist they're lazy.
So because we don't know what 40k-60k thousand people's 'situations' are we should assume they're all in dire need? Or could it be that some are just...lazy.

So many people here really are the poor man's friend. wow.

Let me ask you this - why do you think many of them should not be getting up and moving? Trying to better their situations so the state isn't left to deal with them? Why is it acceptable to have 60k families in a state WAITING for affordable (whatever that means) housing ?

Old 11-02-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
So because we don't know what 40k-60k thousand people's 'situations' are we should assume they're all in dire need? Or could it be that some are just...lazy.

So many people here really are the poor man's friend. wow.

Let me ask you this - why do you think many of them should not be getting up and moving? Trying to better their situations so the state isn't left to deal with them? Why is it acceptable to have 60k families in a state WAITING for affordable (whatever that means) housing ?
Again, it's not realistic.

And I think it's fair to say that unlike you, these people can't run to rich mommy and rich daddy whenever they have a problem.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:42 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Couldn't the seller always say no, sorry Mr. Buyer I'm not paying your agent but I'd be happy to sell you the house directly? What would prevent that from happening?
If Ms Seller has a listing agreement with an agent, the contract would. I'm working on the assumption that there is a selling agent as that is how the vast majority of homes are sold.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:52 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
I sold my parent's townhouse back in 2019. The fee was 5%. The agent I used had a list of 3-4 people who had expressed interest in the past with her wanting to buy in that over 55 community and it sold at asking in 36 hours. IMHO, she earned her 5% because she brought me a buyer and if someone else had, great - they get half - I could not care less.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:33 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
This is an interesting and helpful article:

https://www.boston.com/real-estate/r...p_featurestack

Old 11-03-2023, 05:45 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
??? so in 2023 it's no longer possible for people of lower income status to move? People used to ride in horse and buggy across several states in the 1800's to make it work. Hogwash that people today are incapable of moving to an area they can afford and get a a job. They just don't WANT to. People today are lazy.
It cost us over $20,000 to move from Arizona back to Mass. Moving these days is very expensive

Old 11-03-2023, 08:02 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
It cost us over $20,000 to move from Arizona back to Mass. Moving these days is very expensive
Yes, but you wouldn't have to move all your stuff. You could sell it here and buy new (or used) after moving.

The alternative is you wait for years for Section 8 or other low cost housing to become available.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:05 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, but you wouldn't have to move all your stuff. You could sell it here and buy new (or used) after moving.

The alternative is you wait for years for Section 8 or other low cost housing to become available.
Right, it's hard for me to understand how/why people keep defending the folks staying here waiting for section 8...also what are they doing while they wait? Seems to me they are making it work unless they're literally on the street which it doesnt like they are.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

I'd argue that the vast majority of the people on the housing list couldn't pull this off. And for those who could find a way to move, where are they going to go? To somewhere in the south or midwest where the minimum wage is $7.25, a car is needed, and side hustles are hard to come by? And who is going to rent to them without a job? And even if they can find someone who will rent to them, they'll need to minimally come up with first month rent and security deposit. And then they likely need to get a car. And then find a job that pays half of what they were making in Boston.

This is no small task for the people on the housing list. And it seems to me that there's a very high likelihood that the ones who could pull this off aren't even going to end up in a better position.

Not to mention leaving their friends and family - who in many cases are helping them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts