Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 09:12 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I actually like self check out. When I go to Costco or S&S that line often moves faster than the staffed check out lines. If I just have a couple of things i can be in & out much faster (unless some slack jawed idiot gets in the self check out line and acts like they've never seen a barcode scanner and a touch screen in their lives which happens sometimes). Personally, I think the "no self check out" part of this law is silly. In self check out, if you're buying alcohol someone has to check your ID before you can check out. So, I don't know what the issue is.

As I noted, of course it's faster at S&S since they deliberately understaff their registers (trying to push everybody to use the self checkout). I do not think S&S self checkout is more efficient than the fully manned checkout at MB. But even at S&S, out of principle I will usually go to the regular register even if it's slower (unless I am really pressed for time). I just refuse to enable them in their globalist job elimination campaign. I know some will say that my actions won't make a difference, but I have literally watched them panic and scramble to open an additional register due to stubborn holdouts like me who refuse to do their "their" work for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 02:32 AM

448 posts, read 282,707 times
I do not mind SCO at Big Y/Shaws if I only have a handful of stuff. Generally, I do a full order at Market Basket, and there is no SCO in my store, and the lines are quick (all lanes open, generally)

If Total WInes is saying to Vote No, maybe I should read this again.

I Thought a yes vote, gives TW more stores -> lower prices for me, since I would go to a close store with better prices than the corner store.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:15 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As I noted, of course it's faster at S&S since they deliberately understaff their registers (trying to push everybody to use the self checkout). I do not think S&S self checkout is more efficient than the fully manned checkout at MB. But even at S&S, out of principle I will usually go to the regular register even if it's slower (unless I am really pressed for time). I just refuse to enable them in their globalist job elimination campaign. I know some will say that my actions won't make a difference, but I have literally watched them panic and scramble to open an additional register due to stubborn holdouts like me who refuse to do their "their" work for free.
That makes sense that the lines would be longer if the store is short staffing the registers. I don't mind SCO if I just have a handful of items. I do find when I go to stores that don't have SCO that I often end up waiting longer to check out if I'm just buying a handful of items.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:25 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
That makes sense that the lines would be longer if the store is short staffing the registers. I don't mind SCO if I just have a handful of items. I do find when I go to stores that don't have SCO that I often end up waiting longer to check out if I'm just buying a handful of items.

Funny you mention this now. I stopped at MB yesterday to grab a couple of things. Nearly EVERY register in the store was open and I marched right up to the express lane. ZERO WAIT. Later in the evening, I discovered being out of an essential so I had to run out to my local S&S. I was in the middle of making dinner so could not wait, and ended up going to the SCO. Had to wait behind two people in front of me before one became free, and this should have been a slower time of the day. I've definitely seen worse there, but MB was the better experience no question.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:25 AM

448 posts, read 282,707 times
MB on the weekends is all registers open, all baggers. Fully staffed. Im preaching to the choir on that. But despite the busy weekends you can zip right thru there. No other store can compete with that

Old 11-08-2022, 07:42 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Funny you mention this now. I stopped at MB yesterday to grab a couple of things. Nearly EVERY register in the store was open and I marched right up to the express lane. ZERO WAIT. Later in the evening, I discovered being out of an essential so I had to run out to my local S&S. I was in the middle of making dinner so could not wait, and ended up going to the SCO. Had to wait behind two people in front of me before one became free, and this should have been a slower time of the day. I've definitely seen worse there, but MB was the better experience no question.
The efficiency of SCO is HIGHLY dependent upon who's in line in front of you. From time-to-time I have been stuck behind folks who seem like they've never used a touch screen or know how to scan a barcode. It can be REALLY frustrating especially when you're in a rush. Sometimes, I've been behind people with MASSIVE carts overflowing with items at the SCO holding up everyone. This said, the majority of the time I have a positive experience at SCO and don't mind if the store is saving a few dollars by putting it out there. Amazon is actually piloting grocery stores where you just put what you want in the cart and then walk out. No scanning at all. There's no way a cashier can compete with that speed.

Anyway, whether you like SCO or not, it just strikes me as an odd inclusion in this bill.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:59 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Anyway, whether you like SCO or not, it just strikes me as an odd inclusion in this bill.
I think it makes sense on this bill. From a practicality standpoint, it would require a cashier or staff person to sit there and verify every single scan since each time a barcode on an alcoholic beverage is scanned, the SCO requires an authorized person (usually the cashier or SCO monitor) to verify the age. It's time consuming. Also, other age prohibited items (like tobacco products) are not allowed to be sold at SCOs, so it's kind of odd that alcohol still is.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:58 PM

9,109 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Amazon is actually piloting grocery stores where you just put what you want in the cart and then walk out. No scanning at all. There's no way a cashier can compete with that speed.
^^^That is going to become the future in all retail where customers physically pick out their own merchandise like supermarkets and Walmart.

I am sure people have multiple reasons for disliking SCO but avoiding SCO to save cashier jobs is foolish. With the vast majority of baby boomers aging into retirement, we are going to see persistent labor shortages in low paid job categories like cashiers for years to come. Gen-Z is simply not large enough to fill all the vacancies being left by the boomers, immigration will not completely fill the gap as the situation is actually worse in Europe, Asia and even parts of Latin America. SCO and other forms of automation are actually a godsend.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:56 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think it makes sense on this bill. From a practicality standpoint, it would require a cashier or staff person to sit there and verify every single scan since each time a barcode on an alcoholic beverage is scanned, the SCO requires an authorized person (usually the cashier or SCO monitor) to verify the age. It's time consuming. Also, other age prohibited items (like tobacco products) are not allowed to be sold at SCOs, so it's kind of odd that alcohol still is.
It's only time consuming if done (very) poorly. As someone who almost always uses SCO and occasionally buys alcohol, the process is pretty simple. The system flags any alcohol purchases and won't let you proceed until your ID is checked. The person who checks ID then scans the rest of the cart, scans all the alcohol, and then you can proceed/finish. If you know you have age restricted items, you make sure to get the attention of the SCO monitor before scanning so you aren't stuck waiting. At Costco they will also scan my bulk items, so sometimes having alcohol speeds up the process of SCO.

I won't say the process is foolproof, but there aren't any obvious ways for underage people to buy alcohol. it would be easier to just steal alcohol than sneak it through self-checkout.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I do not mind SCO at Big Y/Shaws if I only have a handful of stuff. Generally, I do a full order at Market Basket, and there is no SCO in my store, and the lines are quick (all lanes open, generally)

If Total WInes is saying to Vote No, maybe I should read this again.

I Thought a yes vote, gives TW more stores -> lower prices for me, since I would go to a close store with better prices than the corner store.
I use my local Stop & Shop as a convenience store. I always use the self checkout unless I happen to walk past an empty cashier line. My major shops are at Market Basket and Aldi that don’t have self checkout.

I believe I’ve bought 3 bottles of distilled alcohol in Massachusetts in the last decade. That’s what Tax-Free New Hampshire is for, right? I think everyone should be able to sell beer & wine. We should have the CVS/Walgreens, Cumberland Farms, & Dunkin Donuts sell beer & wine ballot initiative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts