Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2022, 09:18 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
All I was saying is don't be so quick to judge young people with money, they don't always get help from parents.

My buddy graduated from state school in 2006 with a comp sci degree. He rented a cheap apt with roommates and put every dollar he could into stocks during the 2008 crash. I think he bought mostly blue chips like Microsoft, Apple, Google. By 2011-12 he had put at least 20% down on a house in San Francisco, the actual expensive city not a suburb. He was under 30 at the time so it can be done. He's rented out the other rooms which paid for the mortgage the whole time.
right so he got his money through stocks. Not just taking his income and sticking it in a savings accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 09:20 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
401K is stocks though, at least until you start getting close to retirement and since you're in your mud-40s I assume you've done quite well and are sitting on well over $300K at this point. Problem is there are plenty of people who choose not to contribute at all and instead blow their paychecks on Canada Goose of every available color and trendy $25 (plus tip) cocktails.
I do have more than 300k in my 401k thankfully...but i would have had more if i had put more into in my 20's. I wish I had! I think it was hard to get the concept at that stage in life. I didn't care about money i would need when i was 65. And yes I did spend my money on some pricey drinks back in the day. Who didn't.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:21 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
right so he got his money through stocks. Not just taking his income and sticking it in a savings accounts.

Right but he made that money by using his own earnings, not by getting an interest-freee loan with mandatory forgiveness clause from Big Bank of Rich Mommy and Daddy.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:25 AM

Default re

Quote:
Right but he made that money by using his own earnings, not by getting an interest-freee loan with mandatory forgiveness clause from Big Bank of Rich Mommy and Daddy.
True. Good for someone who did this. I can only hope my kids cares about 401ks and the stock market when they're 25. They currently have safe they put cash in and i keep telling them they should put it in an account but they likes to take the money out and look at it/play with it.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:41 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I didn't get into stocks and such until the '08 Crash. I think i was 25 or 26.

But when I was 18, I don't think online brokerages existed like they do today. Investing in stocks seemed out of reach. Then it seemed like you had to call up a broker and make your trade over the phone, vs now where I can deposit money and make a few trades with a few clicks.

Still, it doesn't necessarily educate folks how to invest safely when you hop on forums such as r/wallstreetbets and see pump and dump type action with a lot of calls for #YOLO (implying dumping all your cash into a risky venture). Plus we've all seen what happened with Robinhood in the wake of the dodgecoin and Gamestop market events over the last few years. Lots of younger folks have access to easy trading now, but without real education as to how to safely invest. As a result, tons of folks lost a lot of $$ on risky ventures.

I've had basic-level conversations with my 9 year olds on how the stock market works. I need to look into it further but I wish there was a way I can open accounts for/with them and buy some funds or such so they see how that money grows to start to show them how $1 invested today can grow.

Then they might have a shot in buying a home (to keep this on topic)

Old 10-27-2022, 10:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Unless you're a bear of the 'the market will not recover for 20 years' variety, a crash is going to help someone putting money away for a down payment in 5-10 years by allowing them to buy even more at a discount this year.
I am a long term bear, mostly because the political will to continue to pump the stock market to no end is not going to last. You also have to account for the inevitable invasion of Taiwan by China; which is going to screw up Tech Stocks no matter the outcome. It could still be better than the alternatives, but diversification isn't a bad idea given the circumstances.

In that case, real estate with a reasonable commute to Boston or Cambridge is going to look pretty good honestly.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:01 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But when I was 18, I don't think online brokerages existed like they do today. Investing in stocks seemed out of reach. Then it seemed like you had to call up a broker and make your trade over the phone, vs now where I can deposit money and make a few trades with a few clicks.
I've had a Scottrade account for awhile (now owned by TD Ameritrade). Back then you had to go to a branch to sign up. But you could use the website to place trades and such. Wikipedia has an reference that the company claimed that in 2003 98% of trades were online.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:09 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
I for one hope I’m in a position to help my kids buy a house when it comes time. And I hope it helps them out enough that they can do the same for their kids.

That’s not to say that doing it on your own isn’t admirable, but having help and helping your family aren’t terrible things, either.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:20 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've had basic-level conversations with my 9 year olds on how the stock market works. I need to look into it further but I wish there was a way I can open accounts for/with them and buy some funds or such so they see how that money grows to start to show them how $1 invested today can grow.

Then they might have a shot in buying a home (to keep this on topic)
UTMA account where you're the custodian.

You can do this with bank accounts too, especially if rates keep going up the interest will be more meaningful. Explaining why stock and bond prices go up and down might be for later.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:22 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, I originally said someone under 35 could save 23k per year for 13 years or put half of that into the stock market and get there too. I lost track of who I originally replied to, but that person assumed anyone age 35 with 300k got it from their parents or inheritance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts