Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 06:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
It's close to the Sudbury line and minutes to MA pike. Definitely paying up for that particular location within Framingham. Maybe it is someone who wanted Sudbury but it was too much of a stretch price wise so this was the next best thing? House doesn't strike me as being something I'd wanna pay $826K for but looks like a nice little culdesac neighborhood on street view maps.
Been thinking about this... the dog situation is getting to the point where I could totally see there being enough SFH buyers not caring about Framingham's crappy schools and preferring Framingham to some comparably priced 495 town because of the better commute and amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 10:21 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I've been targeting Framingham as one of the places to buy my first home, and will have children in that home. I'm honestly just not concerned with schools at the elementary level. I'm sure there are plenty of people in similar boats - would like more space than they can afford in a top flight school district so instead will live somewhere for a few years and then take their equity to get into a better district when the kids are a little older (if they have kids at all).

Alternatively, if you can get housing for cheaper than private school is more of an option. A few friends bought in Waltham versus Newton despite the schools knowing that the price difference would allow them to send their kids to the Gann Academy.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:15 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Private school vs public school districts are over-hyped. There are plenty of students who grow up attending public that end up better off in life than folks who attended private. However, some folks can't seem to get the stigma out of their heads so they make unnecessary sacrifices just to send little johnny and suzy q to Gann or wherever. But hey, if they'd rather spend $50K a year on private tuition rather than purchase a home in Newton that is almost guaranteed to make them a great return, to each their own! If it were me, I'd buy the house in Newton and send my kids to Newton public.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:42 PM

852 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Private school vs public school districts are over-hyped. There are plenty of students who grow up attending public that end up better off in life than folks who attended private. However, some folks can't seem to get the stigma out of their heads so they make unnecessary sacrifices just to send little johnny and suzy q to Gann or wherever. But hey, if they'd rather spend $50K a year on private tuition rather than purchase a home in Newton that is almost guaranteed to make them a great return, to each their own! If it were me, I'd buy the house in Newton and send my kids to Newton public.
Public schools vary a lot.
I believe it is more than OK to attend public schools in Winchester or Lexington, but I won't do so in Lawrence or Brockton.

Newton has good schools, but most middle class people can only afford a very small home there. That is also a kind of sacrifice.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
I believe it is more than OK to attend public schools in Winchester or Lexington, but I won't do so in Lawrence or Brockton.

Newton has good schools, but most middle class people can only afford a very small home there. That is also a kind of sacrifice.
If a family has 3+ kids I could see a small home being problematic. However, for a small family or one just starting out, who cares if you can only get a small home. You're still in Newton. Most folks get homes a lot larger than they need and don't even use a lot of the rooms regularly.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:10 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post

Quote:
If a family has 3+ kids I could see a small home being problematic. However, for a small family or one just starting out, who cares if you can only get a small home. You're still in Newton. Most folks get homes a lot larger than they need and don't even use a lot of the rooms regularly.

A "middle class" family would be lucky to afford a closet in Newton these days.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Cheapest SFH I'm seeing currently available there is $625K for a 3bd, ~1200 sq ft https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...56534803_zpid/

On the other end of the spectrum, if you're into keeping up appearances and 'need' 8,000+ sq feet to house your family of 3 or 4 there is this...for over $4mil https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...56313400_zpid/

Old 01-01-2023, 02:30 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. There ain't no middle class people living in Newton. Maybe in a condo or a two family. Having the option to purchase a home in Newton for the schools is a pipe dream for many or there is just no inventory for the people who can afford to live there.

I agree that not all public schools are the same...but people get ridiculous about schools in MA. At the end of the day kids from good families who give a damn end up being people with the same kinds of jobs as the kids who went to Lexington, Weston or nobles. The only time the schools might make a difference is if you come from an awful family and end up at an awful public school.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Cheapest SFH I'm seeing currently available there is $625K for a 3bd, ~1200 sq ft https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...56534803_zpid/

On the other end of the spectrum, if you're into keeping up appearances and 'need' 8,000+ sq feet to house your family of 3 or 4 there is this...for over $4mil https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...56313400_zpid/

With current rates, even that "as is" 1200 sq ft. house for $625K is well into upper-middle-class territory. And that's before any needed repairs, which one can only imagine...

Old 01-01-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. There ain't no middle class people living in Newton. Maybe in a condo or a two family. Having the option to purchase a home in Newton for the schools is a pipe dream for many or there is just no inventory for the people who can afford to live there.

I agree that not all public schools are the same...but people get ridiculous about schools in MA. At the end of the day kids from good families who give a damn end up being people with the same kinds of jobs as the kids who went to Lexington, Weston or nobles. The only time the schools might make a difference is if you come from an awful family and end up at an awful public school.

I can see not wanting to send a child to BPS, but Framingham schools (that this forum considers "crappy") are probably fine for most kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts