Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 07:12 AM

16,319 posts, read 8,150,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All this visual tells me, is that there is a mess load of money northwest, west, and southwest between 95 and 495.
Pretty much and we knew that already. It still doesn’t make Braintree lower middle class. For the record I could care less about Braintree other than it’s false that the majority of people living there are lower middle class. If anything the demographic has changed the past few years and there’s more white collar professionals there than ever before. People priced out of other places have moved there and the red line is also an attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 07:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All this visual tells me, is that there is a mess load of money northwest, west, and southwest between 95 and 495.
And Framingham is a little island of low/average surrounded by seas of high/1% earners.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:35 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Going by this map, I would say the best examples of "lower middle class" (while we are on that topic) would be Randolph, Weymouth, Hyde Park, Everett, and good chunks of Quincy, Chelsea, Malden, Revere, Lynn, Peabody, Framingham, and Marlborough.

Biggest surprise I think is Chelsea appearing so average (could it finally be "gentrifying"???). And didn't realize South Framingham was that low income. Also, interesting how West Roxbury as a low income area and a top 1% area very close to each other. You expect those kinds of disparities in JP, but not at all in Westie.

This map needs to go further north and south, it skews too much to the west (shocking for this forum, I know).

Old 11-13-2021, 08:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Going by this map, I would say the best examples of "lower middle class" (while we are on that topic) would be Randolph, Weymouth, Hyde Park, Everett, and good chunks of Quincy, Chelsea, Malden, Revere, Lynn, Peabody, Framingham, and Marlborough.

Biggest surprise I think is Chelsea appearing so average (could it finally be "gentrifying"???). And didn't realize South Framingham was that low income. Also, interesting how West Roxbury as a low income area and a top 1% area very close to each other. You expect those kinds of disparities in JP, but not at all in Westie.

This map needs to go further north and south, it skews too much to the west (shocking for this forum, I know).
People started buying up condos near the waterfront 20+ years ago and continued slowly after so that. That trend seemed to fizzle out though, but those who still own them may account for some of the skew. I don't think places like Bellingham Square have gentrified. Prattville and areas around Everett are more middle class as well.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:08 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
People started buying up condos near the waterfront 20+ years ago and continued slowly after so that. That trend seemed to fizzle out though, but those who still own them may account for some of the skew. I don't think places like Bellingham Square have gentrified. Prattville and areas around Everett are more middle class as well.

The condos yes, but much of it (including Bellingham Sq.) is still quite ghetto last I knew. I just would have expected to see a lot more "red" in there. Parts of East Boston are still "red", and I don't consider that to be poorer than Chelsea.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:18 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Eastie probably has more housing project units.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Here is a bigger map. With a bigger map you lose some details.

Anyway, based on the map, I expect a boom in Reading, Burlington, Wilmington, Wakefield area.
Attached Thumbnails
household income map of Boston area-east-mass.png  

Old 11-13-2021, 10:36 AM

21 posts, read 16,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Basically, we can see

upper middle class: Winchester, Weston, Dover,...
typical middle class: Burlington, Natick, Needham...
lower middle class: Stoneham, Watertown, Braintree...
lower class: Lynn, south of Boston, Framingham...

Mixture of upper and middle: Arlington, Newton, Milton...
Mixture of everything: Melrose, Cambridge, Medford...
I can't open up the image. Where can a get a full picture of that map?

If you can give me the link, I'd like to take a look. Thank you!

Old 11-13-2021, 10:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshomebuyer View Post
I can't open up the image. Where can a get a full picture of that map?

If you can give me the link, I'd like to take a look. Thank you!
Sure you can use https://bestneighborhood.org/
There are many options: income, race, education...

Old 11-13-2021, 10:59 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Sure you can use https://bestneighborhood.org/
There are many options: income, race, education...
Interesting tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts