Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 03:01 PM

6,026 posts, read 2,974,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimwriter View Post
Ok, so I've been exploring and reading a lot online.

*I still need to check out Milton.

I went to Fitchburg, and like the layered feel of it. It feels like a big Maynard to me, but more diverse. Any recommendations of what area(s) of Fitchburg have the most rural feel? Hoping for a place where I can head out my front door and go for a walk/run/bike ride and have a low-key neighborhood to do that in - low traffic, etc.

I'm also visiting RI soon. Providence was suggested here, and looks appealing. I'm focusing on Mass, but RI would be an exception. (I've spent time in other surrounding states, and have ruled them out for various reasons.). So same question for the Providence area - any suggestions on an area within, or on the outskirts of the city, that would offer a neighborhood that's good/safe for walking/running/biking? Thanks!
Do you need a local super charger for your EV ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 06:21 PM

23,984 posts, read 19,328,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimwriter View Post
Ok, so I've been exploring and reading a lot online.

*I still need to check out Milton.

I went to Fitchburg, and like the layered feel of it. It feels like a big Maynard to me, but more diverse. Any recommendations of what area(s) of Fitchburg have the most rural feel? Hoping for a place where I can head out my front door and go for a walk/run/bike ride and have a low-key neighborhood to do that in - low traffic, etc.

I'm also visiting RI soon. Providence was suggested here, and looks appealing. I'm focusing on Mass, but RI would be an exception. (I've spent time in other surrounding states, and have ruled them out for various reasons.). So same question for the Providence area - any suggestions on an area within, or on the outskirts of the city, that would offer a neighborhood that's good/safe for walking/running/biking? Thanks!

Would like to help, but it's honestly getting hard to pin down what you are looking for (you seem all over the map in that regard). Have you moved on from the diversity thing, or the open space thing? Please update.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:27 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,582,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Do you need a local super charger for your EV ??
Why would you need that? You need fast charging capabilities when you’re traveling. At home, you charge your EV in your garage.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 AM

728 posts, read 985,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Roads up around Ashburnham Hill Rd and Rindge Rd put you right on the edge of a great Mass Audubon sanctuary and public water supply land with miles of trails. Fitchburg truly is on the edge of nature - some nearby towns to the north like Ashby and into NH have ~3,000 people or less. The entire northern third of Fitchburg itself is even quite rural.

LOL and folks didn’t think Fitchburg could possibly be an option for anyone. There are nice parts to every supposed “dump” in the Commonwealth. If OP liked Maynard and Fitchburg, also don’t overlook Clinton. It’s the next mini milltown up for Maynard / Hudson-ization.
This forum is notorious for that.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
This forum is notorious for that.

It can be, but the OP is looking for a blend of Sudbury and Santa Cruz, CA. No more than an hour from the ocean. Fitchburg is like a blend of Lawrence meets Opiate Hollow, West Virginia. Let's use a little common sense here.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It can be, but the OP is looking for a blend of Sudbury and Santa Cruz, CA. No more than an hour from the ocean. Fitchburg is like a blend of Lawrence meets Opiate Hollow, West Virginia. Let's use a little common sense here.
It's more the suggestions of Lexington and did I see Newton? Like what LOL those places have a sprinkle of racial diversity but last I checked socio-economics aren't strictly based on race. Milton made perfect sense given the way the town is structured and the fact it actually abuts places that are of different socio-economics. Genuinely feel like this place is MetroWest/North propaganda half the time.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
It's more the suggestions of Lexington and did I see Newton? Like what LOL those places have a sprinkle of racial diversity but last I checked socio-economics aren't strictly based on race. Milton made perfect sense given the way the town is structured and the fact it actually abuts places that are of different socio-economics. Genuinely feel like this place is MetroWest/North propaganda half the time.
100% on that part. Most of the forum members here seem to live in Metro-West or north, so I guess the bias is only natural. In addition many here are quite self absorbed and fast to share their own preferences and opinions, yet short on listening/comprehension and observational skills. Quite "tone deaf" you might say.

That said, things like "diversity" can be a tough thing to accommodate. It has so many meanings, to different people. But I will go on a whim, and say a person coming from Sudbury and Santa Cruz, CA, and looking for an artistic community; will not be satisfied with Fitchburg. The "diversity" there consists largely of low income Hispanic and SE Asians who reside in rental housing in the more crowded/urban parts of town and are largely unassimilated. The native working/middle-class whites generally live in the more outlying sections, and live entirely separate lives with little interaction with the prior. OP will have not much more in common with the latter than the prior. Forget about finding a "creative" population among either group. If all you want is to be able to say you live in a "diverse community", that I suppose Fitchburg will do. But if you are looking for any form of a diverse experience and/or social life, North Central Mass. is one of the last places you want to go.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
100% on that part. Most of the forum members here seem to live in Metro-West or north, so I guess the bias is only natural. In addition many here are quite self absorbed and fast to share their own preferences and opinions, yet short on listening/comprehension and observational skills. Quite "tone deaf" you might say.

That said, things like "diversity" can be a tough thing to accommodate. It has so many meanings, to different people. But I will go on a whim, and say a person coming from Sudbury and Santa Cruz, CA, and looking for an artistic community; will not be satisfied with Fitchburg. The "diversity" there consists largely of low income Hispanic and SE Asians who reside in rental housing in the more crowded/urban parts of town and are largely unassimilated. The native working/middle-class whites generally live in the more outlying sections, and live entirely separate lives with little interaction with the prior. OP will have not much more in common with the latter than the prior. Forget about finding a "creative" population among either group. If all you want is to be able to say you live in a "diverse community", that I suppose Fitchburg will do. But if you are looking for any form of a diverse experience and/or social life, North Central Mass. is one of the last places you want to go.
I haven't been out to Fitchburg so I can't say much but I feel like a place like Lynn or outside of Lynn might be good. They have a good creative scene.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:24 AM

21,897 posts, read 13,228,303 times
Quote:
It is but Lexington is very Asian, If the Asian population were black we'd all be saying how diverse it is. newton is not actually diverse. Obviously, the racial dynamics are different from black to Asian but I would consider Lexington reasonably diverse.

Fitchburg is a hole, it has suburban parts (most of it) but that doesn't make them 'nice' nor does it make Fitchburg even remotely desirable. But yea it has an urban edge. Idk if its "nature-oriented" though.

Al lot of the crappy places in MA dont look like FLlnt or Camden but they're still miserable/depressing and have huge amounts of social dysfunction and dont offer you much. And they're not really "safe" either.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:34 AM

21,897 posts, read 13,228,303 times
Quote:
I haven't been out to Fitchburg so I can't say much but I feel like a place like Lynn or outside of Lynn might be good. They have a good creative scene.
Lynn>>>Fitchburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts