Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 5,947 times

Advertisements

We just checked out a house in Acton, and everything looks amazing, almost perfect for our home, except...there's a patch of small wet land right next to it. A seller's realtor made sure that there has been no drop of water got into the home this summer, but I'm still concerned about the potential flooding that will happen as a climate change gets worse. Also the stench is a common issue with wetlands apparently but I couldn't smell anything today when I was there. Plus I read it could be a breeding ground for mosquitos, which I'm concerned about too.

Are these a common problem with a house next to a wetland?

I'm kind of sad that we will probably have to give up on it since I fell in love with this house when I was visiting it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 05:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Wetlands will indeed bring more mosquitoes. Stench, I dunno, some swampy areas do have an earthy smell from rotting organic matter, but not all.

If the house is at least 10 feet higher than the wetland, you don't necessarily have significant flooding risk there - I'd be more worried about being next to a creek subject to heavy spring flooding. I think you should be able to check FEMA flood maps? And I wouldn't worry about climate change - sea level may be slowly rising but that doesn't affect inland properties. Now, some areas may get more rain due to climate change, but I haven't yet heard that will be the case in Massachusetts. Wetlands often bring wildlife like wading birds, and can provide a nightly symphony of frog and bird calls - so there are benefits.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Wetlands will indeed bring more mosquitoes. Stench, I dunno, some swampy areas do have an earthy smell from rotting organic matter, but not all.

If the house is at least 10 feet higher than the wetland, you don't necessarily have significant flooding risk there - I'd be more worried about being next to a creek subject to heavy spring flooding. I think you should be able to check FEMA flood maps? And I wouldn't worry about climate change - sea level may be slowly rising but that doesn't affect inland properties. Now, some areas may get more rain due to climate change, but I haven't yet heard that will be the case in Massachusetts. Wetlands often bring wildlife like wading birds, and can provide a nightly symphony of frog and bird calls - so there are benefits.

Thank you so much for the reply! I feel a bit optimistic about it now. Are the snakes one of the potential wildlife components too as well in Massachusetts?

Old 09-11-2021, 05:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonBunny View Post
Thank you so much for the reply! I feel a bit optimistic about it now. Are the snakes one of the potential wildlife components too as well in Massachusetts?
You can have snakes in most any rural area, you don't need a wetland. There are two venomous snakes in Mass - rattlesnakes and copperheads. They aren't thick here though, and the rest can't hurt you. I like being outside, and I don't worry much about snakes. Snake bites are defensive, not offensive. Don't touch them, don't step on or next to them, and you're fine.

P.S. I found a Tufts page on Mass venomous snakes, and they have some info on our copperheads and rattlers. Both are endangered - reinforcing the idea they are uncommon, and they make the point that they are easily recognized by their large triangular heads.
https://wildlife.tufts.edu/found-wil...enomous-snake/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-11-2021 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You can have snakes in most any rural area, you don't need a wetland. There are two venomous snakes in Mass - rattlesnakes and copperheads. They aren't thick here though, and the rest can't hurt you. I like being outside, and I don't worry much about snakes. Snake bites are defensive, not offensive. Don't touch them, don't step on or next to them, and you're fine.
I see, thank you so much

Old 09-12-2021, 06:41 AM

132 posts, read 182,227 times
Talk to the neighbors. If their is a flooding problem they will most likely tell you. Any house can get flooding if there is a ton of rain in a short period of time. Put in a sump pump with a battery back-up. Check the grading around the house and gutters.

Your chances of running into a venomous snake in metro Boston are slim. Snakes in general are useful as they keep the rodent populous in control.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
There are no venomous snake populations close to acton. Closest one is over 30 miles away. They are damn hard to find. I probably spent 50 hrs searching, and I knew the habitat requirements, to find my first in Mass.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:51 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
One of my sons is a realtor in the Acton market. Most houses in Acton are going for 10-20% over asking price so I don't think proximity to a "small wetland" is going to discourage too many buyers. If you are truly interested you should move swiftly with a strong offer.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:53 AM

134 posts, read 218,900 times
Sump Pump with battery back up is a good idea. If you want to be safe get a back up sump pump. One concern for house near wetland is if the town identify it as wetland/conservation land, it will limit your rebuild/expansion/renovation potential. Also, find a rainy day and drive to the house and see how wet is the land near the wetland (i.e. whether the gradient allows proper runoff)...

Old 09-13-2021, 08:17 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
I'd personally avoid buying property which abuts wetlands, even if that property falls outside FEMA flood zones.

I've lived near, but not abutting wetlands including my current home and the mosquito and fly populations render my neighbor's outdoor spaces effectively unusable from mid-April through October. This includes mid-day if the lot is heavily wooded/shaded. They leverage spraying and propane or similar traps, but these are only so effective without Disney-level resources.

My property is manageable as I'm on an exposed south facing hill meaning it sees little standing water, ample sun/heat, and a near constant breeze. Even then, the dusk to 12am hours requires DEET sprays and other deterrents if you wish to enjoy the outdoor space ... a smokey fire won't cut it.

This said, it's very lifestyle dependent. Given my work schedule and young child, I prefer to maximize those 5:30pm-8pm hours outside. The SAHMs in my neighborhood simply prioritize midday outdoor play as their schedule allows for it.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 09-13-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts