Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 06:18 AM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingotherthings View Post
Nice find, not bad at all.

We have only put in two offers since we started searching over a year and a half ago, and to be honest I had reservations about both and actually felt a bit relieved when our bids were rejected. But I wouldn't say our lack of offer-making is because we've been so undecided about the towns; more because I just haven't really been sold on most of the houses we've seen that are in our budget, for one reason or another.

I'm sure many folks will say we are being too picky – and I can't disagree with that. But I feel like I should be at least somewhat excited about a house to put an offer on it, and I just haven't felt that with most of the houses we've seen. I am really trying to compromise on my must-haves, as I've described in previous responses – and I am no longer under the illusion that I can afford the house I want in a tier 1 town. But I still think we can do better than most of the houses we've seen so far.

Anyways, good luck with your house search too! I feel your pain!
If you're moving from an area with a lower cost of housing - which most people are, then by definition, you're going to get less house for your money here, and that can be a lot less. I was working in Kodak's central R&D facility in Rochester, NY in the late 1990s when I was laid off. I got a job at a biotechnology company in Cambridge and came to Mass. I paid double the price and got a house that was half the size (4x cost per square foot) on a much smaller lot and wasn't built to anywhere near the same standard. It was a difficult adjustment, psychologically - but at that point I had already accepted the job, and reality was what it was.

I have never regretted the move though, and the reality is that the higher cost reflects an area that is more dynamic in terms of business and education, close to the ocean and with mountains in the region. The town I live in has a great historical market square area and beautiful harborfront, a national wildlife refuge on a barrier island on the east flank and a beautiful state park on a former estate on the Merrimack River on its west flank. I walk up the street and take pictures at sunrise that look like other people's vacation pictures. Do I miss the big, elegant Italianate house with the library back in Rochester? Yes. Do I wish I had stayed there? No.

It can be a big adjustment for sure. I recall the realtor I was working with saying she had recently had a couple from an upscale Phila suburb lose their s---, yelling at her when she showed them a house - "How dare you show us this house!!!" - as if she was causing the sticker shock, LOL. I mean, if you don't have a compelling reason to move, and you're pretty happy where you are and the cost of housing is a good deal lower, I can understand not moving.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-15-2022 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 07:12 AM

145 posts, read 189,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If you're moving from an area with a lower cost of housing - which most people are, then by definition, you're going to get less house for your money here, and that can be a lot less. I was working in Kodak's central R&D facility in Rochester, NY in the late 1990s when I was laid off. I got a job at a biotechnology company in Cambridge and came to Mass. I paid double the price and got a house that was half the size (4x cost per square foot) on a much smaller lot and wasn't built to anywhere near the same standard. It was a difficult adjustment, psychologically - but at that point I had already accepted the job, and reality was what it was.

I have never regretted the move though, and the reality is that the higher cost reflects an area that is more dynamic in terms of business and education, close to the ocean and with mountains in the region. The town I live in has a great historical market square area and beautiful harborfront, a national wildlife refuge on a barrier island on the east flank and a beautiful state park on a former estate on the Merrimack River on its west flank. I walk up the street and take pictures at sunrise that look like other people's vacation pictures. Do I miss the big, elegant Italianate house with the library back in Rochester? Yes. Do I wish I had stayed there? No.

It can be a big adjustment for sure. I recall the realtor I was working with saying she had recently had a couple from an upscale Phila suburb lose their s---, yelling at her when she showed them a house - "How dare you show us this house!!!" - as if she was causing the sticker shock, LOL. I mean, if you don't have a compelling reason to move, and you're pretty happy where you are and the cost of housing is a good deal lower, I can understand not moving.
I appreciate you sharing that background, but to clarify I did grow up here – in Brookline. Of course Brookline is untouchable now. We are currently renting in Waltham. Even though I've lived in the Greater Boston area most of my life, towns outside 128 were almost completely off my radar. When we first started house shopping last year I was surprised to realize just how many towns had no true town center, none-to-few commercial areas, and no walkability. I definitely took that for granted growing up.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:53 AM

181 posts, read 124,814 times
Quote:

Still a young'n – under 2.
just a thought. you might consider removing the "good school" criteria, search for a place to live for 5 years, and then move to a town with "good schools" once your kid is old enough to enroll.

we bought in billerica a year ago, and we are expecting our first child soon. the plan is to re-evaluate in 6-7 years when schools are actually a concern. it may be the case that billerica schools meet our expectations when it matters, but we don't have to worry about it yet. right now we get access to the housing ladder while keeping the housing expense below 20% of our household income.

my $.02

Old 07-16-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
just a thought. you might consider removing the "good school" criteria, search for a place to live for 5 years, and then move to a town with "good schools" once your kid is old enough to enroll.

we bought in billerica a year ago, and we are expecting our first child soon. the plan is to re-evaluate in 6-7 years when schools are actually a concern. it may be the case that billerica schools meet our expectations when it matters, but we don't have to worry about it yet. right now we get access to the housing ladder while keeping the housing expense below 20% of our household income.

my $.02

Congrats on your upcoming child and the new house!

I am partially on board with removing the schools criteria for the reasons you mentioned, although to some extent school level is partially a proxy for how safe/nice a town is, and that we don't want to compromise on. We also don't want to move to a town where we don't think the schools will improve, because we want to buy in a town that at least has a possibility of being the right town for us long term. Otherwise moving your kids once they've established their friend group can be difficult for them. But, we are definitely open to towns with okay school systems but that we think have a decent shot of improving. North Waltham (and Cedarwood to the south) I think definitely fit those bills. I think Billerica is a good choice too – we are open to it as long as we can find something that meets our walkability criteria, which as I've described here we've relaxed significantly since starting our house search but still want to be walkable to at least one school and at least one food/market spot.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:35 AM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
I appreciate you sharing that background, but to clarify I did grow up here – in Brookline. Of course Brookline is untouchable now. We are currently renting in Waltham. Even though I've lived in the Greater Boston area most of my life, towns outside 128 were almost completely off my radar. When we first started house shopping last year I was surprised to realize just how many towns had no true town center, none-to-few commercial areas, and no walkability. I definitely took that for granted growing up.
I was trying to commiserate and sympathize with your situation. If you're saying hey, we know the area and we know the market - then you shouldn't be surprised or dismayed that it's hard to find a place that many people would consider ideal that's within your budget - even if that's considerable. Highly desirable for most people -> high demand -> highly priced.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:59 AM

257 posts, read 258,564 times
I have been following this thread since you first posted and shared a lot of the same anxieties about finding the right town/house. It took us a year+ after selling our place to find a new house. We ended up compromising on having an up-to-date house and prioritizing the location and the lot. I think the best advice is to focus on the exact town/neighborhood you want and then find something that is dated but functional. You might have to live with a 1980s kitchen (we are) but I do not think you will regret being in a nice town with good schools closer to your work. I think it is risky in this economy to buy something far away from employment centers or in a town with lackluster schools. I would be worried about being stuck somewhere I never really wanted to live in. I empathize with your house buying struggle because we just went through it. What seems like a great budget doesn’t get you what you feel it should. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I have been following this thread since you first posted and shared a lot of the same anxieties about finding the right town/house. It took us a year+ after selling our place to find a new house. We ended up compromising on having an up-to-date house and prioritizing the location and the lot. I think the best advice is to focus on the exact town/neighborhood you want and then find something that is dated but functional. You might have to live with a 1980s kitchen (we are) but I do not think you will regret being in a nice town with good schools closer to your work. I think it is risky in this economy to buy something far away from employment centers or in a town with lackluster schools. I would be worried about being stuck somewhere I never really wanted to live in. I empathize with your house buying struggle because we just went through it. What seems like a great budget doesn’t get you what you feel it should. Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. Glad you've found a house in a neighborhood you like!

We actually found a house this week which we are planning to make an offer on.. Don't want to give too many details, not because I don't trust you all but you never know what kind of malicious actor could be trawling public forums for info.. I'll say it compromises a little bit on house quality to get into a very good town, but it is not bad, definitely move-in ready.

Anyway we'll see what happens but I am crossing my fingers

Old 07-18-2022, 03:46 PM

257 posts, read 258,564 times
That’s awesome! Fingers crossed for you. We made the same compromise. You can always update the house down the road

Old 07-19-2022, 08:45 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post

Crotchester is cheap for a reason, so are other many cheap locations.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
That’s awesome! Fingers crossed for you. We made the same compromise. You can always update the house down the road
Unfortunately our offer was not accepted. Since we didn't get the house I don't mind sharing the listing now: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Arlington/...6/home/8457418

We were one of four offers, but apparently one of the offers was significantly over ask with all contingencies waived. Which means we never really had a shot at it. Oh well, onto the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts