Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 AM

13 posts, read 19,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The question pertains to places where affluent blacks choose to make their homes.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 08:30 AM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times
And I said there isn't one particular place.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:33 AM

84 posts, read 76,870 times
The most diverse part of Dedham is East Dedham, which is the least affulent part off that town. East Dedham isn't a bad place, but it doesn't have the wealthy vibe of Precinct One or Greenlodge.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:34 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The question pertains to places where affluent blacks choose to make their homes.
Wherever they want.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:38 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
South of Boston-primarily Milton (15% black) Norwood (8% black) Stoughton(15%black) Canton (6% black) Randolph (45% black) Holbrook(17% black) Avon(18% black))

North of Boston-Medford(9% black) Cambridge(11% BLack) Woburn(7% Black) Malden (18% black)

West of Boston- Framingham (7% black), Newton (3% black), Dedham (8% black)

In Boston- South End 16% black) , Southern Mattapan (95% black), Southern Dorchester (60% black), pockets of Roxbury(50% black) Roslindale (22% black) and Hyde Park (45% black)

Bolded ones are stronger. The area south of Boston centered around ~Avon MA is your best bet. town ranging from 8-51% black.

Notable middle-class black population within the city of Brockton which is the blackest city in New England. Its a lower middle class or working-class city but its very suburban and there are ~48,000 black people in its city limits.

I'd suggest you go to blackboston.org bostonwhileblack.com and Roxbury Cultural District they have resources to point you in the right direction

Old 01-17-2021, 08:38 AM

13 posts, read 19,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
First off, expectations should be tempered as MA generally lacks the large solidly middle class black communities seen in MD, TX, GA or other areas of the country which have a significant black populations.

Milton, as mentioned, is worth a look. Dorchester and Roxbury have a number of solidly middle class and upper middle class homeowners, though if schools are a concern one should probably factor in the costs of a private education if living within.

Realistically, I think a lot of middle class black families are scattered throughout greater Boston and especially south of Boston and have chosen economic parity over racial diversity. Towns like Norwood and Canton come to mind.
Thanks. I grew up in a place as the ONLY black kid and am looking for a place where there will at least be a few other black/mixed kids with parents who have around $200k+ take home pay. I realize MA is not comparable to MD or TX in terms of diversity. I'm just trying not to repeat a situation where the family feels isolated. That being said, we will choose economic parity over racial diversity if need be.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:39 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Wherever they want.
Obviously. But unfortunately passive virtue-signalling does not help the person who posed the question.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander617 View Post
The most diverse part of Dedham is East Dedham, which is the least affulent part off that town. East Dedham isn't a bad place, but it doesn't have the wealthy vibe of Precinct One or Greenlodge.
Yea it doesnt but there's black people shopping and working all over Dedham and they are a part of the town so it's much better than 90% of MA options. Also, you're very close to Hyde Park and Roslindale and other towns with substantial black populations. East Dedham doesn't have a polished vibe but pockets of it feel nice and middle class. Fairly diverse schools and commuter rail/highway access.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
South of Boston-primarily Milton (15% black) Norwood (8% black) Stoughton(15%black) Canton (6% black) Randolph (45% black) Holbrook(17% black) Avon(18% black))

North of Boston-Medford(9% black) Cambridge(11% BLack) Woburn(7% Black) Malden (18% black)

West of Boston- Framingham (7% black), Newton (3% black), Dedham (8% black)

In Boston- South End 16% black) , Southern Mattapan (95% black), Southern Dorchester (60% black), pockets of Roxbury(50% black) Roslindale (22% black) and Hyde Park (45% black)

Bolded ones are stronger. The area south of Boston centered around ~Avon MA is your best bet. town ranging from 8-51% black.

Notable middle-class black population within the city of Brockton which is the blackest city in New England. Its a lower middle class or working-class city but its very suburban and there are ~48,000 black people in its city limits.

I'd suggest you go to blackboston.org bostonwhileblack.com and Roxbury Cultural District they have resources to point you in the right direction
Randolph is more on the lower-middle-class end of things, as is Brockton (at its very best). I think Milton or Canton would be the best out of that bunch.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
First off, expectations should be tempered as MA generally lacks the large solidly middle class black communities seen in MD, TX, GA or other areas of the country which have a significant black populations.

Milton, as mentioned, is worth a look. Dorchester and Roxbury have a number of solidly middle class and upper middle class homeowners, though if schools are a concern one should probably factor in the costs of a private education if living within.

Realistically, I think a lot of middle class black families are scattered throughout greater Boston and especially south of Boston and have chosen economic parity over racial diversity. Towns like Norwood and Canton come to mind.
Strong answer. Milton is the best of course. I'd just try to stick between Milton and Brockton -you could find a nice newly built home in a secluded minis subdivision part of Brockton-I know one black Boston Globe journalist who bought there.

I do know a black doctor in Foxboro (6/7% black) and there is a plurality black charter school in Foxboro, (Foxborough Regional Charter School s like 40% black).

If you can afford it id stay with South End/Lower Roxbury/ Southern Dorchester or Hyde Park and use alternative schooling. FOr culture and entetainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts