Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times

Advertisements

“Income and education” = of the households within a given community.

A district’s per student cost is, as you state, poorly correlated to good outcomes. It’s about the ‘quality’ of the households leveraging given district which is why Niche is about as useful as reviewing median income and educational attainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 12:39 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I can't quite figure out who the high income Dorchester earners are these days. There are definitely beautiful homes in the Ashmont/Melville at area that don't come cheap. It was once an area that attracted a lot of gay men but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. My co worker who is from the Midwest and came out here to go to Harvard now lives off of Melville ave. There's still quite a bit of crime in that area.
People native to Dorchester who are successful and DINKS priced out of Southie. Generally, I dont think there are a ton of high-earners in Dorchester. Those that usually are dual-income households based in Nonprofits, healthcare, buildings and trades, and academia. There are very real and visible ceilings to their potential earnings.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:58 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
“Income and education” = of the households within a given community.

A district’s per student cost is, as you state, poorly correlated to good outcomes. It’s about the ‘quality’ of the households leveraging given district which is why Niche is about as useful as reviewing median income and educational attainment.

It's the parents, like usual. A distant second is peer group which is why the demand for the gold plated suburbs where most have white collar professional parents. We've covered this ground many times but you could use new grad bright university grads paid next to nothing and hold classes under an apple tree and the top-10 Boston suburbs would still have a good educational outcome.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:11 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So a white collar professional earning $75k is not a good enough role model for their kids?

And if some town has a $90K median income, that means 50% of the town is above that. A town of 20K adults with 35% having college degrees, that's 7,000 people still. A community does not need to be exclusively affluent to find a suitable peer group.

In the Boston suburbs, $75k to $100k towns are trade people with a license and a pickup truck or panel van. College for most of the 35% is somewhere that will take low 500's SAT Math & Verbal scores and mediocre grades. Schools like that are not academically rigorous. If you're a higher income white collar professional where you want your kids to have other white collar professional role models, you're not going to pick that kind of town.

West Bridgewater. 35.4% with college degrees. $97k median household income. Places like that.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In the Boston suburbs, $75k to $100k towns are trade people with a license and a pickup truck or panel van. College for most of the 35% is somewhere that will take low 500's SAT Math & Verbal scores and mediocre grades. Schools like that are not academically rigorous. If you're a higher income white collar professional where you want your kids to have other white collar professional role models, you're not going to pick that kind of town.

West Bridgewater. 35.4% with college degrees. $97k median household income. Places like that.
I mean that's the vast majority of Boston suburbs though. And this is a metro people consider highly educated and wealthy as is. I'm sure black families making 200k live in places with fewer than 35% college degree and 100k median income all over the south.

For example, Prince George's County, Maryland is the wealthiest majority-black county in the US-by far.

Median income? 86k
Percent ith college degree 33.4%

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ges-county-md/

This aligns almost perfectly with Randolph and home values are nearly identical at 335k.

Yet this is where the black elite/black professionals of the US call their homeland. That is THE county. And its homicide rate is higher than the city of Bostons... its just a different playing field for African Americans and I really don't think you're taking that into consideration, at least not enough.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
For example, Prince George's County, Maryland is the wealthiest majority-black county in the US-by far.

Median income? 86k
Percent ith college degree 33.4%
The fact that is the wealthiest majority black county doesn't necessarily mean that really affluent black people live in it.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The fact that is the wealthiest majority black county doesn't necessarily mean that really affluent black people live in it.
So you’ve never been to Prince Georges County.

Because if you had... and you said this you’d have to be a crack addict or have some type of mental define envy that wouldn’t allow you to post on this board. Your comment is really that far off the mark.

I lived there. I’d recommend you go talk to some folks about PG. At bare minimum go look at the income and demographics of different census tracts there.

5 of the 10 most affluent African American census tracts in the country are in that county.

Tens of thousands of upper middle class to upper class African American families.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:00 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So you’ve never been to Prince Georges County.

Because if you had... and you said this you’d have to be a crack addict or have some type of mental define envy that wouldn’t allow you to post on this board.

I lived there. I’d recommend you go talk to some folks about PG.
I mean, you are comparing a county with 900k people to...Weston? Randolph? Newton? What are you comparing? Tiny towns with a county larger than Suffolk? What's the point?
Isn't kind of obvious that there is much more economic variability in a huge place compared to a tiny one? 86k for a county is high. For a city is not that high.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I mean, you are comparing a county with 900k people to...Weston? Randolph? Newton? What are you comparing? Tiny towns with a county larger than Suffolk? What's the point?
Isn't kind of obvious that there is much more economic variability in a huge place compared to a tiny one?
My point is Randolph and PG both have a a wide range of economics which is standards within any large African American community. The presence of some lower income (black?)people is not as big a detterent for most African Americans as it is for white people.

Randolph, like a smaller PG economically-has pockets of garden style apartments (what you’d find in Temple Hills Maryland) as well as brand new subdivision housing what you’d find in (Cheltenham or Accokeek Maryland). As MassNative2891 said Randolph is always an option for professional black people because you look there after Milton. It’s not perceived the same by white people. That’s evidenced via the white flight. it’s not like Randolph is actually accessible o the unemployed or desperate-it’s not. You have to be some form of middle class to get into Randolph and form there, it’s upwards..

In the end of the day you’re gonna have a solid chance of meeting a 200k per year Black or mixed race couple in Randolph. There’s some 5000 black households there... most of whom make over 80k a year, someone break doesn’t he standard deviations on that?

Old 01-20-2021, 02:10 PM

16,358 posts, read 8,174,665 times
A 200k income couple these days of any race around here is sadly no big deal. All it takes is two 100k incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts