Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 07:30 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Nashua? Lmao, so ‘hood’ it has Whole Foods. Nashua’s poverty is almost entirely ‘contained’ within the Tree Streets and neighborhoods east of Main. The rest of the city is either middle class residential or commercial serving the middle class within or neighboring Nashua. Not much ‘hood’ about it.

If we’re truly talking the northeast that includes MA cities like Lawrence and Brockton, but also definitely includes CT cities like Bridgeport and New Haven, as well as objectively worse NJ cities like Passaic, Newark, Camden.
This. Nashua ain't hood, not even compared to Manchester. But no nothing in Northern New England counts. 20 dudes from Lynn could take over the streets of Nashua by the end of the week lol. NNE is where guys from MA and CT go to get their jollies, buy guns, and meet junkies like Paul LePage didn't entirely fabricate what was going on lol-could have worded it better and taken some accountability but yea..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 07:35 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Nashua? Lmao
An Uber driver from Nashua once told me all of their crime comes from Tyngsborough "those boys bring all the drugs, we had no problem before!"

Old 01-05-2021, 07:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Albany would be accurate but I didn’t list it for one/two reasons.

Albany is not nearly as hood as Lawrence. Lawrence is further east and just barely south so I feel like it’s just as physically remote-maybe less since it’s so close to Boston...

But yea Totally different demographics. But yea Albany has hoods. I bypassed Albany because the word association isn’t there with hood and Albany which is actually a nice functional city by and large.

Lawrence is better than in 2012 but it’s still a social services nightmare.
Maybe Troy in same category as Albany-- some hood, no match for Lawrence. It's a few miles north of Albany but Lawrence may be N of both. Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all have major hoods and all north of Lawrence, Albany and Troy.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:43 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
As per usual routine, people here fail to read the OP and miss essential details like "I’m also thinking about cities with bad high crime areas in mostly good cities.".

Now as for NNE; yes Lewiston, Manchester, Nashua...even Portland has neighborhoods easily considered rough and "ghetto". Then you have your tough mill towns like Rochester, Somersworth and Claremount in NH and Biddeford in ME (kind of the same deal). "Hardcore hood", absolutely not. I'll definitely go with Lawrence as well, as the most north legit one.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:50 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
While not attractive, Albany seems pretty vacant when the state government offices are not open.

Hard to beat Lawrence.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:50 AM

Just to put things in perspective, Lawrence is the 10th city in MA in term of violent crime per capita(and definitely the most northern one) at around 600 per 100,000 people. Nashua stands around 140 per 100,000, Lewiston around 150. Both Nashua and Lewiston have a lower violent crime rate than the US overall.

https://thisweekinworcester.com/2018...ies-mass-twiw/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-states/

Old 01-05-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Just to put things in perspective, Lawrence is the 10th city in MA in term of violent crime per capita(and definitely the most northern one) at around 600 per 100,000 people. Nashua stands around 140 per 100,000, Lewiston around 150. Both Nashua and Lewiston have a lower violent crime rate than the US overall.

https://thisweekinworcester.com/2018...ies-mass-twiw/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-states/

Doesn't mean those cities don't contain ghetto neighborhoods though.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:02 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As per usual routine, people here fail to read the OP and miss essential details like "I’m also thinking about cities with bad high crime areas in mostly good cities.".

Now as for NNE; yes Lewiston, Manchester, Nashua...even Portland has neighborhoods easily considered rough and "ghetto". Then you have your tough mill towns like Rochester, Somersworth and Claremount in NH and Biddeford in ME (kind of the same deal). "Hardcore hood", absolutely not. I'll definitely go with Lawrence as well, as the most north legit one.
He framed it as “city or town”. Nashua, or even Manchester are thoroughly middle class residential. Same for cities like Worcester or even Brockton. There simply aren’t many ‘hood’ cities in NNE.

Sure, they have neighborhoods or blocks which have serious social/financial issues, but it’s not the dominant vibe of the city. By these low standards, Boston neighborhoods and NYC ‘boroughs are also worth noting. Is Boston ‘hood’? No, not really when most lament the ‘tech bro takeover’.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
He framed it as “city or town”. Nashua, or even Manchester are thoroughly middle class residential. Same for cities like Worcester or even Brockton. There simply aren’t many ‘hood’ cities in NNE.

Sure, they have neighborhoods or blocks which have serious social/financial issues, but it’s not the dominant vibe of the city. By these low standards, Boston neighborhoods and NYC ‘boroughs are also worth noting. Is Boston ‘hood’? No, not really when most lament the ‘tech bro takeover’.

Once again, he clarified his post to include "I’m also thinking about cities with bad high crime areas in mostly good cities.". Boston and Worcester both easily fall under that categorization. Lawrence is further north, however.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Doesn't mean those cities don't contain ghetto neighborhoods though.
I think that's a completely separate question. I know OP asked about that too but that is not what people are talking about.
Especially because that is often in comparison to the rest of the surrounding area. I am sure Portland has areas that are considered ghetto by locals, probably Burlington too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts