Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2021, 10:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
OK what about all the others I mentioned. So you pick one out of five.moreover wealth is made by investments not education. While you do earn more threw a higher paying job with higher education you still are paying income taxes that max at 31% vs capital gains at 15%. Lookup Ronald Read and get back to us
None of the towns between the Massachusetts line and downtown Hartford with train stations or projected train stations are remotely in the “gold plated suburb” category. Those start with 60% college educated adults. West Hartford is 64.7%. Glastonbury is 63%. Avon is 66.2%. Farmington is 60%. Simsbury is 65.3%.

Longmeadow Ma is 65.1%. No way they would allow high density housing at a train station. Enfield CT is 27%. All those Connecticut towns on the river between Springfield and Hartford are like that. South Windsor is as good as it gets at 49.4% and that’s on the wrong side of the river from the train tracks. Windsor is 41%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 11:35 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
None of the towns between the Massachusetts line and downtown Hartford with train stations or projected train stations are remotely in the “gold plated suburb” category. Those start with 60% college educated adults. West Hartford is 64.7%. Glastonbury is 63%. Avon is 66.2%. Farmington is 60%. Simsbury is 65.3%.

Longmeadow Ma is 65.1%. No way they would allow high density housing at a train station. Enfield CT is 27%. All those Connecticut towns on the river between Springfield and Hartford are like that. South Windsor is as good as it gets at 49.4% and that’s on the wrong side of the river from the train tracks. Windsor is 41%.
Hello did you read the articles or not? There's a west hartford station planned. I didn't say longmeadow could because that would cause the track to zig zag and be physically impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbu...n_(Connecticut)

Look at the interactive map
https://nhhsrail.com/info_center/improvements_map.aspx

it's on a map, it's funded the busway is right there next to the track. now this wasn't there 10 years ago but gradually it was put in. There's parking and it physically exists. So yes there is a rail station planned in west hartford and has for some time.

Glastonbury, Avon, Farmington and simsbury are not on the line. West Hartford clearly is.

When you refer to high density housing do you mean simply the number of people there or something of a low to moderate income? Obviously from the reports they don't mind market rate.

simsbury currently has 240 apartments on the market
https://www.apartments.com/simsbury-ct/

Farmington 199
https://www.apartments.com/farmington-ct/

Avon 71
https://www.apartments.com/avon-ct/

Glastonbury 89
https://www.apartments.com/apartments/glastonbury-ct/

So if you make a claim that high density is bad man I have to tell you that you are easily losing this argument. I show evidence that the west hartford station is real and evidence there's an active and growing rental market in CT. Are these low income? No not at all. Many of these are very nice lookin areas that vary from $1200-2000 a month. they look great to me.

Transit generally improves property values. I've seen it in Mass in the late 90's and everything along the commuter rail went up significantly. Post covid if you want people to go back to the office and everyone drives the traffic will grind to a halt. Not everyone can afford another car. Transit authorities are starting to authorize free passes for not weeks but months. I've heard this coming down from the PVTA. Will it work? I don't know but we can't exactly expect people to go back to work from telecommutting to 60 minute commutes each way. Of course this has a huge impact on the housing market as well. Imagine you bought a house in braintree and things are quiet. Then the call to come back creates a backup and brings air pollution with it. A quiet place for kids suddenly isn't. School districts might see a back and forth in enrollment which really messes with kids. I grew up by a military base and you'd see students a few year and then gone and then back again.

Housing is a need and by default developers can and often do redevelop properties to fulfill that demand. Recently I read that two strip clubs are going to be demoed for housing and a supermarket. https://www.masslive.com/news/2021/0...-purchase.html
How many other defunct businesses are just sitting there waiting to be redeveloped?

Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There's a west hartford station planned. I didn't say longmeadow could because that would cause the track to zig zag and be physically impossible.

West Hartford is the poster child for avoiding high density housing at all costs through snob zoning. The mill rate is an astounding $41.80 per thousand valuation. West Hartford can't even afford to spend the state average in per-pupil school budget since the tax base includes all that lower income housing at the Hartford line south of Farmington Ave. It doesn't take much of a house in the good half of town to have a $20,000 property tax bill.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:06 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
The mill rate is an astounding $41.80 per thousand valuation.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:37 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
And here I was thinking Brookline/Hollis were nose bleed inducing. At least there’s no income tax in NH.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right, I'm all about having my own yard and space and privacy but I can at least understand that people have different wants and needs and perhaps want city living. id77 seems to think EVERYONE and their mother wants to live in Back Bay and South end and anyone who doesn't just can't afford it. Some people would prefer to live on a farm in VT over back bay. And yes some would simply prefer to live in Charlestown. I personally don't get the draw to back bay other than it's walkable? Otherwise just seems like you're inhaling a lot of car fumes and have to see a boatload of people everytime you leave your living space.
And neither I nor anyone else is faulting you for this, so I'm not sure why you're feeling aggrieved here.

So, let's recap. The question was asked what the appeal of Charlestown was, and as someone who was a potential Charlestown buyer in 2020, I offered a perspective. I then got told I was ignorant and wrong for having done so, by people who weren't potential Charlestown buyers and/or weren't recently. By pointing that out, I'm now apparently crapping on you and suburban living? How did we even get here?

I'm not sure what response you would expect from me when you also expect everyone and their mother to agree that Boston is dying and everyone should be fleeing to the leafy suburbs. All I'm pointing out is that, contrary to that belief, no, many of us living in Boston aren't all kicking and screaming to flee out the leafy suburbs.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:17 AM

16,407 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I never said Boston was dying out. I just said not everyone wants to live in Back Bay. I do think there's been exodus from Greater Boston this past year. Doesn't mean more people aren't moving in.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
And here I was thinking Brookline/Hollis were nose bleed inducing. At least there’s no income tax in NH.
There’s a bit of hyperbole with that mil rate. Connecticut taxes at 70% of appraised value. The effective rate is $29.26. They don’t have prop 2 1/2 so their auto excise tax is based on book value with average miles. That luxury crossover everyone in West Hartford drives has some big yearly property taxes that don’t decline quickly like in Massachusetts.

West Hartford does spend below the state average per pupil. It’s not lower Fairfield County housing costs but it’s pretty high cost of living there. Simsbury, Avon, and Farmington west of West Hartford use it as an object lesson for keeping snob zoning. The bottom 30% in the town eats up the majority of the budget.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:27 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
There’s a bit of hyperbole with that mil rate. Connecticut taxes at 70% of appraised value. The effective rate is $29.26. They don’t have prop 2 1/2 so their auto excise tax is based on book value with average miles. That luxury crossover everyone in West Hartford drives has some big yearly property taxes that don’t decline quickly like in Massachusetts.

West Hartford does spend below the state average per pupil. It’s not lower Fairfield County housing costs but it’s pretty high cost of living there. Simsbury, Avon, and Farmington west of West Hartford use it as an object lesson for keeping snob zoning. The bottom 30% in the town eats up the majority of the budget.
That’s still very high given CT’s additional income tax, which is also higher than MA’s. Brookline/Hollis is a top 5 NH district in a no income tax state ... 29/23 per thou.

Now I know why CT has a flight issue.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That’s still very high given CT’s additional income tax, which is also higher than MA’s. Brookline/Hollis is a top 5 NH district in a no income tax state ... 29/23 per thou.

Now I know why CT has a flight issue.
Yep. It’s a graduated tax. On a joint return, the 5.5% bracket starts at $100k and the 6% bracket starts at $200k. If you’re low income, it’s lower than Massachusetts. Sales tax is also a bit higher at 6.35% and they tax clothing. The gasoline tax is very high.

By NYC tri-state standards, it’s lower tax. A lower Fairfield County town like Westport with snob zoning and low birth rates has a $11.70 effective property tax rate. Greenwich is below $10.

Connecticut didn’t have Prop 2 1/2 so there were no constraints on the local public sector unions for the last 40 years. You can imagine the rampant unfunded pension liability problem. Massachusetts isn’t pretty but Connecticut is going to have painful issues.

Going back on-topic, in my corner of the economic third world, the towns all use the Bristol County retirement system which is on year 6 of a 20 year plan to get to 100% funding. It makes some market return assumptions that might not happen but it’s not awful. New Bedford and Fall River do their own and are a ticking time bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts