Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 07:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...ld/7509030002/

Projects being either delayed or cut back. When you have people under a contract and prices go up sometimes contractors have to eat the costs. The other issue is when something gets substituted. So people switched from pvc to steel pipes? Hmm. I can wait for some work to get done. I'm glad I have wood taken care of for the most part. Can't see landscaping really going up in price.
Have you tried to hire a landscaper or priced out a project of late?

Let's see there is a supply/demand issue for product. People are putting time and money into their outdoor living space.

Workforce shortage forcing higher wages. Gas prices are substaintially higher....

Crushed shells for walks and driveways are a coveted item down here on the Cape. People paying top dollar all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 07:20 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Real estate is out of control all over the country, not just in Boston.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Is that really a compelling argument? You could do that in Florida, too. Heck, you can also do it in Michigan (they are still Eastern time.)
I see a house for sale at the South End of New Bedford one house from East Rodney French Boulevard that has an ocean sunset for $299K. That part of the South End near the tip is middle class single family homes. When the real estate market corrects as interest rates go up, there will be $250k houses in that part of New Bedford again.

It’s Zillow so it’s not real but they’ve been showing a consistent 3% month over month increase for my house for the last year+. There’s no inventory and the only things for sale in my census tract are $1 million+. No smaller houses have been on the market at all. I’d guess nobody is selling because they don’t know if they will be able to buy. There’s inventory in the more working class part of town at the New Bedford line but even that is selling at record levels.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Crushed shells for walks and driveways are a coveted item down here on the Cape. People paying top dollar all around.
I want to re-grade my driveway and put down crushed shell with some cobblestone at the boundaries. This year, that would be a DIY project. No way I could get my excavator who did my French drain and grading work this year.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:34 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Have you tried to hire a landscaper or priced out a project of late?

Let's see there is a supply/demand issue for product. People are putting time and money into their outdoor living space.

Workforce shortage forcing higher wages. Gas prices are substaintially higher....

I had some quotes for beams. Second one was much better but that was earlier in the year. Eventually I'll replace some others but it can wait. I've had gutters put on, beams, some pest control, bought a high end dehumdifier (contractor said it would take three weeks?? I got it direct in two days).

Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s Zillow so it’s not real but they’ve been showing a consistent 3% month over month increase for my house for the last year+. There’s no inventory and the only things for sale in my census tract are $1 million+. No smaller houses have been on the market at all. I’d guess nobody is selling because they don’t know if they will be able to buy. There’s inventory in the more working class part of town at the New Bedford line but even that is selling at record levels.
Could be the eviction ban. Can't sell if you have a tenant who isn't paying and can't be evicted.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:21 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/mill...c-survey-.html

I have a bad feeling about this.

"Nearly half of millennial millionaires have at least 25% of their wealth in cryptocurrencies, as the crypto boom continues to create wealth for young, early adopters, according to the CNBC Millionaire Survey.

Fully 47% of millennial millionaires surveyed have more than 25% of their wealth in cryptocurrencies, according to the survey of 750 investors with at least $1 million in investible assets. More than a third of millennial millionaires have at least half their wealth in crypto."

Bitcoin is BS. You can't really pay for anything with it, it isn't legal tender, you cannot put it in a bank and insure it. It makes it next to impossible to contract with any company. It recently dropped by about a third.

Let's do a tad of math on this. If this starts at 1 million and it's at least 25% that means 250K is on the line easily. If all it takes is one bad tweet to send it down from elon musk by 10% that's a 25K loss...in one day.

If this was gold or silver any portfolio manager that is a fiduciary would have their head spinning.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:39 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I bailed out of crypto a few months back before the downward trend for more traditional investments. A lot of my millennial peers did the same thing. Took the money and ran. Some of us were in Doge at 0.003 cents, so the initial risk really wasn't all that high. It was play money that got real.

The fact that it rises and falls on Elon's tweets made me lose my taste for all crypto. That's not an trustworthy investment.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:45 AM

Eventually we're going to see projects bump up against other projects.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2021/0...s-forward.html

Who can blame them? What's more important 30 jobs at a junkyard or having apartment projects cancelled? Who wants to pay decent money to have a view of a junkyard?

Old 06-10-2021, 08:51 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/mill...c-survey-.html

I have a bad feeling about this.

"Nearly half of millennial millionaires have at least 25% of their wealth in cryptocurrencies, as the crypto boom continues to create wealth for young, early adopters, according to the CNBC Millionaire Survey.

Fully 47% of millennial millionaires surveyed have more than 25% of their wealth in cryptocurrencies, according to the survey of 750 investors with at least $1 million in investible assets. More than a third of millennial millionaires have at least half their wealth in crypto."

Bitcoin is BS. You can't really pay for anything with it, it isn't legal tender, you cannot put it in a bank and insure it. It makes it next to impossible to contract with any company. It recently dropped by about a third.

Let's do a tad of math on this. If this starts at 1 million and it's at least 25% that means 250K is on the line easily. If all it takes is one bad tweet to send it down from elon musk by 10% that's a 25K loss...in one day.

If this was gold or silver any portfolio manager that is a fiduciary would have their head spinning.
It is a problem, but it's not one that can be reasoned with. A lot of people deep in crypto also harbor a deep resentment/hatred/distrust of the corporate system and/or government-backed assets much the same way gold and silver hoarders do. The more they hear that crypto isn't a real currency, the more they dig in deeper. The more they hear that they should own traditional stocks, the more they dig in to crypto. There's some smart ones to be sure who will jump ship before it's too late, but many will wipe out.

Best thing to do is just let the system do its thing and watch the chips fall as they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts