Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 11:27 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Why people are still catching COVID after the vaccine. https://www.thestreet.com/latest-new...-shot-says-doc

Stephen Lynch got affected 1 week after his second dose..still within the 12 day window but disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 11:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not saying that vaccines are the cause of death (obviously) but I don’t believe they will be effective enough against new variants, nor will they save everyone (5% failure), nor will enough people take them in sort order, nor was it given enough time to develop.

Additionally I believe it will become endemic with new vaccines generated every 2 years. Or so

They just found AstraZenecas vaccine is in effective against the South African Bariant. 45 minutes ago, NY Times

“There was virtually no difference in the numbers of people in the vaccine and placebo groups who were infected with B.1.351, suggesting that the vaccine did little to protect against the new variant. Nineteen of the 748 people in the group that was given the vaccine were infected with the new variant, compared with 20 of 714 people in the group that was given a placebo.“

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02...19-coronavirus

I think some of you are certainly too optimistic

That's not what was said about the two mRNA vaccines. With those, they said no deaths in the clinical trials and no hospitalizations. The 5% showed symptoms. They weren't sick enough to hospitalize.

I'm expecting to get my flu shot and COVID-19 shot every year and they'll likely be one shot. They'll tweak the vaccine every year as the virus mutates. That's no change at all from what I do today.

Oxford-AstraZeneca being halted in South Africa was yesterday's news. There is insufficient data for the two mRNA vaccines that are approved in the United States. Both have said that it's an easy tweak to have a vaccine available later this year. This is why you do 2 week quarantines with testing for anyone entering the country. We don't know when the next mutation might show up. It's certainly what Canada is doing. It's pathetically poor public health policy that the United States hasn't been doing it for the last year.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:00 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Why people are still catching COVID after the vaccine. https://www.thestreet.com/latest-new...-shot-says-doc

Stephen Lynch got affected 1 week after his second dose..still within the 12 day window but disheartening.
Um because most people still haven't been vaccinated.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's not what was said about the two mRNA vaccines. With those, they said no deaths in the clinical trials and no hospitalizations. The 5% showed symptoms. They weren't sick enough to hospitalize.

I'm expecting to get my flu shot and COVID-19 shot every year and they'll likely be one shot. They'll tweak the vaccine every year as the virus mutates. That's no change at all from what I do today.

Oxford-AstraZeneca being halted in South Africa was yesterday's news. There is insufficient data for the two mRNA vaccines that are approved in the United States. Both have said that it's an easy tweak to have a vaccine available later this year. This is why you do 2 week quarantines with testing for anyone entering the country. We don't know when the next mutation might show up. It's certainly what Canada is doing. It's pathetically poor public health policy that the United States hasn't been doing it for the last year.
A lotta tweak and a lot of variants will continue to rise..this is why I don't see the "rebounding".... this could be a slow gradual economic rise and realignment over the better part of this decade-in a worst-case scenario. There won't be a point where we sharply turn a corner and maintain dominance over the virus. I predict a long slow ugly fight. Especially with the economic and social fallout of the poorest Americans. Mitt Romney wants to give folks $3000-4200 a year per kid and it may become permanent.That's radical, but is now a normal conversation amongst Republicans... Life has changed as we know it. Student loan debt cancellation is legitimately on the table.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
A lotta tweak and a lot of variants will continue to rise..this is why I don't see the "rebounding".... this could be a slow gradual economic rise and realignment over the better part of this decade-in a worst-case scenario. There won't be a point where we sharply turn a corner and maintain dominance over the virus. I predict a long slow ugly fight. Especially with the economic and social fallout of the poorest Americans. Mitt Romney wants to give folks $3000-4200 a year per kid and it may become permanent.That's radical, but is now a normal conversation amongst Republicans... Life has changed as we know it. Student loan debt cancellation is legitimately on the table.

Mitt wants to encourage white middle class people to reproduce. The birthrate today is well below replacement rate. Poor people already don't pay any taxes.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:20 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I have to agree that I dont think all things will be back to normal by the fall. I'm not sure what the economy holds.

Do people think this student loan debt cancellation thing is really going to happen?

Old 02-08-2021, 12:20 PM

23,567 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Sorry to go further OT, but from this point on stimulus money should go exclusively to businesses and persons affected by the pandemic. Giving it to those like myself who have seen zero disruption in income (be it direct payments or student loan forgiveness), is not only useless for the economy but also reckless and irresponsible.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Do people think this student loan debt cancellation thing is really going to happen?

Way off topic for this thread but I think it would be grossly unfair. Inflation-adjusted, I had pretty big student loan debt when I graduated. I took a really hard major and studied hard. I got a good job and paid the loan back. Why should my tax money prop up someone who didn't make those life choices? You know the rules of the game before you take out the first loan. Bankruptcy doesn't forgive the loan. It's yours for life. College had better be a good investment or you're going to be saddled with that debt forever.

Mildly more on-topic:

I feel the same thing about short sales. I got F'ed in the S&L meltdown. I lost 40% when I sold. There was no such thing as a short sale. I either paid the loan or I went bankrupt. I accelerated payments for several years and had to borrow money to pay off the last of it at the closing. A mortgage used to be a big deal and a real commitment. Now, people just walk away.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Mitt wants to encourage white middle class people to reproduce. The birthrate today is well below replacement rate. Poor people already don't pay any taxes.
thought the same thing. It's another societal shift (that's been coming for a while) tat will likely be accelerated post-pandemic without intervention.

This happened sooner than experts expected because birth rates didn't rebound after the Great Recession like they thought it would. Also the price of housing shot up more than they thought it would, which has been a major deterrent for starting a family's purchasing a home imagine getting 6000 extra dollars, per year. You could save up a down payment for a home very quickly. That's what I would do with that money.

It weird that politicians cant talk about falling birthrates and stuff openly. I don't get that- I know they've seen the information...

Old 02-08-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have to agree that I dont think all things will be back to normal by the fall. I'm not sure what the economy holds.

I think it's likely they cancel 10,000 in debts within these 4 years. Maybe up to $20,000 especially if Sleepy Joe makes it to 8 years. The push is already being made for 50,000 from the far left- which is just code for "were gonna have to compromise"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts