Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I was speaking purely to the 'gritty' arts vibe.

If OP wants to prioritize schools, she'll have to give up the gritty art scene req. Those are more or less incompatible reqs in eastern MA unless leveraging private schooling ... especially with the 30 min to Lexington constraint.

There are plenty of art 'scenes' in MA and Cambridge is certainly a big one. There's also art 'scenes' throughout the state like Provincetown/Truro, Cape Ann (Essex/Gloucester/Beverly/Salem), Berkshires, Northhampton, etc., but they're older and catering to very specific clientele ... nothing like the MICA/Baltimore or Providence/RISD scene exists in MA (i.e., young, vibrant, semi-gritty) outside a handful of micro arts communities.

Cities like Worcester, New Bedford, Lowell, Salem, etc. have 'scenes', but they're often properly hipster ... which is to say, a handful of creative and determined people making cool s__t in cheap space ... artists. If you're tapped into the 'scene' you're aware they exist locally, but they otherwise exist on solely Instgram and the occasional SoWa or stART event.

IMO, OP should probably just stretch for Arlington. Good schools, very progressive, and neighboring Cambridge/Boston has and arts albeit de-gritted thanks to the high COL. When she tires of it, she can take the train to Providence or Salem/Bev.

Spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 06:40 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Acton, like where I live, is more run of the mill middle-upper class suburban. Strip malls, main roads, and 70s80s90s200s sub developments. The district has a great theatre program, and I'm sure the art programs in the district are excellent. But there is nothing uniquely artsy about Acton. Progressive in the sense of human rights, the fight against climate change? Definitely. But still rather buttoned up, white collar, between the bell curve.
Fair. I think Acton is like West Concord, but like you said in the post above West Concord itself isn't very counterculture the way Cambridge is.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Isn't that what Somerville and Cambridge are for? I can't think of anything that would top that...

Old 09-21-2020, 07:54 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Isn't that what Somerville and Cambridge are for? I can't think of anything that would top that...
Yeah I mean, less a few metros like San Francisco (Sebastopol/Sonoma County, for example), there are very few suburbs that balance the OPs criteria like good schools while giving off an artsy/edgy culture.

There are certainly standalone cities that do it, and to your point. That's why Cambridge and Somerville are.. Cambridge and Somerville.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 PM

843 posts, read 508,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Well, 5 years ago I would have said try for Newton, but I don't think you're getting 4 beds for 900 (I went to an open house for a turnkey 3 bed at 1.04mil yesterday and the seller's agent said they'd had 70 groups thru and multiple offers already)

Maybe you'd do Waltham? The schools aren't excellent but they're around average for MA, which is above average for the USA. Or you could do the parochial route. Moody Street would appeal to you.

Worcester, Salem, Providence, Lowell would not be 30 minutes commute and they have poorly regarded school systems. If you stretch your commute distance or your budget you can probably find something.
Schools are very good in Waltham, but there there is some variance at the elementary level and middle level. . I've worked in Newton schools and worked in Waltham and I would've send my daughter to Waltham schools in minute if I hadn't moved out of state. It's a "lower level" school because it has a huge ELL population from Guatemala and Haitian. Compared that to Newton's ELLs from educated Russian, Chinese, and Israeli families. School rating are overrated. It's both more urban and blue collar than the surrounding towns. It's also a college town - Bentley and Brandeis. It's a truly diverse community.

Here's house with 4 beds around $1m in the zone for the better middle school and the second best elementary school:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Waltham/16.../home/11811519

Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 AM

915 posts, read 563,187 times
I would say Waltham.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
OP said 'artsy', not 'WASPy'.

You and I usually agree. However, the OP had 6 criteria, several of which people have chosen to ignore here...

Under $900K, within 30 minutes of Lexington and:

(1) Excellent high school
(2) scrappy / artsy progressive vibe (e.g. Berkeley, Madison)
(3) neighborhood-y, where our kids (10 and 12) could connect with friends without having to drive
(4) access to nature

There is no community within Greater Boston that meets all these criteria. The towns I mentioned may miss the "scrappy / artsy" mark a bit but they squarely hit the other 5 criteria.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:45 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You and I usually agree. However, the OP had 6 criteria, several of which people have chosen to ignore here...

Under $900K, within 30 minutes of Lexington and:

(1) Excellent high school
(2) scrappy / artsy progressive vibe (e.g. Berkeley, Madison)
(3) neighborhood-y, where our kids (10 and 12) could connect with friends without having to drive
(4) access to nature

There is no community within Greater Boston that meets all these criteria. The towns I mentioned may miss the "scrappy / artsy" mark a bit but they squarely hit the other 5 criteria.
It hits slightly more than 50%, as she specifically stated "without having to drive". While I like the towns you listed, they're not particularly dense and very car dependent.

IMO, Arlington hits 5-5.5 of the criteria, price being the primary issue. Waltham hit 5 as well, though I'm not sure schools is the line item I'd compromise on. Beverly hits maybe 4-4.5 ... better schools than Waltham and likely to trend much better moving forward, but it's not 30 min to Lexington ... cool town though which is very walkable near the denser main st. area and somewhat 'hipster' ... "artsy' is a stretch, though Cape Ann has decent arts scene.

This is all to say ... I agree with your macro point. OP is going to have to find a compromise they're comfortable with, though they'd have to do with that with they're ideal, Berkeley, too.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 09-22-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,612 times
Salem is a tourist-addicted town, to detriment of residents. Poor school system. Terrible, truly awful traffic. "Artsy" is totally a marketing ploy descriptor, used only in the past couple of years. After nearly two decades, tired of the nonsense here. You can do better.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:37 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,940 times
Maybe Newburyport on North Shore? May be 45 min to Lexington w/traffic though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts