Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,785 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am starting a new job in Cambridge, Kendall Square area. We are a family of 3 with a 4 year child. Kindly suggest good suburbs to find a 2 bedroom apartment with good schools in the area. I am OK to commute up to 60 minutes each way. Our budget is $3000/month including utilities. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 01:19 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan2020 View Post
Hi all,

I am starting a new job in Cambridge, Kendall Square area. We are a family of 3 with a 4 year child. Kindly suggest good suburbs to find a 2 bedroom apartment with good schools in the area. I am OK to commute up to 60 minutes each way. Our budget is $3000/month including utilities. Thanks in advance!
This is virtually a ubiquitous request on this forum. I'd definitely urge you to search other threads where this is addressed. Having said that, you'll want to look along the MBTA Red Line for the most painless commute. Anything else will require a change of trains and/or a soul-crushing drive with the further burden of finding / paying for parking in Kendall.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
South Acton is what came to mind.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:37 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I understand wanting good schools as your nipper ages but I believe your primary interest at this point should be your job and your commute. Until a child is in the 3rd or 4th grade, most all schools are good. Thus I say the final decision as to where to live for good schools is 4 to 5 years away for you. Get situated/comfortable in the new job and learn about the area before committing.

You did not mentions your spouse's career/job. This could play a role.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
South Acton is what came to mind.
A 2 BR apartment should be findable without having to go out as far as Acton. There are probably some apartments in Cambridge or Brookline for that price, even if they're not luxury apartments.

You could also look in towns like Melrose, Arlington and Burlington.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Literally everywhere in Mass is a good suburb (Bar like 4), however, affordability and ease to Kendall Square is a little different.

I know a lot of people who have settled and work in Kendall. I think Arlington is a good choice, since its more affordable than Somerville or Cambridge, yet close. you can drive/walk to Alewife, and then take the train to Kendall/MIT.

Another option is Marlborough MA or Hudson, MA.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:29 PM

Arlington also came to mind, but I don't know about the schools and I wouldn't really call it a suburb. One good thing about Arlington is that it would be easy to get to the Red Line but would be an OK commute to the burb jobs in Burlington and Waltham if OP needs another job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Another option is Marlborough MA or Hudson, MA.
Commute to Kendall would be way over an hour. Not really feasible. Marlborough's schools are also likely bad.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:52 PM

880 posts, read 820,223 times
You'll be surprised that even though kendall is a MAJOR driver in jobs growth for Boston, the public transportation into it are shockingly difficult unless you live on the red line.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:30 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Literally everywhere in Mass is a good suburb (Bar like 4), however, affordability and ease to Kendall Square is a little different.
And compared to the rest of the country, those 4 are very average. Worcester is somewhere in the 49th to 51st percentile countrywide.

And "affordable" means something very different when OP says $3k/mo.....

Old 12-23-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
You'll be surprised that even though kendall is a MAJOR driver in jobs growth for Boston, the public transportation into it are shockingly difficult unless you live on the red line.
That's because back in the day people drove in although there are probably a lot who do the Fitchburg Line -> Porter -> Kendall route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts