Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 11:30 AM

18,393 posts, read 9,632,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
and to his credit timberline prefers Brooklyn.
Brooklyn is huge. I'm going to guess your buddy timberline sticks to the super trendy hipster parts of Williamsburg, and likely wouldn't go anywhere near Bed Stuy, Brownsville, East New York, Flatbush, etc.

So, he probably should just say he likes Williamsburg.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,217,572 times
Quote:
Yea but you could say that for everything in Boston except the high paying tech jobs.

My only point is the Bronx isn’t terrible. As I said earlier. I prefer Queens-and to his credit timberline prefers Brooklyn.
Anyone that thinks the Bronx is terrible is just really trying hard to be edgy and contrarian, or they're just anti urban culture in general.

The primary reason I prefer Brooklyn is the entertainment venues are more my style, but if people can't see how NY boroughs do a bunch of things better than Boston, well, they're either not so bright, being contrarian for the sake of it, or just never have experienced NY. Magical place.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:48 AM

11,084 posts, read 12,585,059 times
I havent soent much time in the bronx but man all those soviet style 40 story apartment buildings I drive by going into NYC is pretty dystopian.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I havent soent much time in the bronx but man all those soviet style 40 story apartment buildings I drive by going into NYC is pretty dystopian.
Those are housing projects. Most of them anyway.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:17 PM

21,859 posts, read 13,114,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Not true. Some of them are but most are co-ops, rent controlled, plain market rate or section 8. Housing projects aren’t the only high rise apartment buildings in the Bronx-I associate large housing projects more with Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn and Queensbridge in Queens. In NYC in general housing projects don’t stick out all that much physically (nor do they carry the heavy social stigma) so there easy to confuse with market rate housing

The general distaste for the large 40 story building may just be that aversion to urban culture timberline is talking about.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Brooklyn is huge. I'm going to guess your buddy timberline sticks to the super trendy hipster parts of Williamsburg, and likely wouldn't go anywhere near Bed Stuy, Brownsville, East New York, Flatbush, etc.

So, he probably should just say he likes Williamsburg.
We can make assumptions all day and go by stereotypes all day- I definitely that’s most of whats been going on here anyway.

And again of all the people in all of city data who say they like Boston how many of them are talking about Four Corners or Codman Square or Franklin Field or Lower Roxbury? None. So he can just say Brooklyn the same way they say Boston.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,217,572 times
Quote:
We can make assumptions all day and go by stereotypes all day- I definitely that’s most of whats been going on here anyway.

And again of all the people in all of city data who say they like Boston how many of them are talking about Four Corners or Codman Square or Franklin Field or Lower Roxbury? None. So he can just say Brooklyn the same way they say Boston.

As usual, the person is talking without knowledge. Gowanus is my favorite, actually, for hanging. But I'll go anywhere there are good shows. They're all over. Bushwick and Park Slope have some great warehouse/loft spaces. Flatbush gets some interesting stuff at Kings Theatre from time to time. I think the Owl is in Flatbush too, new place, had a date their just a bit ago. Williamsburg hit its prime 10+ years ago, though some of the bigger international touring bands still do the Music Hall or Brooklyn Bowl (hate the latter). Old news and outdated assumptions, as usual.

Again, I have no idea what this obsession about what I like or go is all about. It's a seriously bizarre fixation. Someone has it hard up to try to prove me "wrong" about every little thing and invariably, with rare exception, they just make fools of themselves. And then double down, almost always on things they have no first hand experience with, or they get all their "information" from the internet. Grow up or get help or something. Seriously, there are better things to do with one's life. Lots of fun out there to be had.

Last edited by timberline742; 12-14-2019 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Not true. Some of them are but most are co-ops, rent controlled, plain market rate or section 8. Housing projects aren’t the only high rise apartment buildings in the Bronx-I associate large housing projects more with Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn and Queensbridge in Queens. In NYC in general housing projects don’t stick out all that much physically (nor do they carry the heavy social stigma) so there easy to confuse with market rate housing

The general distaste for the large 40 story building may just be that aversion to urban culture timberline is talking about.
Uhh, yeah they are. Most (not all) are NYCHA.

The Bronx is loaded with housing projects.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Park Slope is trendy and hipster also. My point stands.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Uhh, yeah they are. Most (not all) are NYCHA.

The Bronx is loaded with housing projects.
Alright this is just dumb.

We don’t even know what apartments he’s talking about....

My best guess is co-op city because there’s a clear and look at them coming south on the New England Thruway in the Bronx. Those are not NYCHA.

He could be taking about the many shorter NYCHA buildings on the Cross Bronx Expressway but we just don’t know. Just because the Bronx has lots of NYCHA it’s just asinine to assume most or even a plurality of them are NYCHA.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/do...2019_08-01.pdf

According to this the Bronx has 75 NYCHA developments with a total of 94k residents -let’s expand that to 130k (when off lease is included) thats about 9% of the borough. As stated earlier the most NYCHA developments of any borough are in Manhattan with 101. But yea, “most the high rise buildings in the Bronx are NYCHA” even though the largest most visible complex closest to New England isn’t NYCHA-its a co-op. You got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts