Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 10:21 AM

118 posts, read 210,946 times

Advertisements

I was actually able to get a run down of "therms" from my last apartment. EVERYTHING was gas, even the dryer...and we were a family of 6.The most used in a month was March, at 150 therms. Zero insulation in the apartment and super drafty.

So if it says I'm using 56 therms in 4 days, that's what ? 3 or 4 times the amount of gas used ? Makes no sense at all and it's so outrageous that there has to be some type of meter or billing issue, IMO.

The windows in this place are really not that old or drafty! And it's not drafty at all. The furnace does kick on and off alot, especially at night but still..56 therms in 4 days is like paying for the entire building!!

Thanks for all the replies! I truly appreciate it. I'll let you know how I make out on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
Does anyone know if all the gas companies charge for "delivery" by the therm? Because if you look at the bill, the delivery costs more than the actual gas used. So the more gas used, the higher the delivery charge. Doesn't make sense to me as they have to delivery the gas regardless.

That's not really a "fixed" rate right ? Or am I misunderstanding?

I haven't looked at a gas bill in years, as my last apartment we had paperless billing and my ex wife paid everything. But just seems odd to charge delivery by the therm.

Southern New England is held hostage by the pipeline companies. There is a pipeline capacity problem provoked by electric power generation shifting from coal and nukes to natural gas. Any time a pipeline company tries to expand capacity, they get sued by the NIMBY people falsely waving the carbon footprint flag. It's not like we're ever going to add nukes and solar/wind are only a partial solution. The NIMBY people also sue to slow down running power lines down from Quebec Hydro since they're "dangerous" so there's no choice but to use natural gas to generate electricity. We all pay. The energy costs in most of New England are outrageous and far more than most of the rest of the country pays. With all the fracking just to the west of New England, natural gas should be dirt cheap.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Southern New England is held hostage by the pipeline companies. There is a pipeline capacity problem provoked by electric power generation shifting from coal and nukes to natural gas. Any time a pipeline company tries to expand capacity, they get sued by the NIMBY people falsely waving the carbon footprint flag. It's not like we're ever going to add nukes and solar/wind are only a partial solution. The NIMBY people also sue to slow down running power lines down from Quebec Hydro since they're "dangerous" so there's no choice but to use natural gas to generate electricity. We all pay. The energy costs in most of New England are outrageous and far more than most of the rest of the country pays. With all the fracking just to the west of New England, natural gas should be dirt cheap.

This isn't a price issue. Its a amount of use, or meter, issue. But hey, rant on about awesome fossil fuels.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This isn't a price issue. Its a amount of use, or meter, issue. But hey, rant on about awesome fossil fuels.

Let's see how long your heat and lights stay on without fossil fuels or am I mistaken and you have a panel on the roof of your apartment? The United States will never build another nuke. Northern New England sues any time someone wants to run high tension lines from Quebec to Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The question was "what is a delivery charge"? It's how the energy cartel holds us all hostage and doubles our natural gas and electric bills.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Geoff - I will respectfully disagree. The issue isn't a pipeline capacity, it's storage capacity. IIRC, all the pipelines proposed are in order to export the gas overseas, not supply the Northeast. If we had capacity to store gas that was purchased in the warmer months, we could lower winter costs - maybe.

Here's a graphic from wiki showing where and how natural gas is stored:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natura...sStorage_5.gif

We don't have natural caverns or empty aquifers to store much and we would still have a NIMBY reaction if we tried to build hundreds/thousands of these all over New England:

Old 12-09-2019, 11:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Let's see how long your heat and lights stay on without fossil fuels or am I mistaken and you have a panel on the roof of your apartment? The United States will never build another nuke. Northern New England sues any time someone wants to run high tension lines from Quebec to Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The question was "what is a delivery charge"? It's how the energy cartel holds us all hostage and doubles our natural gas and electric bills.

Nope. That really wasn't the question. It was about using 50+ therms in 4 days. Good try though.

And yes, we have solar on our building. Its great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts