Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:59 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,308 times

Advertisements

I loved Bertucci's at one point. Then the menu changed and the quality wasn't the same, at least at our local one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,530,516 times
Maybe millennials killed it. I’m barely one but still hate strip mall chain restaurants as a general rule, as a sign of disconcerting societal mediocrity. However I enjoyed Bertucci’s and it got a pass because of its local HQ and appealing to us 80s kids. Was always a treat as a kid when the parents would bring us to the one by Alewife on way out of the city back to our cave in Central Mass where there was only thick crust pizza, gleaming puddles of grease staining the box and your soul.

Past few years I have occasionally been to the one in Amherst and not as impressive as I remembered it yet still very good for a chain.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
I hate seeing a local company go under, and I have a lot of memories of Bertucci’s. My high school girlfriend worked there and I spent a lot of time there. They did alright with the brick oven pizza even if it was a bit overpriced. But is been years since I’ve been there, and there have been much better options at that price point for a long time. So I won’t miss the restaurant itself and don’t feel like it’s any great loss. Its day has passed. I wouldn’t be surprised if Uno was next, though that’s a chain I don’t hate.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
The tell tale sign I picked up a few years ago was when Bertucci's started offering huge coupon discounts such as $10 off take out order of $30 or more or 20% entire check in the Sunday papers. They didn't used to do that and to me it was a sign that they needed to pick up business. Pizzeria Uno, which closed numerous locations in the area, also started doing the same and they'll probably be the next to go. Too bad.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here in Burlington, one of the first Chili's opened over 20 years ago.
Sorry, but the Chili's that opened "over 20 years ago" in Burlington was by no stretch of the imagination "one of the first". I know, I used to live about 2 miles away from the ACTUAL first Chili's which opened in the space of a fish and chips place, and then a few years later had to be moved and reconstructed when the street was widened. Off the top of my head I would say that was about 1973 or so. When I went to college in Houston in 1980 Chili's was already a large chain. So 1995 (or thereabouts) was definitely not "one of the first".

[Edit]

Took a couple minutes and I found that the first Chili's was actually opened in '75, and the building was rebuilt as a duplicate on the back side of the parking lot, in 1981. (From their website.) The website mentions that in 1983 there were 23 locations.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
I only wish I could have tried the original Davis Square location...

Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sorry, but the Chili's that opened "over 20 years ago" in Burlington was by no stretch of the imagination "one of the first". I know, I used to live about 2 miles away from the ACTUAL first Chili's which opened in the space of a fish and chips place, and then a few years later had to be moved and reconstructed when the street was widened. Off the top of my head I would say that was about 1973 or so. When I went to college in Houston in 1980 Chili's was already a large chain. So 1995 (or thereabouts) was definitely not "one of the first".
Meant to say one of the first in the Boston area.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I hate seeing a local company go under, and I have a lot of memories of Bertucci’s. My high school girlfriend worked there and I spent a lot of time there. They did alright with the brick oven pizza even if it was a bit overpriced. But is been years since I’ve been there, and there have been much better options at that price point for a long time. So I won’t miss the restaurant itself and don’t feel like it’s any great loss. Its day has passed. I wouldn’t be surprised if Uno was next, though that’s a chain I don’t hate.
It isn't going under yet though. They are filing for chapter 11, which is reorganization. Many companies come out of chapter 11 and do fine.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
It isn't going under yet though. They are filing for chapter 11, which is reorganization. Many companies come out of chapter 11 and do fine.

Very true and they are looking for a buyer so this could turn out to just be a change in control. Nonetheless they have closed many locations, they have had to offer deep discounts to attract customers, the competition in their market segment is increasing and Americans are becoming more calorie/carb conscious. The death of Bertucci's is still far from certain but any new owner faces serious challenges ahead.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:40 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
I only wish I could have tried the original Davis Square location...
I ate there decades ago when it first opened. Pizza upstairs and bocce downstairs. IIRC, it was a BYOB place.

The founder, Joey Crugnale, started with Joey's Ice Cream in Teele Sq., bought out Steve's Ice Cream, and started Bertucci's in 1981 as a defensive move - he wanted to keep an ice cream competitor from moving into a vacant store front a few doors down. It went public in 1991. He's started/owned a number of other restaurants - Naked Fish, Jumbalaya, Peck's, Bailey's of Boston. I think he's mostly into real estate today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts