Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 PM

16 posts, read 66,088 times

Advertisements

What are people's impression of Arlington and West Medford? They seem like decent places, but there are some areas that appear to be somewhat sketchy. Are there some neighborhoods that are clearly "avoids?" Also, how is the environment for kids? I know there are some very good elem schools there, but are there decent parks/playgrounds too? How about shopping? How close is the nearest Target? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
Arlington schools are much better than Medford's schools. Arlington, as a whole, is a safer place than Medford, as well. I lived in Medford for 7 years, and have lived in Arlington for the past 6 years. I like Medford, but if I had kids, I would definitely prefer Arlington.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:28 PM

287 posts, read 1,027,801 times
I suppose there are avoidable neighborhoods in Medford, but not really in West Medford. And Arlington is pretty much fine everywhere, unless you enjoy latenight strolls on certain areas of the bikepath by yourself. So as long as you avoid doing really stupid things you'll be fine. East Arlington is generally more run down and slightly more urban than the heights.

The town sites for Medford and Arlington have a list of parks and playgrounds. The biggest one in West Medford is Playstead Park. You also have easy access to the Fells. Right over the rt 60 bridge into Arlington is Parallel Park, which I only bring up because it isn't mentioned on the Arlington website, but has a playground and basketball court.

Medford is better for shopping in general. Arlington has some rather bizarre holes in its shopping experience, like say clothes. Between Medford Square, Wellington, and the Meadowglen Mall you can get pretty much anything you want in Medford without leaving its borders. Neither place has a Target, and I'm not sure about Medford, but I'm pretty sure the Arlington town meeting would die before they let a Target in. The possible expansion of the Stop & Shop was fought over for about a decade. Besides there just isn't any place to put such a thing. Anyway, the closest Target is in (I believe) the Arsenal Mall in Watertown.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
I agree there are no sketchy areas in Arlington. East Arlington is more urban or dense, but I don't know that I'd go as far as rundown. An advantage of East Arlington is that, at least in the area bounded by the Cambridge line, Mass Av, Lake St and Route 2, you can walk to Alewife T and avoid having to take a bus to the T to get to Boston. Within West Medford in particular there are no rough areas either.

There is more shopping in Medford than in Arlington, but the Target in Watertown and all the other stores along Arsenal St are 15 minutes from Arlington and the mall in Medford not much farther. There is also shopping on Fresh Pond Pkwy and Route 2 or Route 3 is a quick drive, about 20 minutes outside of rush hours, to the Burlington Mall.

I grew up in Arlington and my grandparents lived in West Medford. Both are very nice places to be, but the Arlington schools are considered better and, largely for that reason, Arlington homes retain value better. West Medford, if you are not worried about schools, does offer some great value. There are beautiful big colonials for considerably less than they would be in Winchester or Arlington 5 minutes away.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 85,493 times
If you have kids I would definitely choose Arlington over W. Medford (off Boston Ave). I have a condo in West Medford, and a couple of times there have been homeless people sleeping in the vestibule during the winter.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 82,447 times
Default There is no such thing as West Medford

It is just a generally accepted area towards the Arlington Border/and parts of Tufts. There is no fixed boundary either and it is not a separate town, so ideally, you should be comparing Arlington with Medford. I hate when people divide the towns like this (West Newton, e.g.) and confuse the heck out of folks who are coming in from outside.

If you have kids, stay with Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts