Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM

63 posts, read 188,219 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there have knowledge about west medford. We are a family of 3 (myself, wife, 3 1/2 yr old son + dog) who are moving from Minneapolis to the Boston area. I just spent several hours on saturday walking around the neighborhood and got a really good vibe. In particular, the african american history and seemingly current possible racial dynamic (seems to be fairly divers) are positives. We are a caucasian couple w/ a son adopted from Ethiopia. I also liked the proximity to the Fells - I am a mtn biker and love to take the dog/son out for long hikes through the woods. I really want to live in an area w/ good enough schools to go the public school route and to also have some racial diversity in the schools. We are hoping to buy a smallish single family home for about $500k. What do people think about west medford? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
I think it would be great for you and your family, plus, your budget, as far as I know, should get you a lot of options. Best wishes on your move.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,455,775 times
I posted a blurb about West Medford at https://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...l#post19352908, but you will want to scroll down to read goyguy's much more exhaustive description of the neighborhood

Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM

40 posts, read 139,727 times
Many people love W. Medford for its location. I know three different families that live in the area. They all bought there well before kids or with very young kids long before school years. Fast forward, 10-6 years later, all of them are disappointed in schools and feel they should have done better job of buying for longer term. Two families are on the move currently, and in process of selling.
Obviously, different folks, different strokes. I do not mean to say that you will be doing terrible mistake. But, always better to know that there might be some issues. Medford in general does not have well regarded schools. With your budget, you should be looking to Winchester or Arlington. Your future home will retain its value better, and you will still be getting great locations that are super attractive to families, great schools, and easy commute. My five cents. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Good perspective, but the OP will be hard pressed to find anything in Winchester for $500k. I imagine expectations might also be a hindrance coming from Minneapolis.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM

63 posts, read 188,219 times
Thanks for the replies. I have no interest in living in a town like Winchester. I really value having some diversity - both racial and socioeconomic. I am not new to the Boston scene - I lived in Jamaica Plain for 5 yrs up until '03. That is not an option now because Boston public schools are not an option. Arlington is a possibility, but it seems a bit too yuppy for me... I am looking for something more interesting... I am pretty sober about what $500k gets you around Boston. Unfortunately, not much... We would love to find an old, 3br/1.5 ba home w/ good bones that we could renovate over time. Something w/ some old features and a back yard - keeping it pretty simple...

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM

It might be too far depending on your commute, but I know people in a similar position (decent schools, diversity, less yuppy, interesting, good housing stock, nearby trails, etc.) have chosen Maynard. It's the most affordable town in that neck of the woods and I know they're trying really hard to improve the schools (which can't be said for Medford).

Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Here's an example of a Maynard house (3br, 1.5 bath, original woodwork, updated kitchen, 1/3 acre) you couldn't touch for under $500k in the surrounding neighborhoods. 6 King, Maynard, MA 01754 | MLS# 71325790

Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM

387 posts, read 917,395 times
West Medford is one of my favorite spots in the area. The housing stock and neighborhoods are substantial, with pre-war character and leafy streets. You have access to the Fells, public transportation, 93, Rte. 16, plus easy trips to Arlington, Davis Square, and the Burlington Mall for more restaurants and shopping. I live in Medford Hillside and regularly use West Medford amenities like the post office, Rite-Aid, etc., because they're so convenient.

The one sticking point is the schools. Although it's possible to get an OK elementary school, the middle and high schools concern me. Parts of east Medford have a meth problem, and a seedy element slips into the middle and high schools, including some gang activity.

There is a great charter school, Mystic Valley Regional Charter, that you might want to look into. Admission is on the lotto system, so there's no guarantee of getting in. (437 applications this year for 120 spots.)

Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,419,564 times
$500K should get you just about any house in West Medford with money left over for renovations. You could easily afford a more fancy neighborhood, closer to the Fells for instance, and the houses in West Medford are pretty close together, so you can't expect a very big yard. But if you've found the place you like, there's no need to do any more searching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts