Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 PM

32 posts, read 168,497 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how far Hyde Park, MA is from Hanscom AFB---in both miles and commute time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
It's roughly 15-20 miles "as the crow flies." You'd need to allow at least 45 minutes for commuting if you have daytime work hours. Once you're on 128 the trip is usually pretty quick. That highway is perpetually congested but rarely backed up. It'll take you from Milton or Dedham right to the Lexington/Bedford border, with Hanscom a hop skip n' jump west of the Marrett Rd exit.

Don't mind my asking - after your earlier inquiries about towns near the base, how is it that you're apparently going to live in Hyde Park? Most of that area is still OK safety-wise, but the quality of housing mostly isn't all that great and you can forget about the public schools. Just curious.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I think Hyde Park would be a lousy commute, time-wise, during normal business hours. Housing isn't particularly affordable, and schools aren't so well considered, either. It's not even that good for public transport into Boston! Seems the worst of both worlds to live in Hyde Park and work at Hanscom.
Disclaimer, I have always lived in Cambridge and then out Rt. 2, ever West, never in towards Roslindale/Hyde Park, etc.
Oh, and be aware that car insurance is calculated partly by neighborhood, and anything in towards Boston is astronomical.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 PM

32 posts, read 168,497 times
Thanks Goyguy and Brightdog lover....

My family and I are rethinking the "buying" a house option that I was initially intent on doing. The economy seems to be lagging and home prices are falling so we're thinking a rental for a year may be a better move.

So, that's how Hyde Park came up, I saw what seemed to be nice rental in that city and wanted to find out more about the commute. Thanks again for you replies, they certainly helped and Hyde Park doesn't seem like a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts