Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 12,070 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm graduating from college in May and I've just taken a job located in Sudbury MA. I'm trying to find an apartment that's not too much of a commute, Sudbury seems to be mostly family housing. I'm currently in Iowa so apartment shopping is a little difficult, but the places I've been finding online are mostly in Marlborough . Can anyone recommend any other towns that would have rental housing that might be good for a young single new grad?

Thanks,

Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emster View Post
Hi,

I'm graduating from college in May and I've just taken a job located in Sudbury MA. I'm trying to find an apartment that's not too much of a commute, Sudbury seems to be mostly family housing. I'm currently in Iowa so apartment shopping is a little difficult, but the places I've been finding online are mostly in Marlborough . Can anyone recommend any other towns that would have rental housing that might be good for a young single new grad?

Thanks,

Emily

There is only ONE employer in town of Sudbury. "R"

Yes. 99% are houses in Sudbury. Most of what you see on the Web are big apartment complex in Marlborough. However, there are many smaller apartment building/houses for rent in towns below. You may want to find a roommate also as rent around here starts over $1K.

If you are looking for apartments
Hudson, Marlborough on the West.
Framingham, Natick in the South
Waltham on the East.
Maynard to the North.

They are usually 10-25 minutes away depending on traffic (all within 10 miles).

If you are willing to travel further, there are many more towns.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,036 times
Default Sudbury

Are you working for Raytheon? Don't say yes or you won't be haha

DON'T live in:
Sudbury (too rich of a town)
Marlborough (too seedy and cheap)

Try:
Waltham (look for a roomate on craigslist)
Outside of boston (somerville, cambridge, watertown, allston/brighton, arlington) all should be about a 40 minute commute away but more $$$

If not those, try worcester (much cheaper than boston, but completely different scene). Stay away from marlborough/sudbury/hudson/acton if you are young and fun.

It'll be a lot more $$$ than Iowa, so you might need a roomate.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ah_fense View Post
Are you working for Raytheon? Don't say yes or you won't be haha

DON'T live in:
Sudbury (too rich of a town)
Marlborough (too seedy and cheap)

Try:
Waltham (look for a roomate on craigslist)
Outside of boston (somerville, cambridge, watertown, allston/brighton, arlington) all should be about a 40 minute commute away but more $$$

If not those, try worcester (much cheaper than boston, but completely different scene). Stay away from marlborough/sudbury/hudson/acton if you are young and fun.

It'll be a lot more $$$ than Iowa, so you might need a roomate.
R is hiring like crazy. They got enough government contracts to last another 10 years.

Marlborough is seedy and cheap (and Waltham is not)? What gave you that impression?

You mentioned apartments are expensive, yet you send her towards Boston, Somerville, Watertown, ... etc where apartment situation is worst due to the number of colleges in those towns. I guess she could live like a student, 3 kids to a 2 bedroom apartment and still pays $800/month each. It is true that there is NOT a big night life outside of Boston. Are there a lot night life in IOWA?

Oops. I forget to congratulate her. She is going to make the BIG buck. She will soon find out she has to share her paycheck with the government and the landlord. Welcome to the real world.

Last edited by smarty; 11-29-2006 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 12,070 times
Thanks for the replies. I'll give you that Iowa's not exactly known for it's nightlife, but I'm not that big a party animal anyway. I grew up in southwestern CT so I'm a little prepared for the sticker shock that comes with moving back East.

Thanks again!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
There is only ONE employer in town of Sudbury. "R"

Yes. 99% are houses in Sudbury. Most of what you see on the Web are big apartment complex in Marlborough. However, there are many smaller apartment building/houses for rent in towns below. You may want to find a roommate also as rent around here starts over $1K.

If you are looking for apartments
Hudson, Marlborough on the West.
Framingham, Natick in the South
Waltham on the East.
Maynard to the North.

They are usually 10-25 minutes away depending on traffic (all within 10 miles).

If you are willing to travel further, there are many more towns.
There are apartments in Lexington and Arlington that have great schools,neighborhoods and good commute to Sudbury and the city. You could look at the Avalon properties for rent and Katahdin Woods in Lexington has a great play area for kids,great schools and wonderful town..I speak from experience. Sudbury is gorgeous,expensive and a bit isolated but close to the two other towns I mentioned. You can rent homes in those areas for about $2200 and apts for $1600 up. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
There are apartments in Lexington and Arlington that have great schools,neighborhoods and good commute to Sudbury and the city. You could look at the Avalon properties for rent and Katahdin Woods in Lexington has a great play area for kids,great schools and wonderful town..I speak from experience. Sudbury is gorgeous,expensive and a bit isolated but close to the two other towns I mentioned. You can rent homes in those areas for about $2200 and apts for $1600 up. Good luck!
Yes. Arlington or Lexington is an option. I did not suggest them because they are a little higher in price. She just got out of school and has no need for good elementary school. She would be paying for something she does not need. However, they do have very nice bike paths. My thinking is that she will only use those facilities during weekend. From those towns, she will travel via Rt2 to the North side of Sudbury and then have to go through a bunch of local roads to the South side where R is.

In any case, she has many choices since MA is small. A 10 mile radius from Sudbury goes to Marlborough (Rt495), Waltham(Rt95). A 25-30 mile radius will go to Worcester and Boston. Without knowing the lifestyle she prefers, it is very hard to make suggestion. Hence, I use proximity.

BTW. What do young single college grad do after work nowadays? It's been so long Most company usually keep them working until 7-8pm. You know the standard 12 hour days 6 days a week. I think many go to grad school after work. Don't they?

Last edited by smarty; 11-30-2006 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Here's an interesting site where residents rate the apartments.

[url]www.apartmentratings.com/rate/MA.html [url]

Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
My wife works at that Raytheon too (we moved up here from Atlanta about year ago). We're in our early 20's and we made the mistake of renting in Hudson. We're not the partying type, but living out here can make any young single person go out of their mind. Almost all the 20 somethings at Raytheon live in Waltham-Watertown-Newton area. It's a 30-40 minute commute from there. That would be a good area to rent if you're looking to meet new people and be close to Boston. If you're the introverted type who just wants a short commute and still be close to restaurants and shops, I would recommend Framingham. It's only about 10-15 min commute.

In terms of finding an actual apartment, there's something you should know. Boston doesn't have many large apartment complexes like elsewhere in the nation (they're also overpriced compared to private rentals). Most of the rentals here are 2/3 family homes and 4-6 unit apartments that are privately owned and managed. You need to go through a broker to rent one of these places if you don't live locally (otherwise you could go through craigslist and meet each owner individually). Contact a broker (such as Centre Realty Group in Newton) ahead of time so they can work with you based on your schedule. Also, be sure to ask to only see no-fee apartments so you don't have to pay the usual brokers fee which equals 1 month of rent. I'd recommend flying out here for a few days before you actually move here for your job so you can secure a place and sign the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts