Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,491 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Massachusetts. We have one child who is not in school yet, but will be in public school so the town schools are important to us. We are looking in the 600k-700k price range, would go up to 750k if needed. Honed in on medfield and Westwood. What are the big differences in the towns? Westwood is better for commuting it seems. Medfield has more of a town center which we like. We are looking for a town with a small town, friends with your neighbors feel. What are the big differences in these communities? We can afford a nicer house in medfield, but commute from Westwood is 10-15 minutes shorter. Also, how much is daycare in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Westwood is costly as day care not sure about Medfield check out both and then decide.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Daycare on average will run you $1,500-$2,000/month per child for full day 5 days a week. You might be able to find a slightly cheaper daycare if you look really hard and you can certainly find a more expensive one without looking too hard.

Where are you commuting too?

Old 10-01-2016, 10:10 AM

22 posts, read 25,560 times
I am not sure about the schools in Medfield, but I currently teach at Westwood High School and the school system is fantastic. They also have a pre-school attached to the High School for Westwood Residents, which I have heard good things about. Hope this helps!

Westwood has a small downtown area on route 109, but they also have another small downtown area in "Islington" and they have recently made another commercial development, which has been a good source of revenue for the town, which is why they are renovating/expanding the police and fire departments.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:55 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Medfield has excellent schools, the disadvantage it has over Westwood is being slightly less convenient from a commuter standpoint. Both towns are very nice. Westwood has a little more commerce, Medfield more open space. Not sure about day care in either, but they are right next door and whatever is available in one is available in the other.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:40 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I don't think there would be much difference in terms of daycare costs. The schools in Medfield are top-notch - they get very top rankings in the state, which is the main reason some very good friends of ours' live there.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think Medfield had much of a town center. It sounded to me like the big hangout place for our friends' teenager was the Natick Mall.

Neither of my friends commute downtown, so the location is good for them in terms of their jobs. But when their kids go to college, they plan to move to Boston. It strikes me as a perfectly pleasant, typical suburban town. (Although my friends wish more of the people were more to the left.)

I can't speak to Westwood.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:50 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I could be wrong, but I didn't think Medfield had much of a town center. It sounded to me like the big hangout place for our friends' teenager was the Natick Mall.
It has more of a center than Westwood.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:26 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Medfield has a bigger town center than Westwood. Westwood does have a new shopping center next to the Amtrak station that includes Wegman's, a few restaurants and a number of stores.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Westwood has more retail than Medfield, thanks to University Ave. As mentioned, there's a Wegman's there, plus several other retail stores; a Target, a TJ Max, GNC, Nordstrom Rack, PetSmart, Michael's, Famous Footwear, Dressbarn, Men's Wearhouse, Gamestop, Panera Bread, Chipotle, Smash Burger, Which Wich, Starbucks, Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, Not Your Average Joe's, Orange Leaf, Bonefish Grill and a Del Frisco's Grille is also coming next year. There's also a Roche Brothers in Westwood too.

Westwood is also more accessible to Boston as there's multiple commuter rail stops on two different rail lines. Plus 95 runs right through the town.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 PM

341 posts, read 302,559 times
Westwood is a bit easier to get to things. It is close to Route 1 in Norwood and Dedham which has all kinds of shopping and dining options. Legacy Place in Dedham is quite a nice shopping area and is right along the border with Westwood.

I agree with everyone that Medfield has a bigger and better downtown area than Westwood.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Medfield is currently fighting a 40B Affordable housing project in the Medfield Hospital area that could add 200 units. That might make the traffic downtown worst than it is, and it can be pretty bad. Do yourself a favor and drive through the 27/109 intersection during rush hour on a weekday and see if you'll be able to tolerate that. Those are the two main ways to get out of Medfield and they intersect, with an occasional train that goes through to shut down 109 right before the intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts