Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 PM

10 posts, read 86,596 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've recently applied for a position at a community college in Gardner, MA. Does anyone know anything about this area? From what I could find out its about an 1 1/2 outside of boston and 45 min from Worcester. Whats the city like? Is it diverse? Is it possible to commute from Worcester to Gardner? I'm from CA so I know next to nothing about MA! Thanks for you help! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 12:38 PM

176 posts, read 1,146,537 times
Never speed in Gardener. That's all I know.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:42 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
I do not know much except it is called.
"Chair City," "Furniture Capital of New England"

They have big furniture outlets.

I had a friend who lived there years ago. I think she said it is an average town. Here's the school profile.
[link]http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/home.asp?mode=so&view=all&mcasyear=&ot=5&o=663&so= 669-6 [url]

It may be cheaper and safer to live in Gardner than Worcester.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM

10 posts, read 86,596 times
Is Worcester not safe? I was just thinking that I'd rather live in a big city and commute to Gardner. Is that a good idea? I don't really know that much about the area. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risa1230 View Post
Is Worcester not safe? I was just thinking that I'd rather live in a big city and commute to Gardner. Is that a good idea? I don't really know that much about the area. Thanks!
A Big city usually have good and bad parts of town. Due to density, it usually has more crime also. Car insurance for this reason is more expensive in the city. More expensive housing due to supply and demand.

On the other hand, stores in city usually open later than small towns. There are more fun things to do like clubs, restaurants, sports games, museum, ... etc.

I do not know what lifestyle you prefer. It is up to you if it is a good idea.

I also suggest you google the city Worcester and Gardner. This way you have some more idea of what they offer.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,566 times
I'm not sure that Worcester qualifies as a "big" city. It is certainly a city though. I've been there quite a few times on work related issues, and what I saw wasn't all that bad.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risa1230 View Post
Hi, I've recently applied for a position at a community college in Gardner, MA. Does anyone know anything about this area? From what I could find out its about an 1 1/2 outside of boston and 45 min from Worcester. Whats the city like? Is it diverse? Is it possible to commute from Worcester to Gardner? I'm from CA so I know next to nothing about MA! Thanks for you help! =)
I got my Australian terrier puppy from Gardner. It seemed like a nice town. The breeder had a nice home with alot of land. It was around 1 and 1/2 hours from Cape Cod.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhoodnik View Post
I'm not sure that Worcester qualifies as a "big" city. It is certainly a city though. I've been there quite a few times on work related issues, and what I saw wasn't all that bad.
The Boston Globe yester had a forumn with regards to Allston being a bad place, buy someone who wrote a book. The topic was which other towns qualify to be on the list. Brockton, Worcester, Lawrence, Roxbury Savin Hill etc.

I think if you do a search on google with allston, or go on the boston globe web site you can read the opinions of people.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
The Boston Globe yester had a forumn with regards to Allston being a bad place, buy someone who wrote a book. The topic was which other towns qualify to be on the list. Brockton, Worcester, Lawrence, Roxbury Savin Hill etc.

I think if you do a search on google with allston, or go on the boston globe web site you can read the opinions of people.

If you are a college student, you'll love ALLSTON. There are plenty of beer, clubs and cheap restaurants. It probably is not the best for families bring up young kids.

Worcester is similar. The area near WPI and Clark U. is actually very nice compare to some other parts of town. They have cleaned up quite a bit in recent years. Unfortunately, there is not enough $$$ to support the growth. U. Mass. Medical center is another area that has improve dramatically.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhoodnik View Post
Worcester is the second largest city in New England, after Boston. The crime rate is pretty bad but not as bad as Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts