Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 14,099 times

Advertisements

Im planning on selling my house in Beverly, MA some time this summer. I was planning to move to North Carolina, but that may be a drastic regretful move.
I am hoping to spend about $175-200k on a house. I can not afford anything in my area unless it is a condo, and honestly i do not want a condo. I can also afford Lynn,Lowell and Lawrence, but i would rather not.

How are Gardner, Leominster and Fitchburg? Are they rougher areas like lawrence and lynn? Should I avoid them? I currently work in North Andover and would commute for the first couple months until I found work in the area. Its only an hour drive.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,820,322 times
What's wrong w/your current house?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 14,099 times
Default major fixer upper

My house is a major fixer upper and I can not afford to up keep it. I inherited the house, I did not buy it.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times
Quote:
How are Gardner, Leominster and Fitchburg? Are they rougher areas like lawrence and lynn?
My friend went to college in Fitchburg. She didn't feel very safe and came home very weekend. I don't know what the rest of Fitchburg is like though.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,820,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenInMA View Post
My house is a major fixer upper and I can not afford to up keep it. I inherited the house, I did not buy it.
In that case, you'll probably have plenty of equity in it for a down payment once you sell. Back to your question -- Fitchburg and Leominster are small cities compared to Lawrence and Lowell and are much safer, but they definitely have more petty crime than Beverly. That area is also pretty economically depressed, so it would be harder to find a job in that area. Gardner on the other hand is a nice little suburb of Fitchburg, and can't really be compared to any of the 4 cities previously mentioned. Although I have never been there, I hear it's a very livable place.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
A friend of mine grew up in Gardner and is a postman in Fitchburg. His route is in the roughest neighborhood. There are also very pleasant neighborhoods, more suburban
All three towns have good access to Route 2 to get to 93 or however you'd go to North Andover.
I lived in Leominster and it was fine, and had good Greek and Vietnamese ethnic food. It is getting increasingly developed with suburban housing.
If you're concerned about schools for kids, I can't help you, but I suspect none of these towns are recommended.
There is no comparison to Lawrence and Lynn. They are dense cities with many many immigrants and a fair amount of crime. Have you considered Lowell? It certainly has its rougher edges, but there is a lot downtown redevelopment, many beautiful condos and condo-lofts, and good ethnic food, and a fair amount of good arts/culture. Certainly it's most convienient to North Andover, just a hop up 495, unlike the other towns that are miles away. You could certainly get a modest single-family house in Lowell in your price range.
Good luck. The real estate battles in Massachusetts are indeed wearing.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
Fitchburg does have some rough areas, but also some nice areas. Gardner is similar to Fitchburg in my opinion, only smaller in population and a little further west. Leominster is the most expensive of the 3 and also the largest with about 42,000 people. Most of the shopping, restaurants, and jobs in the area are located in Leominster.

You will not find a house for $150-$200 in decent shape or in a good area. You may be able to find a small Ranch in decent shape in Gardner. Other than that, you would be looking at condos. Lots of new condos in the southern part of Fitchburg (in nice residential, good neighborhoods). Problem with those are they are gas heat, and gas heat in Fitchburg is basically a monopoly and will be more expensive than normal.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Gardner is similar to Fitchburg in my opinion, only smaller in population and a little further west.

I think Fitchburg is a whole lot rougher, with a much larger welfare population and shuttered factories. A lot more drugs and addicts in Fitchburg, just a whole lot more of what most people don't want to live around.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,120 times
I have a friend who lives in condos in Leominster. There are quite a few for sale in Fallbrook condominiums. the $150k-160k are ok, but not great but there are a few $175-$180 k that are in perfect condition and redone over. 3 floors! Fitchburg is a bit rough but leominster only have a few "rough" areas as does any city. I always felt safe when there.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 12,047 times
I have lived in Leominster practically my whole life until college. Though I agree that Fitchburg has taken a turn for the worse, Thanks mayor Mylott!!! However, Leominster and Gardner are good places! Even for your kids! I felt so sheltered there! It's not like boston or Lawrence or Lowell (yuck)!!! That person was right about petty crime. I mean it's a city where someone knows someone who knows you. People get bored in that town cause there is not much to do. I decided to move to Connecticut for school but still go home to Leominster to visit family. Leominster still has that sense of "community" that a lot of other places DO NOT HAVE! You will not know unless you have lived there yourself! I recommend going to visit atleast. Property/Condos are not bad to purchase and will not break your pocket. I just realized I'm a real big city girl!!! Leominster was too small town for me. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts