Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 77,112 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move back to Mass. from Ga. (love the Ga. vs Ma. forum, so true) and need help finding a good school system for our kids. Any info. would be appreciated. We are looking in worcester county. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
All 300+ public school districts are free on MA department of education.

Harvard, Shrewsbury, Nashoba Regional, Holden, Mendon/Upton, Southborough, Westboro are all good. Just pick the high income and high parent education level towns. That usually translate to better scores and hence better schools (because they have better scores).

Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM

Besides the good test scores I would also like to look deeper, such as a district that has good facilities, technology, sport programs, and extracurriculars. I want it all my kids, 2nd grade and 6th I also would like to try and find a district/town that is welcoming of newcomers, growing up in a small NE town myself, I know that most kids have gone to school with the same kids and had the same friends since kindergarten also very rarely are there new kids moving in, so as a result sometime kids may not be as friendly to new students. Really just want to find an upbeat, positive place for my kids to go to school.
Thanks again for any help

Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatrix47 View Post
Besides the good test scores I would also like to look deeper, such as a district that has good facilities, technology, sport programs, and extracurriculars. I want it all my kids, 2nd grade and 6th I also would like to try and find a district/town that is welcoming of newcomers, growing up in a small NE town myself, I know that most kids have gone to school with the same kids and had the same friends since kindergarten also very rarely are there new kids moving in, so as a result sometime kids may not be as friendly to new students. Really just want to find an upbeat, positive place for my kids to go to school.
Thanks again for any help
I think you should narrow down to a few towns and then request/research that information. Most towns have their HS rebuild already. Some may still need to redo their elementary schools. Just remember you'll be paying the taxes for it. Hope the town will have the foresight to budget enough money to fill with teachers after the building is renovated or expanded.

Technology I think is a stupid thing. Most use students per computer metric but never ask what they do with the computer. It is like how many blackboards do you have in a class room.

Sport program. Usually only apply to HS not middle or elementary schools. The bigger the high school, the more sport you will have. It also mean harder to participate. Most town now charges $100-200 per sport.

extracurriculars. For middle and elementary school, minimal. High school depends on your kid.

Everyone welcomes generous neighbors regardless of the town you live in. Just donate a lot. Invite your kids friends over for after school play date and even stay for dinner. Have a pool in your backyard. Volunteer to drive everyone else kids to all the events. Volunteer to baby sit. You make friends immediately. Bring 10 kids to see the Red Sox baseball game for his birthday(box seats prefer). Oh. Don't forget to give extra snacks to your kid so your kid can make friends in school too.

Last edited by smarty; 11-13-2006 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM

44 posts, read 196,572 times
Default look into somewhere else

i live in worc county and iS NOT A place to raise children we are leaving because the city has got so run down and expensive trust me i have 2 girls and this is not where i want them to grow up. i myself born and raised here so i have seen the changes also fundings for schools arent like it use to be they have cut tremensiously and the kids classes are overcrowded. the crime rate is over the top just look at the statics. to make a move that big OF A MOVE look into not only the schools but all of worcester, it really is a s****hole to live in.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply not looking to move to Worcester, just the county. Maybe south Worcester county area. Can't sell my house here in Ga. so everything is on hold.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatrix47 View Post
Thanks for the reply not looking to move to Worcester, just the county. Maybe south Worcester county area. Can't sell my house here in Ga. so everything is on hold.
Have you looked in Upton?

Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 AM

Do you live in Upton, or know much about the town?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 40,704 times
Fair Haven has great schools, small classes and is friendly to outsiders. I moved to beautiful Wesport and live in a fantastic location near the beach but my kids are the smartest in the school, just now breaking in after 2 years (alot of kids related to each other) and the miniscule tax rates here make for poor schools. They are going private for High School so that they are not stymied for life. This area is very historic and beautiful but rent first to see if the community accepts you

Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laamin View Post
Fair Haven has great schools, small classes and is friendly to outsiders. I moved to beautiful Wesport and live in a fantastic location near the beach but my kids are the smartest in the school, just now breaking in after 2 years (alot of kids related to each other) and the miniscule tax rates here make for poor schools. They are going private for High School so that they are not stymied for life. This area is very historic and beautiful but rent first to see if the community accepts you
Yes. That area is beautiful. Just beware they are very close to New Bedford or fall river. Those towns are not as nice.

For smart kids, private school may be a good move. One of my kid's friend went to Deerfield and another one Philips Academy. Not only are they smart, they are rich too. I think they score 1400 in SAT in 8th grade. I guess my kid is pretty dumb compare to them. Wish I have better genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts