Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 10:09 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times

Advertisements

Trying to get a handle on these towns - I know none has the vibrant downtown we wanted, but they are close to the 24 hr. vet. in South Dennis.

Given our like of things near 6A - more historic and quiet, vs. mini golf, etc. around Rte 28 - can anyone please tell us which parts of these towns would be best to look?

Yarmouth -
Bass River (heard this is nice)
Hyannis Park
S. Yarmouth
W. Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Yarmouth Port (I think this is up near 6A?)

Dennis -
Dennis (I assume this is Dennis Village, which looks to be near 6A?)
Dennis Port (this looks to be below Rte 28, so I imagine not what we want)
East Dennis
South Dennis
West Dennis - (this also looks to be below Rte 28 - busy?)

Brewster -
Brewster (assume this is the main village near 6A?)
E. Brewster
W Brewster

Harwich -
E. Harwich
Harwich
Harwich Port (appears to be below Rte 28 - busy?)
N. Harwich
S. Harwich
W. Harwich

We'd like to be close to the town centers, grocery, etc., not in the boonies. And close to main roads

Appreciate any help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:47 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Hyannis Park? Never heard of it. Maybe you mean Hyannisport?

Old 06-13-2015, 12:16 PM

Me either. I double-checked. It is listed as Hyannis Park (??)

Old 06-13-2015, 05:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Yarmouthport is on the rte 6a side and is really nice. Hyannis is really a busy place and more commercial. I never heard of Hyannis Park either I like Bass River also

Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
The Cape can be split up into different sections by the major roads. If you look at a map you will see this. Yesterday I drove my roadster back from Bourne to Brewster along Rt6A and it sure was a nice drive and very scenic. I thought about taking Rt28 but with all the traffic lights and congestion I nixed that plan.

All along Rt6a there are major numbered route roads that join it such as Rt134. Most of these will get you back to the RT6 the highway and or all the way South to Rt28. The Cape is really not that big. There are many small quaint back roads which are all about the Cape Cod charm and other more modern roads with traffic lights etc.. and congestion in the Summer.

In general terms along RT6a you will find it to be more rural and the houses are more spread out. Along Rt28 it is more commercial and the houses are closer.

It is difficult to understand this without actually driving around and seeing it first hand.
I own a real estate company on Cape and Each town is a bit different. If we look at Brewster, North of rt6a carries a premium in the price of property due to the proximity to the bay. East Brewster is a bit more built up and the houses are closer together which is probably due to the proximity of the highway and commercial interests in the nearby town of Orleans. In Western Brewster many homes come with more land and there is a much more rural feel to the area. It is not as quick to get to the highway from Western Brewster if you are commuting. Brewster doesn't have a large grocery store like a stop and shop or shaws. The nearest ones are in Orleans or Harwich.

If you like the 24hour Vet in South Dennis why not stick to that town? It is closer to the hospital and shopping in Hyannis. Yes Dennis is busier in the Summer due to tourists but you will learn to get around them.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM

Probably a good idea. Then we won't have to worry about getting through multiple towns to get to the vet if need be.

Is there a large grocery store in South Dennis?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

Is there a large grocery store in South Dennis?
Yes, there's a large Stop & Shop.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 PM

140 posts, read 288,118 times
Dennis on the north side is beautiful and really well managed so the property taxes are reasonable. Yarmouth struggles with more poverty and since the schools are regional, there can be tensions. Harwich and Brewster are beautiful and I think the schools are better. You might not have kids but the quality of the schools to some degree dictates the appreciation of your investment. I think the farther east you go on the Cape, the more seasonal it is and also I think the population is older. The average age in Chatham is 68, that has the oldest people on the Cape. If I moved back, I would look at Dennis and Brewster on the 6A side. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts