Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Just installed 800 sq ft of eastern white pine from Bingham Lumber in brookline, nh. $1.99/sq ft for 8" width random length up to 16 ft. Couldn't be happier with the quality.
Lightly sand, vacuum, & 1 coat gloss oil poly then 2 coats satin oil poly. 12+ hrs btwn coats. I DIY'd, got a quote for $3k to install. (Not including material)
Did that $3k include labor for 3 coats of poly? I never thought about this before, but I assume they need to come back 3 times to finish the job. That sounds like a logistical nightmare if there's usually no one home during the day. $3.75/sf for labor doesn't sound too bad though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:16 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Did that $3k include labor for 3 coats of poly? I never thought about this before, but I assume they need to come back 3 times to finish the job. That sounds like a logistical nightmare if there's usually no one home during the day. $3.75/sf for labor doesn't sound too bad though.
When I installed hardwood in my house approximately half of the cost was the wood (I paid the supplier directly) and the other half was the labor. I paid $6/sf as I've mentioned in the past.

IIRC, it took almost a week to do the whole installation. First, they have to remove the existing flooring. Next, they have to prepare the floor and then install the flooring. It's a lot of cutting and nailing. Then it has to be sanded. Then they put an initial coat of sealer down. Once that's dry they come back and put a second coat on. Then that dries and they put a 3rd coat on. The whole process took about 5 days or so.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
When I installed hardwood in my house approximately half of the cost was the wood (I paid the supplier directly) and the other half was the labor. I paid $6/sf as I've mentioned in the past.

IIRC, it took almost a week to do the whole installation. First, they have to remove the existing flooring. Next, they have to prepare the floor and then install the flooring. It's a lot of cutting and nailing. Then it has to be sanded. Then they put an initial coat of sealer down. Once that's dry they come back and put a second coat on. Then that dries and they put a 3rd coat on. The whole process took about 5 days or so.
I thought they screwed the subfloor into the joists now instead of nailing it in. That's supposed to prevent the squeaks that you hear on old floors. At least that's what my contractor told me when I asked him if he could fix the squeaks I had.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:52 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I thought they screwed the subfloor into the joists now instead of nailing it in. That's supposed to prevent the squeaks that you hear on old floors. At least that's what my contractor told me when I asked him if he could fix the squeaks I had.
Your contractor is talking about replacing your subfloor? I don't recall if mine did anything to my subfloor. I know it wasn't replaced but he might have screwed it down in a few spots. The nailing I was referring to was the hardwood flooring itself.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Your contractor is talking about replacing your subfloor? I don't recall if mine did anything to my subfloor. I know it wasn't replaced but he might have screwed it down in a few spots. The nailing I was referring to was the hardwood flooring itself.
Yeah, I have a few squeaks in certain spots and I asked my contractor if he could fix them while he was in the house doing something else for me. He said it was a big job that required taking out the flooring, screwing in the subfloor, then put flooring back on, so it wasn't worth it. I was thinking he could just find where the joist is, screw in the subfloor through the hardwoods, then fill in the hole with some wood filler. I guess I can ask the flooring guys when I get my quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts