Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 24,446 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading this and helping me out.
I am a single, non-custodial dad from the central mass area looking for an affordable place to live near Boston.

The places I need access to are Waltham, Burlington, and Concord. I could move out of the 128 belt but in my off time after work and not with my daughter I want to be able to have options and have things close by!

I chose the Medford area to concentrate on because I don't need to worry about the school system and I can take fairly direct routes to the cities I mentioned above. This would also put me in an area close to the city but not in the city.

So if I have enthralled you to this point, my question is this. I have seen a post or two about the good areas in Medford, but I was hoping to get a second or third or even fourth(!) opinion to help me figure out where to look and where not to look. I'm not looking to live in the lap of luxury or I'd look outside of Medford. Rather, I'd like to live in an area where I won't have to worry about my car or home getting broken into everynight, and is also safe for my daughter when she's with me.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
All of Medford is relatively safe. If there's anywhere to stay away from it's probably the south side of Medford towards Somerville near the highway, but it's not seriously dangerous or anything. West Medford has quite a range and actually includes some of the nicest areas in town.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Medford is a safe town, you'll be fine there. But yes as TheWereRabbit mentioned, the south side of Medford near Somerville was always sketchy through there. Try to see if you can live any where near the Fellsway or through the area where the Lawrence Estates are, like near the Lawrence Memorial Hospital. That's the part that was always really safe and quite nice. You'll see this area when you're driving through there and know where I mean. Look for High Street and the rotary and you'll keep driving north and you'll come upon the area I'm talking about. Medford High School is further along this road too. All through that whole part of Medford was always quite nice and pretty safe in my book.

A few months ago in fact, it was October 14th, 2007, there was this huge dedication in Medford and my family and I went to it, due to the fact that we have 6 relatives that were all from Medford all through the years for more than 30 years and they were all in the various wars. It was quite a wonderful dedication that none of us will ever forget for the rest of our lives! Mayor McGlynn and his staff did an outstanding job. There's a lot of proud, patriotic citizens that live in Medford no matter what nationality they are. If you saw all the thousands of people that were there you would have been awestruck with it all, the way we were. It was really something to see. This dedication was held at Medford's Honor Roll Park and if you get the chance to go there, check it out, it's near Medford High School and the Jewish Synagogue. It's quite a beautiful veterans' memorial. It's honoring the veterans of World War II, the Korean and the Vietnam wars. Mayor Michael McGlynn & his staff in Medford really did an outstanding job with pulling this major dedication off, for all of us to witness and be a part of. He had US Senator John Kerry, a Vietnam War veteran, who delivered the keynote address at this October 14 dedication ceremony. This dedication began at noon right at this Honor Roll Park at 489 Winthrop Street. Residents & guests were invited to attend a barbecue following the ceremony and it was catered by Kelly's Roast Beef. Medford veteran Tom Convery, the only resident on each memorial for his service in the three conflicts, delivered the Pledge of Allegiance and Lt. Col. John Hammond of the National Guard was the master of ceremonies. The dedication ceremony was conducted in solemn military fashion with the Massachusetts National Guard Ceremonial Unit, a Howitzer Salute, and the raising of 45 x 90 foot American flag. The Massachusetts Air National Guard Band provided music for the event.

We have pictures of it all. They even had a Black Hawk Helicopter fly overhead and all around and then it landed on the field, it was really an awesome day. You never saw anything like it in your life when that thing landed! All the little kids went crazy when it arrived and they didn't expect it to land right where it did like that, right in front of all of us on that field; it was SO priceless seeing this all take place! The raising of the 45 x 90 foot American flag was awesome too. In all my life I never saw anything like it on this earth. They had SUCH a gorgeous day for it too, the sun was shining and that flag raising was out of this world, it made every one of us SO proud to be Americans, especially witnessing that spectacular flag that way! Evidently it's the flag that goes all around the country to the various dedications and services. It took this humongous crane to raise it. It was absolutely awesome to be there for this whole event.

SO, Mdeepa, this is the town you're moving to, be proud, be very proud to be living there, because it's quite a town! It's going to be ideal for you there. You're going to like living there a lot. Having access to all your various cities and towns you have listed will be good for you from there and also, getting in to downtown Boston will be fantastic from here as well. The MBTA orange line is right there with the train and bus service right at your fingertips, you can't beat it with a stick.

There's a new plaza there called Station Landing at Wellington Circle now, it's quite the place. They have a Pizzeria Regina that's out of this world good, so check it out some time. You can get it "TO GO" and bring it home! SO many people were doing that last night when we were there, it wasn't even funny! It's quite a place, we didn't think we'd find a parking spot but we got one right out front last night! It reminds a lot of us SO much of the one in the North End on Thatcher Street! This new Regina seems to be doing very well at this new location too. There's also a "Not Your Average Joe's" in this same new plaza that we have yet to try, but we love the one in Newburyport, so it's probably just as good AND there's another Kelly's Roast Beef to boot in this place, we couldn't believe it, that will be a little gold mine in that spot!

We still have to go to Lacascia's Bakery all the time which is located at 418 Main Street in Medford for the holidays. It's like our little tradition we have; in fact, we'll be taking a run down there any day! I've been going there for years and years and probably always will; no matter where we live around New England. They have a few fantastic bakeries and deli's in Medford of course, but this one will always be awesome; no matter what! There's a Modern Pastry located at 20 Salem Street in Medford that's the same as the one in the North End, so remember that, it's there 2nd location, we go there too sometimes for the cannoli's! I see you have Burlington as a town that you need to go to, well there's a Lacascia's Bakery in Burlington, so look for it because it's a good one! Actually either one is very convenient and quite good.

Here's some info for you that you'll find interesting about your new town:
The picturesque town of Medford, MA is a town full of history and culture, Massachusetts' city of Medford offers plenty of cultural establishments and historic sites. Past residents of this city included James Pierpont who wrote the catchy Christmas tune "Jingle Bells;" current New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg; Elizabeth Short who was known as the "black dahlia" following her death due to a gruesome crime; and Lydia Maria Child -- a poet who wrote "Over the River and Through The Woods." Located at Middlesex County, Medford is now a thriving city that is mostly comprised of Italian-Americans. Because of the city's numerous Italian communities, Medford is popular for its line-up of superb Italian bakeries and restaurants.

Medford is divided into several neighborhoods. The neighborhoods with the most number of residents are West Medford, The Hillside, Lawrence Estates, Fulton Heights, Station Landing, North Medford, South Medford, and Wellington Glenwood. Many of these neighborhoods are comprised of spacious suburbs, making this town an ideal residential area. For those who are planning to move into Medford, this city offers lots of affordable apartments and houses.

Population: 55,765 (2006)
Population Growth: -0.2% (2000 to 2006)
Median Home Cost: $398,200
Home Appreciation: 1.8%
Median Household Income: $59,600
Unemployment Rate: 3.6%
Median Real Estate Property Tax: $2,616
Population Density: 6,855 persons per square mile
High School (or higher): 85.6%
Bachelor's Degree (or higher): 31.7%
Graduate/Prof. Degree: 11.8%
Average Commute To Work: 27.3 minutes
City Website: http://www.medford.org/
Nearest cities:

* Malden (1.9 miles)
* Somerville (2.4 miles)
* Arlington (2.5 miles)
* Winchester (2.7 miles)
* Everett (2.9 miles)
* Cambridge (3.7 miles)
* Belmont (3.9 miles)
* Charlestown (4.1 miles)

SO that's the scoop on Medford that I have for you. The bottom line is Mdeepa, you're going to find it to be very very convenient living there. Good luck with residing in this lovely town!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 12-12-2007 at 04:13 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
Medford is a good choice. That was my hometown. Safe city to live in. Convenient to all that you mentioned. I don't think you could go wrong there, good luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 40,318 times
Medford is a relatively safe area to live I've read a few replys stating that the South side of the city is most dangerous..I'd have to disagree although it's not the safest part I would say any of the areas close to Salem Street is the worst. I am a Medford police officer and 75% of the incidents in the city are either on Salem St or one of the streets which run off of it.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
I lived in Medford while I was in grad school and really liked it. Plenty safe. Try to get an apartment within walking distance of Teele Square or, better, Davis Square. When your daughter is spending weekends with you, you can easily take the subway from Davis Square (red line) and get to the city in 15 minutes to do fun stuff.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
P.S. Look in Arlington, too--around Arlington Center or East Arlington. Also very safe, and the rents aren't really much higher--if at all--than Medford rents.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 PM

30 posts, read 94,581 times
I live in Medford and lived here all my life. Medford has a lot of different nsections with different types of people. South Medford has alot of inlegal brazilian immigrants and there are some gangs there so I wouldn't move there. Wellingtion (riverside ave salem street area) has alot of inlegals there too and it isn't that safe. The projects on riverside ave have some gangs there too. West Medford is pretty safe the dugger park area is one of the oldest neighborhoods and has alot of african american families that have lived there for decades. they cleaned that area up alot. North Medford and the LE are the safest sections.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM

65 posts, read 378,420 times
Don't know how old your daughter is but check out the Medford Family Network, they have amazing programs for parents and kids. They really are a great resource! Enjoy!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM

287 posts, read 1,027,701 times
I'm not the world's biggest expert on Medford, but my Dad lives in West Medford and it's lovely. It's super easy to take the commuter rail into Boston or the bus to Davis, Lechmere, Medford Square, or Arlington Center, plus West Medford Square has a few restaurants and stores if you want to stick close to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts