Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM

63 posts, read 119,724 times

Advertisements

My wife works in Boston and I work in the Worcester area. We currently live in Clinton and she drives to Westborough and take the train into the Back Bay, depends on the day I have a 20-45 minutes commute.

We are looking for a condo/towhhome or maybe house (we know that one is a long shot) that would reduce her commute and keep mine within an hour. We are both first time homebuyers.

Price range - I would prefer to stay within 250k while my wife is willing to go up to 300k. What towns would be a good compromise? 10-15 minutes drive to the T would be desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
Framingham is smack dab in the middle of Boston and Worcester. It's also far more affordable than many of it's neighbors like Natick and Sudbury.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:24 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,917,159 times
Westborough, Southborough, Ashland, Framingham, Hopkinton.

Once the route 9 bridge is done, commutes into Worcester should be easily less than 1 hour.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Framingham is smack dab in the middle of Boston and Worcester. It's also far more affordable than many of it's neighbors like Natick and Sudbury.
We looked into Framingham and are still looking; but I was told to cautious because a wrong left or right I may end up in a bad neighborhood.

Also my boss suggested to remain on the north side of Framingham so that is the area we have been looking into, it is also more expensive $$$

Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Westborough, Southborough, Ashland, Framingham, Hopkinton.

Once the route 9 bridge is done, commutes into Worcester should be easily less than 1 hour.
Thanks, all areas we are considering. Thank you

Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 AM

605 posts, read 1,167,608 times
What on Earth are you doing west of 495? Is there action up there in the land of the Museum of Russian Icons? Get yourselves down to Framingham or Southboro stat. (Bit of sarcasm happening here, but I mean, yes, do move).

Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,533,242 times
Hudson? Ayer? Littleton? Marlboro? Beware the high prices and so-called "amenities" in the nether regions of MetroWest. Framingham is pretty hit or miss and pricier than where you are now. In Clinton you at least have a pretty reservoir and can see Wachusett and a hill or three. Plus that budget limits you unfortunately! Your wife sounds like she probably needs could use North Station, so maybe just consider a spot on the Fitchburg line around 495. Ayer and Littleton might fit the bill and aren't entirely perversely expensive. Ayer is pretty similar to Clinton anyhow, just with the bonus of a commuter train!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,917,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Hudson? Ayer? Littleton? Marlboro? Beware the high prices and so-called "amenities" in the nether regions of MetroWest. Framingham is pretty hit or miss and pricier than where you are now. In Clinton you at least have a pretty reservoir and can see Wachusett and a hill or three. Plus that budget limits you unfortunately! Your wife sounds like she probably needs could use North Station, so maybe just consider a spot on the Fitchburg line around 495. Ayer and Littleton might fit the bill and aren't entirely perversely expensive. Ayer is pretty similar to Clinton anyhow, just with the bonus of a commuter train!
Not if she needs to get to Back Bay.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawiau View Post
We looked into Framingham and are still looking; but I was told to cautious because a wrong left or right I may end up in a bad neighborhood.

Also my boss suggested to remain on the north side of Framingham so that is the area we have been looking into, it is also more expensive $$$
I think someone has given you a cartoonish image of Framingham. I actually grew up in Framingham and lived there for nearly 20 years. It's not quite the same town I left after I graduated college but it's definitely would never say "one wrong turn and you can end up in a bad neighborhood." I would also caution you against painting a line along route 9 and ignoring the entire side of town south of that line. There are actually some very lovely and expensive neighborhoods on the south side. The Macomber Farms neighborhood is quite expensive and lovely and it's definitely on the south side just to name one example.

I think your problem is that you're talking to people who don't really know Framingham all that well.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,931,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think someone has given you a cartoonish image of Framingham. I actually grew up in Framingham and lived there for nearly 20 years. It's not quite the same town I left after I graduated college but it's definitely would never say "one wrong turn and you can end up in a bad neighborhood." I would also caution you against painting a line along route 9 and ignoring the entire side of town south of that line. There are actually some very lovely and expensive neighborhoods on the south side. The Macomber Farms neighborhood is quite expensive and lovely and it's definitely on the south side just to name one example.

I think your problem is that you're talking to people who don't really know Framingham all that well.
Second all of this, and I've lived in Framingham within the past decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts