Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

548 posts, read 2,098,368 times

Advertisements

A new study just out by John Hopkins University has labeled the Greenfield, Mass. Public Schools, specifically the High School, as a "Dropout Factory."
Google it for details, methodology, etc.

The neighboring school system, Gill-Montague, continues to be on the Mass. Dept. of Education under-performing list.

All the Franklin County, Mass. schools are poor educationally and socially.

When you pick a place to live, how much do you use school quality as a deciding factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,490,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
When you pick a place to live, how much do you use school quality as a deciding factor?
Is it quality of school or quality of student that they are measuring?

Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 PM

548 posts, read 2,098,368 times
They're measuring quality of school. Obviously, if Greenfield's school is labeled a "Dropout Factory" then the students have dropped out and aren't still there to be measured.

You can look up the John Hopkins study and come to your own understanding of it.

However, poor community + lot's of family/social problems + plus low quality schools = dropout factory. The arithmetic of life.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM

156 posts, read 562,874 times
Unhappy Greenfield High School grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
A new study just out by John Hopkins University has labeled the Greenfield, Mass. Public Schools, specifically the High School, as a "Dropout Factory."
Google it for details, methodology, etc.

The neighboring school system, Gill-Montague, continues to be on the Mass. Dept. of Education under-performing list.

All the Franklin County, Mass. schools are poor educationally and socially.

While these types of broad-scope surveys are somewhat useful for drawing general conclusions, as with all studies of this nature almost all mitigating factors are left out and only the numbers dutifully recorded. The authors of the study themselves admitted that the only thing they looked at were the number of entering freshmen in a given year and the number of those original freshmen who graduated. Any who did not graduate were presumed to be dropouts. That is simply not the case for most of these schools.
In the case of Greenfield, most went to many of the private schools in the area, transferred to the local vocational school or simply moved away (and a good number transferred in). As a graduate of Greenfield High School who then went on to a very prestigious college (along with many of my friends and siblings), I saw first hand that very few of my freshmen classmates actually dropped out; the worst I witnessed was that a few had to repeat grades which I regard as a good thing compared to unconditionally graduating everybody.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,187,766 times
There's a lot of social problems in Greenfield H.S. too. Bullying is a serious problem, drugs, and teen pregnancy.

Some people are trying to address it. Denial won't help.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM

156 posts, read 562,874 times
Default Ghs

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
There's a lot of social problems in Greenfield H.S. too. Bullying is a serious problem, drugs, and teen pregnancy.

Some people are trying to address it. Denial won't help.
I attended Greenfield HS a number of years ago and enjoyed my experience there. Bullying was limited, and pregnancies were few and far between. Our biggest problem at the time were the few kids who would get themselves killed in car accidents (maybe 1-5 a year), which is a common problem in rural areas. If what you say is indeed true, then those problems do need to be dealt with. You are right that denial doesn't help and nearly all schools have problems that need to be addressed. I was simply stating that the 60% graduation rate noted in the study is misleading.
BTW, willdufauve, I seem to recall you are from the North Shore, but for some reason live in Greenfield and really can't stand it. I (and I'm sure others as well) are curious - why are you still there? I don't intend these as fighting words; I am geniunely curious.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM

No fighting words taken, OhEdo. You can dispute the John Hopkins findings if you want. My money's on John Hopkins. I believe GHS also was on the MA Department of Education's "under-performing" list until this year.

I did grow up on the North Shore and went to undergraduate school in Boston.

I haven't left Greenfield fully but relocated my business out of town in August. I was looking in Springfield but found a sweet deal on commercial space in Holyoke. So far, Holyoke, despite it's bad reputation, is working out to be a fantastic decision for me. My space is huge, renovated loft-like, low rent, and my fellow business tenants are rapidly becoming friends.

There's more education news in today's Greenfield Recorder. The Gfld Education Association has filed a grievance against Mayor Forgey for unfair labor practices.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 23,370 times
I live in greenfield, dont go to school at this highschool but my sister does.. it really is a horrible school lots of drugs, fighting, teen deaths due to car accidents and alcohol and bullying, lots of drop outs too

Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Sorry your sister is in a bad situation. I really feel for her. I hope she'll hang in and finish her education. Our kids deserve better than Greenfield gives them. Unfortunately, there's no hope on the horizon for this town.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,774 times
And where are the parents in all this? Are they required to make their children attend school? Are their consequences when the children don't attend? Does the GFLD school program have an Anti-Bullying Program? Do parents-school officials-law enforcement work together to stamp out the bullying? Taking away welfare support payments from parents who don't insure their children attend school might make a significant difference in attendance rates. Does GFLD High School still have programs like Auto Shop, Print Shop, Wood-Working? How about asking for volunteers from the High School and the local senior centers to work on homework and reading with the younger kids so that they don't get behind and will want to stay in school? It takes MORE than a good teacher to educate a child. If you think your school is crummy....then get busy and start helping to make it a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts