Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 AM

62 posts, read 135,352 times

Advertisements

That should about cover it!

We're from a small rural village in England, hoping to relocate to MA.

I'm American, haven't lived in the States for 17 years; my husband is British and loves MA because of what we call "history."

We are assuming that these towns have the rural feel that we currently have, but what are the shopping/kids' facilities like? Closest - furthest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Littleton: small town feel, more down-to-earth than the other three towns
Bolton: more yuppies than Littleton, everything from log cabins to mega-mansions, politically conservative
Harvard: Currier & Ives classic New England feel, horse and hounds, home schooling moms, has a convent, old money
Westford: more families with two working parents, politically moderate, closest to New Hampshire and has a new shopping area, pretty town center separate from the business district, least rural feel of these 4 towns, new money

For a truly rural town add Berlin to your list. Berlin is close to the Solomon Pond Mall.

For a history lover, Harvard would be best.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks 495neighbor, that sounds like it sums it up. I'll have a look at Berlin also

Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Had a look at Berlin; however, the school looks like it's not at the same levels as the other towns. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I can't tell you much but I have noticed Littleton seems to have a ton of recreational opportunities for kids. I live kind of close to it and I am most jealous of what they offer! You might want to check the town's website for their recreation department.
I find Bolton very pretty and in my opinion very rural. But that is all I know of it.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Harvard has a nice, quaint downtown too - a nice green. Their conservation program is pretty well funded. There are also a few nice running races in the area.
Westford has a whole lot more shopping than Harvard or Littleton. Littleton Rd - from Littleton to Chelmsford and Lowell is quite built up shopping wise.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I can't tell you much but I have noticed Littleton seems to have a ton of recreational opportunities for kids. I live kind of close to it and I am most jealous of what they offer! You might want to check the town's website for their recreation department.
I find Bolton very pretty and in my opinion very rural. But that is all I know of it.
Both Littleton and Bolton have a country feel. Bolton has a more dark woodsy look. Littleton is more open and flat. Bolton is a more attractive town than Liittleton, more pine trees, hills, the winery and apple orchards, more attractive houses.

Littleton has genuinely nice laid-back people. The town center is close to the highway entrance and thus not very walkable. It could also use some nice indie businesses. Unfortunately, it looks to be becoming mallified like Westford.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I hear you on the 119 area from Littleton towards Westford is becoming mallified. (love that word) I went to high school in Westford many years ago (Nashoba) and haven't really spent anytime there since then. I was there about two weeks ago and was horrified. What was once a nice country type town was now a paved over chain store/restaurant hell. YUCK!
A town I would suggest that is not on the list is Groton. I love Groton. I always say it's Andover with pine trees. Great schools, good community feel and well I just love it!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I hear you on the 119 area from Littleton towards Westford is becoming mallified. (love that word) I went to high school in Westford many years ago (Nashoba) and haven't really spent anytime there since then. I was there about two weeks ago and was horrified. What was once a nice country type town was now a paved over chain store/restaurant hell. YUCK!
A town I would suggest that is not on the list is Groton. I love Groton. I always say it's Andover with pine trees. Great schools, good community feel and well I just love it!
I agree with magicshark, if one is wiling to look at these other towns Groton is worth a look. It has the bike trail running through it, friendly social well-mannered people, walkable downtown with unique stores, pretty historic architecture and some good sophisticated higher scale restaurants. Being there is almost like being on vacation up in the mountains only living there.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Berlin is pretty far west of the towns mentioned.
Littleton has wonderful conservation land areas and all that shopping is near enough (Westford). Littleton seems like a very coherent, unpretentious place, very kid-oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts