Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,751 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the MA area (just moved to Boston!) and was interested in knowing more about the persona of the different MA towns. What are some of them known for? For example - Salem, MA has the Salem Witch trials. What are some of the other towns within an hour's drive from Boston known for? Do any of them have something so special you just keep going back for more?

Thanks for the help!
-Clinton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,879,029 times
Concord is known for its natural beauty and tranquility. Home of famed writers Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Louisa May Alcott, it has many historical houses and Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It also has Walden Pond which is worth a visit, although some people love it and some think it's too crowded in the summer.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM

If you're in Boston proper, I would also suggest taking the ferry for a day trip down to Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod. I'll let you do your own search, but it's a place everyone has to visit at least once (and many keep coming back for more!)

Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Sorry I keep thinking of more things after I'm done posting. Since you're new to Boston you might not realize that we have many states within a short drive so don't limit yourself to Massachusetts. Other favorite spots include Southern Maine (Ogunquit, ME), NH Lakes region (Wolfeboro, NH), NH White Mountains region (North Conway, NH), and Newport RI.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,718,502 times
Cambridge, universities, think tanks, laboratories, intellectual
Gloucester, fishermen, rocky shores, lighthouse, classic New England shore
Ipswich, miles of beach, serene
Essex, antique dealers
Concord, socially-conscious, literary
Newport, historic mansions, tennis, jazz festival, sophisticated
Salem, quaint, mysterious, arty, alternative
Boston (Beacon Hill), established, olde Boston
Boston (North End), cobblestones, narrow streets, European, Italian food, laid-back
Boston (Seaport District), contemporary, forward thinking, ICA, growing Innovation District
Stow, apple country, farm stands, orchards, barns
Williamstown, foliage, fall in New England
Marshfield, ocean, Kennedyesque

Last edited by 495neighbor; 07-15-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,751 times
Thanks this is exactly the information I'm looking for. I'm going to add Concord, Salem, Newport, Gloucester, Ipswich, Provincetown and the White Mountains on my must visit list. Are there any other places you'd recommend? How is Beverly? I've heard it is nice.

Best Regards,
-Clinton

Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Geez, no mention of Plymouth yet?! You know: Pilgrims, New World, first Thanksgiving!

Plymouth rock isn't too impressive, but the Mayflower and Plimouth Plantation are worth checking out. The water front area has a nice historic feel to it.

And if you're out around that area (and especially if you're new to New England), you should also head towards Middleboro and Carver and check out the cranberry bogs. I'm sure there are some tours available.

Scituate is a nice area as well. It's an old fishing town and definitely has it's own character.

And after you're done checking out the areas close to Boston, go towards the Berkshires one weekend. Beautiful scenery and plenty of quaint New Englandy towns (down town consisting of a general store, single pump gas station, a church, and maybe an ice cream parlor). There are also some nice artsy towns out there if you're into that as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,055,743 times
Newburyport -

Known for being the smallest city in MA at 17K population
Vibrant arts community, small seaport
Plum Island (Newburyport and Newbury) - 11 mile long barrier island home to the National Wildlife Refuge, Sandy Point State Reservation and nesting place of the Piping Plover
Has the largest collection of Federal style homes in the Country on High Street
Maudsley Park - 450 acres - theatre in the open, contains the largest naturally occurring stands of Mountain Laurel in the state, beautiful rhododendrun garden, lots of trails
Waterfront Boardwalk and lawn for concerts in the Summer
Coast Guard - Birthplace of the Coast Guard (this is controversial)
Yankee Homecoming - 56th Annual starts 7/28 and runs through 8/3 - SO much to do - free waterfront concerts, sidewalk sales, antique car show, art show, book sales, beerfest, Greek food festival, parade and fireworks

Newbury - Beautiful marsh, antiques, farm stands - Tendercrop Farm Stand
Amesbury - Apple orchards, pretty land, cute downtown
West Newbury - Gorgeous land, farm stands

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 AM

6,495 posts, read 7,879,746 times
Fantastic thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM

29 posts, read 46,279 times
The seasons are gorgeous here:
Fall: Apple picking at Honey Pot Orchards in Stow, MA, leaf-peeping (mid-week) along the Kancamagus in the White Mountains of NH, Thanksgiving Parade in Plymouth
Winter: Skating on the Frog Pond on Boston Common, skiing at Loon Mountain in Lincoln, NH, the Nantucket Christmas stroll
Spring: Picnicking in the Public Garden when the Swan Boats are launched, Lilac Sunday at the Arnold Arboretum
Summer: Walking along any Cape beach at 6:00 when the sun is beginning to set, eating a lobster roll at the Flying Bridge in Falmouth, the fireworks on July 4th anywhere in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts