Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 AM

49 posts, read 80,563 times

Advertisements

Change of lifestyle needed! Does anyone have good insight about both of these areas? Looking for: aesthetic charm and beauty near the water, arts and culture, with city-like amenities in terms of gastronomy and unique shops in a year-round, vibrant community. We are self-employed and yearning for a much needed change from the dull drums of suburban CT. Want to be close to Boston or Providence and the ocean/bay without living right in the city . . . But also concerned about whether these towns as beautiful as they are, might quickly feel "too small".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 AM

270 posts, read 468,879 times
What's your budget? Do you need a good school district for your kids? More information would be great.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,962,078 times
Your 2nd sentence described Newburyport to a T. While Newburyport is not really 'close' to Boston, it's a relatively easy drive or train ride as long as you're not commuting to a job. Rush hour is anything but! Since you are self-employed, Newburyport might be just what you are looking for. Sorry, I can't comment or compare Bristol RI-hopefully someone else can help in that area.

Arts & culture are strongly supported in Newburyport. There are festivals that take place in Market Square, in the waterfront park, and at beautiful Maudslay State Park. The summer concert series are well attended, and it's wonderful to see the variety of people--all ages, from retirees to groups of teens, to young families with toddlers, all there to enjoy the music in a beautiful setting. Blankets are set out, lawn chairs, picnic baskets, etc.

On it's own, NBPT is a charming community, with a downtown area that consists of several streets, walkable courtyard and with it's great location on Rte 95, can easily get you north to places like Portsmouth, NH (a foodie's paradise!) or coastal areas of southern Maine (York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Old Port (Portland)-each with their own shopping & dining amenities) Besides the downtown area (where many of the festivals take place) there are shopping plazas close to the highway for your day to day needs, or if you happen to need 'big box style' shopping, that's a few exits north in Seabrook, NH.

I'm sure somebody will come along soon with pictures to share of Newburyport wish I had them on this computer...

Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times
Newburyport is wonderful. I'm not familiar with urban lifestyles so I can't advise you on that but it has trendy restaurants and sidewalk cafes, entertainment, cute shops, and a lot of activity going on especially in summer. The downtown is very walkable. There really is not much access to mall shopping unless you go south to the North Shore Mall. There is train service into Boston. It has its own excellent hospital and a YWCA. The surrounding areas are quite rural though--Newbury and Plum Island, Byfield, Salisbury, Amesbury and just to the north is New Hampshire. If you're really into urban, you might not like it.

I have been to Bristol a few times but only for genealogical research and it seemed bigger than Newburyport but I didn't like it there as it seemed run down, at that time anyway. There was a college nearby and a park. I think the college would provide some activities.

Both cities are on the water and have an ocean presence. Newburyport is upscale with yachts and can be quite expensive to live in. I don't know about Bristol. You could ask on the RI forum.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM

49 posts, read 80,563 times
For a few years, we would be keeping the CT home, as there is a business that we would still need to manage nearby. So we would be looking at first for a small condo as a transition into the new area. We have a music lesson studios business and would likely want to open a second one in the new area, which would necessitate a year round, affluent, family oriented demographic in the vicinity. Are NBPT and Bristol too geared toward seasonal visitors/tourists? We really don't want that, but do want the ocean nearby and the city like amenities (asking a lot, I know but have really served our time in suburbia!)

Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracehappens View Post
For a few years, we would be keeping the CT home, as there is a business that we would still need to manage nearby. So we would be looking at first for a small condo as a transition into the new area. We have a music lesson studios business and would likely want to open a second one in the new area, which would necessitate a year round, affluent, family oriented demographic in the vicinity. Are NBPT and Bristol too geared toward seasonal visitors/tourists? We really don't want that, but do want the ocean nearby and the city like amenities (asking a lot, I know but have really served our time in suburbia!)
Newburyport is not that seasonal although it gets crowded downtown in summer due to tourists looking in the shops and eating in the restaurants. It's not all for tourists, even in the summer. I go and get something to eat or walk around and it's pleasant, not jam packed with tourists. It's not the type of place that has summer rentals, it's a small city of year round residents who are rather affluent.

I looked at your post on the RI forum and from what the one current reply states, Newburyport seems to be your best bet. I don't think you'd like the isolation of those other MA towns they mention, they are too far from the action even for someone like me who enjoys rural living. Gloucester is one exception although it is not as affluent as Newburyport. It is artsy and has a thriving downtown. If you want upscale and affluent with a bit of a city feel, it's Newburyport. I lived in suburban CT so I know what you mean about the boring and Newburyport is not like that.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM

242 posts, read 351,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I lived in suburban CT so I know what you mean about the boring and Newburyport is not like that.
Well said, in_newengland. I live in suburban CT, too, but my mother lives in Newburyport and I agree 100% it's not boring there. There are a lot of condos in the Newburyport and many within walking distance of downtown. OP, check out any River's Edge condos (google them) - very convenient location.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

10,042 posts, read 15,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracehappens View Post
Bristol isn't really seasonal, but I don' know how "affuent" it is, especially compared to Newburyport.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM

541 posts, read 1,997,091 times
I am from New York City and I am not bored in Newburyport. There is a lot going on here during the year and many towns are nearby (Ipswich, Salem, Portsmouth, NH.) It is close to Boston (45 minutes or less drive, 1 hour train ride) and NYC (4 hour drive.) Montreal is also pretty close. We have driven up there for a long weekend. There are 2 airports close by. The beach is very close. Both Plum Island and Salisbury. Rye and Hampton too. Crane's Beach in Ipswich is really nice too.

If you do a search for Newburyport there were a few recent threads where I posted pictures and videos. Walk Score also has good pictures. Here are some more folks! The interior one is the library.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-boa.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-bri.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-bri2.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-hb.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-hs.jpg  

Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-kya.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-lib.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-mi.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-oh.jpg   Help with newburyport vs. Bristol, ri?-old.jpg  

Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,962,078 times
Thank you, luvthatmouse--I was hoping you'd be along to share your pictures Newburyport is not a seasonal 'beachy' town, and doesn't have seasonal businesses either. However, the downtown area in particular can feel a bit congested on holiday or festival weekends, when the on-street parking and public parking lots are all full.

It seems to me that a music studio would be very well received, considering Newburyport's appreciation and support of the arts. Public recitals & performances may be possible, not just downtown, but in other areas as well. Take a look at The Newburyport 2013 Yankee Homecoming to see how the entire community gets involved with this week-long event. Local businesses are on display to everyone present, an excellent way to help spread the word about your business. This is not the only festival, but is certainly the most well attended, with continuous activities throughout the town, something for everybody and finishing the festivities with a waterfront fireworks display on Saturday night and a grand parade on Sunday. Happy times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts