Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 AM

5 posts, read 9,319 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for a house in the Boston suburbs and recently came across one we like on Highgate Road in Wayland. Can anyone tell me more about this part of town / this neighborhood? We've been to the house a few times and were surprised that we can hear some sort of industrial machine sound in the area. We learned that there's a gravel pit (I think??) nearby, and were able to see something that could be that using Google Earth. It seems that there is an area, very near this house and behind the High School, where something is being done. Does anyone know anything about this land and the machinery being used or the project being done? Having this machinery noise is a deal breaker for us when it comes to buying a house, however, we do like Wayland and would like to understand what's going on. Maybe its just a short term thing? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,050,582 times
Here's an article from last year that indicates the gravel pit is inactive. The construction noise you hear may be the relocation of the town wells also mentioned. You can always check with town hall to see what's going on in the area if it's a major concern.

Board of Health Discusses Sodium, Chlorine in Wayland's Water - Wayland, MA Patch

Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,319 times
Thanks so much for your reply. I will call the Town Hall on Monday. Is there anything else you can share with me about the neighborhood in/around Highgate Road? Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM

There's not too much to know when house shopping in Wayland. The whole town is very nice. The new "Town Center" shopping area is going to be awesome once everything is open. Your neighborhood is right down the street from Sandy Burr which is a good public golf course if you're into golf. When it comes to Wayland there's not a ton to think about in my experience.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,825,946 times
I believe the Highgate Rd. neighborhood also has a walking path to the high school without going back out to 126. Check with your realtor on that one. Another thing to note about that neighborhood is the aqueduct that runs behind it. I heard they are planning on turning it into a bike/walking path, so if your house abuts it you can count on losing any privacy you currently have.

Btw I put an offer/deposit on a house on Stonebridge several years ago near the corner of Highgate. I liked the neighborhood, but didn't like the mold and radon that was found in the basement during our home inspection. Since Highgate is right next door, I would assume radon gas would be found in all the houses on that street too due to the granite that is underneath that neighborhood.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Another thing to note about that neighborhood is the aqueduct that runs behind it. I heard they are planning on turning it into a bike/walking path, so if your house abuts it you can count on losing any privacy you currently have.
I recently met with a group that's working on a rail trail in Needham and one thing they went out of their way to impress upon me was that they (and other groups doing the same thing in other towns) go out of their way to insure that no one feels like they have lost their privacy. These groups often put up fences (natural or man made) to make people more comfortable with the trail abbutting their property.

Apparently, they also commissioned a study and found that values of homes along rail trails actually increased in value after the creation of the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
. . . didn't like the mold and radon that was found in the basement during our home inspection. Since Highgate is right next door, I would assume radon gas would be found in all the houses on that street too due to the granite that is underneath that neighborhood.
Radon is a funny thing. You can test two houses right next to each other and one will be over the EPA recommended level while the other will have virtually undetectable radon levels.

Regardless, radon is a common occurence in these parts. Have a mitigation system installed and it's a non-issue.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:50 AM

5 posts, read 4,938 times
Default Rent House for Summer

Rent House for Summer
Hello, we are glad to see your rent- house ads. As an old couple we just need to rent a simple house with a kitchen and a toilet. We can rent alone or share with someone. This time we are going to live from June 15 to September 15. Next time , maybe we live longer in this winter.
We are parents of a graduate student of Brandeis University. Recently our son is too busy to help us for renting and also we don't want to disturb him, but like to write to you.
Moreover if someone hopes to sell houses in Waltham, please let us know, too .
Now we are in China and preparing to fly to Waltham early June.
Thank you very much !
Sincerely yours, Naiang Qiu

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-31-2015 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: do not disclose your email here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts