Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Location: Palm Springs, California relocating to Shrewsbury, MA
3 posts, read 32,541 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am relocating to Shrewsbury in late November. I was wondering what the average commute time would be to Cambridge in the afternoons/early evenings. I wouldn't be making the drive everyday...just 1-2 days a week. Is it going to be completely horrible?? Also, would taking the commuter line be logical at all or would it just be easier to drive? Thanks so much for any and all replies!

P.S. I'm moving from the Los Angeles area where traffic is a nightmare pretty much during anytime of the day...how does everyone feel the Boston traffic compares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Your commute shouldn't be bad at all, certainly not at those hours and not every day. Traffic jams up around Cambridge in general, but you should have a straight shot from Shrewsbury to Cambridge. I think it's about 45 miles? Anyway, you should be fine on the Mass Pike at normal highway speeds until you get off in Cambridge. Where in Cambridge are you going? I think you'd get off the Pike at Allston, which takes you right up past Harvard Stadium, or, if you're going to Kendall Square/E. Cambridge, right onto Western Ave and up that way.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:58 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerish View Post
Hello everyone,

I am relocating to Shrewsbury in late November. I was wondering what the average commute time would be to Cambridge in the afternoons/early evenings. I wouldn't be making the drive everyday...just 1-2 days a week. Is it going to be completely horrible?? Also, would taking the commuter line be logical at all or would it just be easier to drive? Thanks so much for any and all replies!

P.S. I'm moving from the Los Angeles area where traffic is a nightmare pretty much during anytime of the day...how does everyone feel the Boston traffic compares?
Are you buying a house in Shrewsbury? The commute will be tolerable if you leave super early in the morning. If it's only one day a week, you should be okay, but yes, the traffic can get heavy.

Greenie

Old 10-15-2007, 06:09 AM

142 posts, read 660,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerish View Post
Hello everyone,

I've I can only speak from my experiences in driving in LA on a few business and personal trips over the last year or so, but I think Boston is an improvement. Like LA, the roads are congested during rush hour, and usually during extended rush hour. But, unlike LA, they are usually pretty clear if you travel outside of rush hour, and on weekends. I was blown away to be traveling in bumper-to-bumper in I-405 on an early Sunday AM on my last trip. Also, you do have the option of public transportation in Boston, which many people do use to avoid traffic.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
It'll be around 1.5 hours in the heaviest rush hour times if you go by car. The reverse commute (i.e. Shrewsbury to Cambridge at 5pm) shouldn't be nearly as bad, but I'd still give it an hour since traffic can still be somewhat heavy on the Pike inside 128 heading into Boston during rush hour.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 AM

Location: Palm Springs, California relocating to Shrewsbury, MA
3 posts, read 32,541 times
Wow...thanks for all the replies! It's much appreciated! To answer a couple of quick questions...

Brightdoglover: Yep Allston sounds about right for where I'll be getting off. I'm sure the Cambridge area traffic gets pretty heavy during the afternoon so I'll probably give myself some extra time the first couple of weeks just to make sure =)

Greenie: No, I'm actually renting a condo in Shrewsbury...can't quite make house payments yet! Couple more years!

PJSCDN: Yeah LA is horrendous...and unfortunately it gets 10x worse year after year. When I was a kid you could always make it to downtown from the suburbs on the off rush hour times within like 30 minutes...now, no matter what day it is you have to give yourself hours for a 30 mile drive. My Dad commutes 45 minutes and it takes him 2 1/2 hours each way...it's ridiculous. So I'm looking forward to traffic that is at least bearable compared! What would you say the extended rush hour times are out that way? Out here it's typically from about 3-7:30. Also, I do have the option of public transit...my only hesitation is that I would have to leave Shrewsbury (on the commuter line) at about 3 to make it there by 7 since the latter time I would get in until 7:20 or so...which just is a little to late for me =(

Parsec: Thanks for info! I shouldn't be making the reverse commute too often...at least not during rush hour...so hopefully I'll be okay =)

Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
I agree about 1 hour.

Some of the key things are
Stay on the left lane on Rt9
Get on the Rt90 in Framingham instead of Rt495. (best before 4 or 4:30pm as the Rt495/90 entrance backs up...)
Get a fastlane pass
As you pass watertown... stay on the right side.. on Rt90
try to avoid memorial drive.. use storrow drive/local road instead.. then cross the river

Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
If the original poster is driving the Pike and getting off at the Allston/Cambridge exit, there's no need ton consider Memorial or Storrow Drive or anything. Of course, it depends on where in Cambridge he'll be going, but he can just shoot up to Central Square and continue over to Kendall or East Cambridge, where I'm guessing most of likely work is. Yes, coming in from the West around Fresh Pond and into Cambridge that way can be very jammed up, but getting off the Pike onto Cambridge and Harvard Streets just isn't very bad no matter when.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,182 times
This post makes me ask the question: I live in Shrewsbury and want to visit Boston but do not want to drive, any one knows of a train station where I can park my car for cheap rates or some other cheaper ways to be in Boston just for fun?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemac View Post
This post makes me ask the question: I live in Shrewsbury and want to visit Boston but do not want to drive, any one knows of a train station where I can park my car for cheap rates or some other cheaper ways to be in Boston just for fun?
There are commuter rail stations in Grafton and Westborough. Both have parking for about $4 a day.

MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts