Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM

85 posts, read 270,960 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would post this because I am so excited! The store should be in by the end of 2013. I have been disappointed by the vegetable selection here on the Cape in terms of variety, organic produce and appearance (freshness). I am hoping the local farmers will have their produce sold at the Whole Foods in Hyannis. The local farmers produce is difficult to find as it isn't routinely sold in Star or Stop n Shop. I am a vegan too, so it will make my life easier to find specialty foods as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:05 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,540,899 times
Since the store appeals to you I'm glad your getting one. If it helps the local farmers, then I am more than happy one of thier stores are coming. I've been in Whole Foods a few times but have only bought a few things. I would not be able to do very much shopping at Whole Foods. I'm in Arizona (Phoenix area) until summer time. I can't say I was surprised when I found out Scottsdale had one. I was surprised somewhat that Whole Foods felt the rest of the massive Phoenix Metro, wasn't classy enough for more stores. There are only 2 or 3 out here and all in what Whole Foods must feel are the most affluent areas. Yet they have skipped over locations, where they would have a client base. I'm not very impressed how Whole Foods chooses it locations, and what that says about them.

So again I'm glad Hyannis is getting a store but its safe to say New Bedford, Fall River, Attleboro and much of Rhode Island will never see one.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,787,578 times
The success of Whole Foods is for me one of the mysteries of life. There is one in my neighborhood that is always jammed with people and while some of them look rich the shoppers also include many who don't look it. It isn't the high prices that bother me as much as the produce isn't any better than in the traditional supermarkets. You have to go to those also because Whole Foods doesn't sell half the things on your shopping list so it is easy to compare. Their deli as well isn't as good as my normal supermarkets. I will concede they have extraordinary meat...... if you are willing to pay through the nose.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,364,440 times
Kellieanne, where is it going? I had heard rumors but no one could confirm. I love Whole Foods and concur on the quality of their produce. We also like their cheese selections, floral department and prepared salads and sides. Often their sale prices are better than the conventional supermarkets. Some items are just worth the extra cost. I have yet to find a parmigiano reggiano as good as what they sell at Whole Foods.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,364,440 times
Kellieann- Crow Farm over in Sandwich sells local produce. You might also want to check Fancy's in Osterville, Ring Bros. or Dennis Public Market in Dennis or Barnstsble Market. We frequent our local farmers' market in summer. I think the one in Hyannis was actually opened later into the evening and there were always organic farmers present.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM

85 posts, read 270,960 times
The store is going into the old Borders location in Hyannis on 132.
Thank you Beachcomber for the info

Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,048,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The success of Whole Foods is for me one of the mysteries of life. There is one in my neighborhood that is always jammed with people and while some of them look rich the shoppers also include many who don't look it. It isn't the high prices that bother me as much as the produce isn't any better than in the traditional supermarkets. You have to go to those also because Whole Foods doesn't sell half the things on your shopping list so it is easy to compare. Their deli as well isn't as good as my normal supermarkets. I will concede they have extraordinary meat...... if you are willing to pay through the nose.
I'm not a regular at Wholefoods, but one thing I've observed is that not everything is more expensive at Wholefoods vs conventional supermarkets. Many items are the same price (especially the Wholefoods store brand stuff) or when on sale the prices are sometimes better at Wholefoods. I also find that Wholefoods' meats and produce are far superior to what I find at my local market. Fruits and vegetables I buy at Wholefoods look better, taste better, and seems to last longer in my refrigerator as well. The steaks are just unbelievable at Wholefoods and the Bell & Evans air chilled chicken is fantastic as well.

It's no surprise to me why Wholefoods is so successful. Their real strength though lies in their prepared foods. When I'm in the store I see as many if not more people walking out with prepared food than groceries. People drop in for lunch or dinner at Wholefoods too. It's not just a place people go for groceries. They pop in for a coffee, dessert, or even breakfast too.

I'm not sure I would ever be a regular at Wholefoods though. I like my Frosted Flakes and diet soda too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
The store is going into the old Borders location in Hyannis on 132.
Thank you Beachcomber for the info
I have a friend who made an offer on a house in Hyannis this week. I'll have to let them know about this. They're kind of "foodies" and would want to know.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,787,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm not a regular at Wholefoods, but one thing I've observed is that not everything is more expensive at Wholefoods vs conventional supermarkets. Many items are the same price (especially the Wholefoods store brand stuff) or when on sale the prices are sometimes better at Wholefoods. I also find that Wholefoods' meats and produce are far superior to what I find at my local market. Fruits and vegetables I buy at Wholefoods look better, taste better, and seems to last longer in my refrigerator as well. The steaks are just unbelievable at Wholefoods and the Bell & Evans air chilled chicken is fantastic as well.
I do agree about the meat. I also noticed that milk there is reasonable. The few things I have tried of their brands didn't taste so good. As for produce, maybe the supermarkets where I live are just better than average since WF is no better.
Quote:
It's no surprise to me why Wholefoods is so successful. Their real strength though lies in their prepared foods. When I'm in the store I see as many if not more people walking out with prepared food than groceries. People drop in for lunch or dinner at Wholefoods too. It's not just a place people go for groceries. They pop in for a coffee, dessert, or even breakfast too.
Yes I see them but what they are buying is no better if as good as in my local supermarkets and they are paying way too much for it.
Quote:
I'm not sure I would ever be a regular at Wholefoods though. I like my Frosted Flakes and diet soda too much!

I have a friend who made an offer on a house in Hyannis this week. I'll have to let them know about this. They're kind of "foodies" and would want to know.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,058,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Since the store appeals to you I'm glad your getting one. If it helps the local farmers, then I am more than happy one of thier stores are coming. I've been in Whole Foods a few times but have only bought a few things. I would not be able to do very much shopping at Whole Foods. I'm in Arizona (Phoenix area) until summer time. I can't say I was surprised when I found out Scottsdale had one. I was surprised somewhat that Whole Foods felt the rest of the massive Phoenix Metro, wasn't classy enough for more stores. There are only 2 or 3 out here and all in what Whole Foods must feel are the most affluent areas. Yet they have skipped over locations, where they would have a client base. I'm not very impressed how Whole Foods chooses it locations, and what that says about them.

So again I'm glad Hyannis is getting a store but its safe to say New Bedford, Fall River, Attleboro and much of Rhode Island will never see one.
Rhode Island has 3; 2 in Providence and one in Cranston. A 4th is planned in the Narragansett/South Kingston area.

Last edited by mr2448; 11-27-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,048,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I do agree about the meat. I also noticed that milk there is reasonable. The few things I have tried of their brands didn't taste so good. As for produce, maybe the supermarkets where I live are just better than average since WF is no better.
Yes I see them but what they are buying is no better if as good as in my local supermarkets and they are paying way too much for it.
You must have some pretty good stores in your area. Do you live near Wegmans? I wouldn't feed the prepared food from my local market to a dog. It's pretty bad and driving to the next town over to get food from Wholefoods is definitely a plus for me when I want to take advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts