Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,676 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move out of Boston in the next couple of years and settle in a suburb. I am originally from the South and grew up in a small town...and I loved it for the most part. I've lived here for a few years but am just learning about the towns surrounding Boston and where we might be happiest living. Here's what we're looking for:
- My husband would likely commute to Boston every day (preferably via commuter rail) and I would either work from home or close to home
- We'd like to buy a modest home (don't need a mansion) and renovate...our max budget will likely be in the mid 500,000s. A decent back yard is really important to my husband.
- Most important...I'd like a small town with a family-oriented vibe. I'd like to know my neighbors, walk to town, and be able to invest in the community. I love quaint New England villages with cute town centers...just like everyone else.
- Quality schools are important...although having grown up in Georgia, I feel that my kids (we have one on the way) will be lucky to be educated here. A smaller school system is important to me.
- I'd like to be able to drive to shopping fairly quickly (20 minutes or so). While I don't need a wealth of shopping/restaurants in the actual town that I live in, I don't want to feel isolated either.

Based on what we're looking for, I'm feeling like the North Shore might be the best bet for us. We'd like to stay north of the city in order to be close to family. I really like Hamilton/Wenham...but am curious about the vibe there. Are people friendly and welcoming? I also really like Manchester (from driving through and what I've read about the schools) but don't really know too much about the community...and also don't think we could afford to live there. Same goes for Marblehead. I LOVE Newburyport and Rockport but feel like they may be a tad bit too far out for us.

Am I missing any towns that I should be looking at? I'd love to hear from anyone who lives in Hamilton/Wenham/Manchester/Marblehead and is raising young children. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Manchester By The Sea for sure is a great community oriented town. Real Estate is expensive but I would think you'd find something in the 500s. Schools are great. Calla's Restaurant is a community hang out. Concerts in the park. Singing Beach. Commuter rail to Boston is right there.
If I were to move to the Boston area Manchester would be my choice.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,661 times
Swampscott is more affordable than Marblehead. It is closer to shopping and Boston, is small and has a train station unlike Marblehead.

Beverly Farms is a well kept secret of the North Shore. It is easy to confuse with Manchester By The Sea, when driving through scenic route 127 along the coast. It is a village within Beverly with it's own downtown, a post office, a library branch, a train station, and a private resident-only West beach. Beverly Hills was named after Beverly Farms. They have their own events separate from Beverly - Memorial day parade, Halloween trick-or-treat, 4th of July fireworks, sandcastle festival etc.

Beverly is also more affordable then other towns you found, but it's a bigger school system. On the other hand that allows them to offer the most sports options on the North Shore - 29. It's new HS was built in 2011 and all the kids get Apple laptops. Freshmen get their own floor for an easier transition. All the elementary schools have new facilities, and a new middle school is in the works. Graduation rate is 90% and MCAS is 90/82% and is improving. Beverly has the most local shopping and restaurants, it's even having a restaurant week in October. Target and North Shore mall are nearby in Danvers and Peabody. There are 5 beaches, 30 parks and 4 waterfront playgrounds, trails and a farm with CSA shares. We also have a Rollerpalace, a movie theater and the North Shore Music Theater.

Locals call Beverly a city with a small town feel.

Last edited by konfetka; 09-03-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Might want to look at Georgetown and Ipswich as well.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 14,676 times
Thanks so much for the suggestion on Swampscott! I hadn't considered it but it might be exactly what we're looking for. The small lot sizes might be a tough sell for my husband (not so much of an issue for me) but I'm seeing a lot of really great houses in our price range. Konfekta, I've read some of your other posts on Beverly and it really sells me. I love the location, ease of public transportation, and of course the houses that are available there. I think I just get hung up on the size. I may need to adjust my expectations a bit and add Beverly to the list. Thanks so much for the information.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Beverly is big - 20 sq miles and 40 th. people, but it's broken down into many distinct neighborhoods with very different vibes and character. It reflects the history of the town and how it was developed over the years. Beverly Farms and Prides Crossing are rural and old money, where you can't see the houses behind the trees and fences. Cove is quiet, historic and upscale. Centerville is woodsy and suburban. North Beverly is commercial and middle class. Ryal side is denser and working class. Downtown is commercial and urban.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM

69 posts, read 239,909 times
i would personally choose Marblehead if you wanted to be near the water. I think I has the nicest downtown/harbor and the taxes are lower than Swampscott. If living on the water is not a requirement you might want to look at Lynnfield.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,185 times
I vote Salem:

The MBTA is beginning work on a $37 million dollar train terminal in Salem, making it a major commuting hub to Boston. The garage will host approximately 719+ vehicles, sheltered platforms for commuters, "walk-on" level for boarding the train (no need to climb up or down stairs to board)

Thats not the only huge public works projects impacting Salem, the Peabody Essex Musuem will also be undergoing a massive multi-million dollar renovation that will add a rooftop restaurant, additional facilities for guests including additional gallery space, and improvements to existing structures.

Finally, the Salem Harbor Power station will be closed and the site remediated by 2014. A gas power plant will occupy a smaller footprint from the existing plant, and the hope is that further commercial development may take place along the open waterfront.

All in all, Salem is moving in a fantastic direction, with all the great restaurant choices, tourism, nightlife, and shopping choices, I can see why so many people are making Salem their new home.

Cheers!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 PM

I think Salem is a great up-and-coming city with much potential. Salem was on my list until I looked into schools, and is part of the reason why I chose Beverly to have easy access to Salem. I guess the only area still lacking right now is the school system, which was on the brink of receivership, olny second to Lawrence and is trying to revamp itself with some desperate measures. If this is rock bottom and they can show improvement year to year remains to be seen, until then many middle class families will be reluctant to move there, and will prefer nearby towns. School choice is an option, if you don't mind the hassle of going back and forth to a neighboring town. I think Salem's rental market is a different story from the house market, because of students, young proffesionals and retirees flocking there, and families moving out.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 AM

This story "My first 30 days in Marblehead" is a great perspective on living in a New England coastal town.

My First 30 Days in Marblehead - Marblehead, MA Patch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts