Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM

8 posts, read 28,499 times

Advertisements

After having abandoned our plans to move last year, it seems we may reingnite it again. Back to looking at the South Shore. DH really wants to be there. Our budget is $600 and under. We are an inter-racial couple (I'm Asian and he's Caucasian) with school age kids. I understand from published demographics that there are very few Asians in these towns. I'd prefer more diversity but that seems hard to come by on the South Shore. This came up when DH spoke to a Cohasset realtor, something I hadn't considered. I am concerned that my kids might run into other kids (and parents) at school and around town who aren't tolerant of their differences.

I prefer Norwell out of the three. I get the impression it's the most diverse of the three. DH prefers Cohasset.

Am I worried for nothing? Does anyone have any experience or hearsay via their kids you can share, even by PM?

I appreciate your candor on this sensitive issue.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

52 posts, read 180,097 times
I am in the same boat and curious about the same issue. I love Scituate, but this is one of the items that is making me move closer to Boston. Would love to hear opinions also. I am currently living in an area that lacks diversity, and there is no problems on acceptance, but because of the lack of diversity, there is a curiousness among the other children in the area not necessarily the adults. Its not always comfortable. I dont want to move to another area like this one so if anyone has insight that would be great!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,364,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly2004 View Post

Am I worried for nothing? Does anyone have any experience or hearsay via their kids you can share, even by PM?

I appreciate your candor on this sensitive issue.

Many thanks
First of all the communities you are considering are homes to families who are most often well traveled and who spend time in the city at family venues where there is great diversity. While your family might not fit the 'norm" in those towns you won't be viewed as all that unusual.

If you ask a teen or tween, they will tell you, you are worried about nothing. I'm painting with a broad brush and speaking about the attitudes I've seen and heard in predominantly white communities.

If you turn on the television, non traditional families are everywhere from Sesame Street to tween favorite- the Disney Channel to prime time tv. Heck, the most popular teen movies feature relationships between vampires, werewolves and humans. Kids today (in Massachusetts anyway) don't seem to have the same ideas about race and relationships that past generations did. Think about it, we have gone from 40 years ago where inter-faith marriages were taboo to 25 years ago when inter-race relationships were a hot button issue to today when the news of the day is Chik-Fil-A commenting on same sex marriage.

In my experience teens, are tired of the labels and tired of the ever changing way they are supposed to refer to different races and ethnic groups. They make fun of the stereotypes assigned to different races and ethnicity by talking and joking about them with their friends (who are of these different races and ethnicity). It's very politically incorrect, which makes the adults uncomfortable, but according to them, the political correctness is even more uncomfortable.

Your kids are going to have whatever reaction they have learned to have. If others are curious, and they have been predisposed to think that curiosity is rude, they will feel people are being rude to them. If you feel that way, you are probably better off in a more diverse community. I think your choice is more about how you feel than the sensitivities of the kids in those communities. If you aren't comfortable, no one will be.

Good luck with your move.
Good luck with your search.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM

52 posts, read 180,097 times
It is true, the energy and confidence you put forth towards your children will allow them to be confident and strong in certain situations. However, there is a difference between curiosity and rudeness, and children are vulnerable. With that said though, I agree you have to move where you feel comfortable, because if you do not feel comfortable, then more than likely your children will feel that. I believe the world is totally changing and acceptance is growing, and it is also our job to help encourage that, but people are people. I think you could run into that anywhere, just maybe not in the extremes. Inevitably, in my situation, you feel out the place first as much as possible and ask yourself if you could live there. That is what we are going to do.
I have been searching for a while now and always reading various posts regarding the south shore, and it is helpful. I hope you get some insight to help you make your choice.
Thank you Beachcomber for your response, I think it is beneficial to remember the tweens are thinking in a whole different way.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 AM

8 posts, read 28,499 times
Thank you to those who've shared perspectives. Beachcomber, the "well-traveled" and well-exposed population is part of what I was seeking when looking at these town. Where I live now, there is definitely a mix of those who fit that category and those at the opposite end of the spectrum. And it's from the latter group that I personally have experience slurs and pejoratives. I've never felt uncomfortable in any of those towns when I've visited, always feeling welcomed. I am hoping for the same for my family. It's tough enough to start a new school. To start a new school with extra baggage is just a recipe for disaster.

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts