Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,112 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I am looking for some valuable input as it has been quite some years since I have lived in MA. I am moving back next month for a job and unfortunately have no idea where to look for a home.my family and I will be staying with family while we look and so I am tryin to narrow down the area of search.
We have a very modest income so we are looking at a starter home 3 or 4 bed for around 250K. Yes I know that's not alot looking at trying to go after a foreclosure or short sale
We have very modest expectations and really only require a few things out of the area. Good school and safe area. If the house is 3 beds and 1300 sq ft so be it, as long as those criteria are met as we have a 2 year old.
I am working in Boston so a town with decent access to T is good. We have been looking at the following towns-north,west,and southborough, natick, grafton, Ashland. Dedham was intriguing, but if anyone could kind of steer us in a decent direction it would really really help.
Thank you very very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
Welcome, you'll get more for your money in general in Northborough & Grafton, though the commute by train is rather long from Grafton and there's no train in Northborough (though if you're close enough to Westborough you could pick up the train there). They're lovely areas though & definitely worth a look if you don't mind the long commute. Where is your office going to be in Boston? That would also make a difference re: what towns people recommend.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,112 times
Thanks for the response.
I would be working near downtown crossing/south station.
I personally don't mind an hour each way as I want to give myself the opportunity for a nice starter home in a GREAT area. But obviously within 45 minutes each way is preferable.
Should I also be including holliston or hopkington in my search ?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
Absolutely, I was going to suggest that. There are neighborhoods in Hopkinton not far from town where you could get what you're looking for & you'd just be a short drive to either the Ashland/Hopkinton or Southboro/Hopkinton town line where you'll find train service to South Station.

From Holliston it can be a little trickier getting to the train depending where you are in town. In some places you can zip up Rt 126 & get to the Framingham train but downtown Framingham gets very congested at many times of the day.

Just a word of caution though: Property taxes in Holliston & Hopkinton are on the high side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts