Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,173 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into towns that I may want to buy a home in. I've bounced around the south shore after growing up in Marshfield, renting in Quincy, and currently Avon (for saving purposes). I'm mid 20's, caucasian, and work in Boston. I'm wondering if Sharon is a good fit?

I realize Sharon is an affluent area, and that the taxes are higher than average, but I also know it's all about location, location, location. Plus I've been a good little saver and have a good occupation - I wouldn't be "seriously" looking for a year or two, but I already know towns where I don't want to live. I'm hoping to also take advatage of the lowest real estate prices in the past decade. My current research shows homes in the area of 250k - 2mil with a current average of 400k.

What I like about the little bit I know about Sharon: Commitment to conservation and wildlife, very low crime rate, great school system, affluence, large lots of land, and actually I like the fact that the town is predominantly Jewish... I don't want to live as a "closet atheist" and I figure, who better to be understanding than a group that has been persecuted for their beliefs for way too long. I just want to be me and I've been persecuted before.

I think I'd like to buy a plot of land and build my old house. Are there many areas for self developement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Don't know about land, but this uncloseted atheist feels comfortable just about anywhere around the area! I mean, New England is pretty secular, right?
I believe there are so-called messianic Jews in a congregation in Sharon (in addition to the regular population) and boy, they will not leave you alone.
Come out of the closet! It's pretty easy in New England!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:38 PM

744 posts, read 811,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Don't know about land, but this uncloseted atheist feels comfortable just about anywhere around the area! I mean, New England is pretty secular, right?
I believe there are so-called messianic Jews in a congregation in Sharon (in addition to the regular population) and boy, they will not leave you alone.
Come out of the closet! It's pretty easy in New England!
Agreed,I've never experienced any area of New England where being atheist results in any negativity being directed toward said individual, ever.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Well, I've got several co-workers and one elderly aunt praying away for me. I appreciate that they mean well, but as I told them, "We all will be good company afterward, and we have the best music."
Still, it's a shame for nice people to worry about something that I think is delusional. There are certainly other things I worry about or care about that I could use some energy for.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM

15 posts, read 56,769 times
I don't think you can miss with Sharon for all of the reasons that you stated. The one draw back I would say the town has is that it's residents have a bit of a superiority complex. I mean when you drive into the town there is a giant sign that says it is a "better" place to live because it is naturally beautiful. Better than what? Keep in mind the sign that (I believe) was originally posted in the 1950s said "a nice place to live because it is naturally beautiful". The fact that the sign has been changed to "better" is a symptom of the way the town has changed in the past 20 years. There is a bit of an "I live in Sharon and I have arrived" thing that goes on with people who have recently moved there. It is very beautiful and has top notch schools but IMHO it is a bit lacking in the "down to earth" factor. It known also as an "Indian Town". This is not a negative at all...but just a fact I included because you may not be aware. But if you want beauty, and a place where a house will hold its value (and you don't mind paying high taxes) Sharon is a great choice. And, there are some plots of land available around town, but they are getting snapped up pretty fast. There is also a trend toward tearing down smaller ranches and capes and rebuilding on "vacated" lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts