Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 30,476 times

Advertisements

Hello-

In pondering possibilities of affordability of homes, when my husband will be working in Lexington, I am wondering if you can give me your opinions of Billerica and Framingham?

Beyond wanting to know about the general feel of the towns, I am wondering about the schools. I know that on Greatschools.org they rate quite a bit lower than several of the surrounding communities schools. Is there really that big of a difference?

Also, will the fact that the school ratings are so much lower make it harder for us to resell our home in the future?

Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM

And Maynard and Stow, too, if you have thoughts on those towns. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
People more familiar with Billerica have posted detailed info on here so I'll leave it at that, but I don't see the appeal of Framingham when you have options more convenient to Lexington with superior amenities.

I like Stow and I believe it's actually a good option for you. There are orchards, some low key history, and rolling landscapes. It's down to earth and relatively affordable. The main issue is that you often have to travel small, winding country roads if you want to get access to major roads that lead out of town. So just getting to 111 or 117 can be a bear. Still, once you get on one of these major roads, you're only a half hour or so from Lexington. Your husband could totally avoid Route 2 by taking Route 62 through Concord Center to Lexington Rd. You also have good access to I-495 and neighboring centers such as Maynard, Concord, and Acton. Route 117 is a pretty drive to Waltham with only several lights. From what I understand, Stow schools are pretty good.

If you want more "action" in a relative sense, Boxborough is a good option as well. Your husband could avoid Route 2 by taking Central St, School St., and Laws Brook Rd to Route 62. West Acton could work as well for the same reason but I would avoid most of Acton because Route 2 would almost certainly be in the cards (and it sounds like it's more than you want to spend).

Finally, before you hit the region around Chelmsford and Billerica, you have the areas convenient to 225 (Westford and Carlisle). Carlisle is fairly expensive but I know there are good deals to be had in Westford in this market. You could realistically make it from Westford to Lexington in half an hour. The southern terminus of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail is currently at 225 and 27 and goes north to Lowell. It will get extended south to the Sudbury border of Concord soon, and if everything goes well, all the way to Framingham. Westford and Stow are different enough I think you'll immediately know which one is to your liking once your drive around both a bit. Boxborough is kind of in between the two in feel.

Last edited by Cato the Elder; 02-25-2012 at 12:48 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 AM

I guess the appeal of Framingham is it seems quite a bit less expensive than Carlisle or Westford.
But like you say, we really will just need to get out there and drive around to see what we like, I guess.
Thanks for all the info! And if anyone else has more thoughts, please keep them coming.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
I'm thinking there are a few communities that are affordable but might be an easier commute than Framingham --> Lexington. For example, North Reading may be worth a look. Re: Framingham, it's a real mixed back - areas that are very nice & beautiful & wooded, and areas that are not very desirable. It's the largest town in the state and feels more like a city in parts. Have you had a chance to drive around? If you'd like to share your rough budget I'd be glad to recommend neighborhoods to check out.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeoferp View Post
I guess the appeal of Framingham is it seems quite a bit less expensive than Carlisle or Westford.
But like you say, we really will just need to get out there and drive around to see what we like, I guess.
Thanks for all the info! And if anyone else has more thoughts, please keep them coming.
If you're thinking about Framingham I would put Maynard and north Waltham on the list for their ease of commute to Lexington. Residents have vociferously defended both towns' schools on here.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 44,348 times
Waltham is considerably more expensive than Framingham. OP didn't mention her budget, but I looked for condos in Waltham this past summer and was unable to find anything acceptable for 300k.

After being unable to find what we were looking for close to the city we ended up moving to Framingham. I grew up in a neighboring $$ suburb and always looked down on Framingham, but I haven't regretted my decision once. We have more space than we could ever afford elsewhere, live in a nice neighborhood, have good neighbors, and we are close to everything.

We don't have kids, but plan to. The kids in my neighborhood all seem well adjusted and when I was in college I babysat a couple families in the town. They all seemed literate Keep in mind that there is school choice so you can request whatever school you want. I'm not sure what the criteria is for assignment, but supposedly most parents get one of their top 3 choices. I think there are 7-9 elementary schools (?), and 3 would be ones to avoid.

Drive around see what you think, but don't just look on Rt 9 and downtown (admittedly downtown is a pit). Framingham Center is nice, Salem End Rd, Nobscot, Saxonville, etc. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
I currently rent an apartment in Billerica and it is a decent place. It is a quick commute to Lexington (where I work as well - 15-20 minutes). However, for amenities, you won't find much in town. Shopping (minus groceries) is all done in Burlington or Nashua. Most of the restaurants are 'fast food' type with a few decent sitdown places. Otherwise, you will be venturing to other towns and cities for restaurants and music/bars.

The school system in Billerica is also not the greatest, so if you are considering having children, I would keep that in mind.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 11,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
If you want more "action" in a relative sense, Boxborough is a good option as well. Your husband could avoid Route 2 by taking Central St, School St., and Laws Brook Rd to Route 62. West Acton could work as well for the same reason but I would avoid most of Acton because Route 2 would almost certainly be in the cards (and it sounds like it's more than you want to spend).

Finally, before you hit the region around Chelmsford and Billerica, you have the areas convenient to 225 (Westford and Carlisle). Carlisle is fairly expensive but I know there are good deals to be had in Westford in this market. You could realistically make it from Westford to Lexington in half an hour. The southern terminus of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail is currently at 225 and 27 and goes north to Lowell. It will get extended south to the Sudbury border of Concord soon, and if everything goes well, all the way to Framingham. Westford and Stow are different enough I think you'll immediately know which one is to your liking once your drive around both a bit. Boxborough is kind of in between the two in feel.

Boxborough would not provide more "action" than Stow, half the population and no in-town business. Also, Central Street is IN West Acton (I live here), so that route would be possible from here, however staying on 62 through Concord center would make up a convoluted route of more mileage and comparable traffic to rt. 2 on the back roads. Getting on 2 from 62 after West Concord would bypass the rotary, but traffic in West Concord during rush hour equates with the rotary itself. If the OP is working in Lexington and looking for houses in the Framingham/Billerica market, Carlisle, Boxborough, Acton, Westford and Stow (for the most part) are not feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich14 View Post
Waltham is considerably more expensive than Framingham. OP didn't mention her budget, but I looked for condos in Waltham this past summer and was unable to find anything acceptable for 300k.
Not true, Waltham's median housing price barely eclipses 300k. Downtown Waltham is denser and poorer than downtown Framingham. Framingham is a big, expansive suburb with a small urban core. Waltham is a small, yet bustling city with suburban fringes on the North side. Framingham/Waltham have nicer burb neighborhoods than Billerica, however Billerica has no urban center. Billerica is a sprawling, blue collar suburb with a pretty homogenized housing stock with less socioeconomic stratification than Framingham/Waltham.

My suggestions:
1) Arlington - Most "urban", however as true a suburb as can be in the sense of the definition. Right on the outskirts of Boston's dense metro area, tight knit single-family home neighborhoods. Used to be working class, now a refuge for educated, frugal families priced out of Cambridge. Great schools. Backwards commute to Lexington.
2) South/South East Chelmsford - Exurban area, good mix of education levels/blue vs white collar/income levels. Some woodsy areas, some suburban neighborhoods. Good to great schools.
3) River Pines/Billerica Center - Large suburban neighborhoods, easy shopping and access to amenities. Decent to good schools, reasonable housing prices. Relatively dense, large suburb.
4) North Waltham.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Littleton! Littleton! Why have you all forgotten Littleton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts