Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,706 times

Advertisements

Have been trying to relocate to MA or CT, but still deciding on an area to settle. Can I get feedback on employment for non-certified educators-support/classied employees in the education/school systems. Currently work in Elementary school special needs day class. How is it in finding fulltime work in MA as well? CA like many areas have been hit hard in Education fields. Also, need to find a safe, affordable area, with public transportaion and walking accessibility to modern conveniences (shopping, farm markets, entertainment, work, post ofc, etc.). Trying to find smaller town or city with main street shopping, good community activities. Needs to have rooms to rent in area or really affordable apts. Have been looking into Five College area of western MA, and in CT;Windor, Milford, and New Haven. Also, considering area with several social service/community programs for employment. If anyone has any suggestions or more info. on these please let me know. It is appreciated. One last item, does it sunshine in western MA or CT, during the winter, even with snow and cold? I can take cold and snow, but dreary, gray, overcast winters for months, w/o sunshine is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM

254 posts, read 522,118 times
Western MA seems to be what you would like, New Haven not so much.

In my opinion Western MA and Northern CT are the nicest areas out this way.

Sorry not sure about some of your other questions

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
No idea about edu jobs. We get lots sunshine in the winter. Not always gray and depressing. Funny I wondered the same before moving to MA from the South.

BUT, what's depressing is the early sunset. It's better now, but back in Nov/Dec, it gets dark by 4 pm. I hardly saw the sun at all.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM

208 posts, read 318,268 times
Affordable and MA/CT are really not combined in the same vocaulary. A dump will cost you $800+/month in Western MA and utility costs here are much higher than CA, and Boston/CT tend to be higher. If you are looking for easy accessibility... for a more rural area Western MA has a fairly decent transportation, but nothing compared to say Boston. I moved from suburban Philadelphia to western MA 8 yrs ago and there are pros and cons, but it's a decent place to live. I have friends that are in teaching and it's a bit rough for a newcomer. If you are willing to put in your dues in a Springfield or Holyoke, you may eventually be able to break out into one of the nicer school systems, but the pay here isn't the greatest compared to other areas. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 AM

40 posts, read 241,752 times
Sorry, I have to chime in here about the whole "western MA" thing. I've lived in/around Springfield AND Holyoke, and they're both really depressing. I wouldn't suggest living in either place to anyone, ever. Compton, near LA, has safer neighborhoods.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
If you are looking for cute safe walkable old downtowns, where you can walk for most of your needs, on the North Shore I would suggest Salem, Beverly, Melrose, Marblehead, Newburyport, Ipswich and Gloucester.

North Shore is a nice desirable area north of Boston. All of these towns have old New England style downtowns, built before the automobile, so they are self-contained and walkable. All of them would have apartments available for rent nearby and train stations (except Marblehead).

The biggest and ones with most amenities would be Gloucester and Salem. Marblehead and Melrose are smaller, with great schools, and a good community feel. Marblehead, Beverly, Ipswich, Newburyport and Gloucester are also coastal towns with beaches. Gloucester and Salem have more diverse, least rated school systems, cheaper housing and might be eaiser to get into for a teaching job.

Beverly is kind of in the middle, with schools not as highly rated as Marblehead, but good nevertheless, with housing not as overpriced as Melrose and Marblehead, a solid middle class kind of town, with pockets of old-money Gilded Age neighborhoods.

Of these towns Melrose is closest to Boston and more desirable for that reason, and relatively expensive. And Newburyport and Gloucester are the furthest - about an hour drive.

Ipswich and Gloucester are famous for their seafood restaurants and beaches. Gloucester has a thriving fishing industry and lots of whale watch cruises.

Towns with the most character and most likely to be visited by tourists: Salem, Gloucester, Newburyport.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Wondering why this person has narrowed it down to only CT or Western MA? I like the idea of the North Shore of MA. A bonus there is that you are near the ocean.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM

208 posts, read 318,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post
Sorry, I have to chime in here about the whole "western MA" thing. I've lived in/around Springfield AND Holyoke, and they're both really depressing. I wouldn't suggest living in either place to anyone, ever. Compton, near LA, has safer neighborhoods.
I would agree that Springfield and most of Holyoke are downright gross. We live in a farmtown north of Northampton, which is a completely different "western MA" than areas south of Northampton. Unfortunately, to get a teaching job in say a Hatfield, Hadley, or South Hadley - you usually have to take the crap jobs first unless you know someone. Originally being from Philadelphia and having visited areas of Boston, I would agree with other postings that eastern MA should definitely be a consideration. The majority of Boston is much cleaner than Philly ever was and there is so much close by, plus their transportation system is great.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,642 times
Central MA always has spEd support jobs available in both public and private schools. Experienced aides are always in demand. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,706 times
Thank you all for the input. I will be moving in June. I will most likely be focusing on the Northampton area in Western MA. I will be starting over, so can't afford too much. This area seems to offer more roommates situations, if I can't get an apt and job oppt., accessible public transit. Though I can't afford to move back to Arlington, MA, where I had enjoyed living before CA, I will at least be in MA.

Last edited by skiaz; 04-29-2012 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Didn't finish sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts