Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,616,689 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a plan, best wishes on your move. Keep us posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,714 times
Thanks again everyone for your input. I did move back east in June 2012 and am currently in Central PA, until I move North. Traveling up this Monday to check out area around Springfield and Northampton. I sold my car car before move so I will be relying on public transit when I move here. Still applying for jobs in education and social service work. Finding many of the apartment complexes in this area don,t have avl. apts. often or waiting list. Any suggestions? I can only afford about $700-$750 with utilities right now. Even looking as far as Ware and Southwick, MA but not sure if as commutable transit wise, this far out. Guess I will find out when I visit next week. Hoping to get work and apt. before Mid August, before schools start back for fall.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 PM

25 posts, read 129,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post
Sorry, I have to chime in here about the whole "western MA" thing. I've lived in/around Springfield AND Holyoke, and they're both really depressing. I wouldn't suggest living in either place to anyone, ever. Compton, near LA, has safer neighborhoods.
I am curious to know why you say Springfield and Holyoke is depressing. I will be attending grad school in Springfield and need to find a place to live within the next few weeks. I have heard that Springfield is not the ideal place to live, so what nearby areas would you recommend I look at?

I would like a city with lots of shopping (retail chain stores), restaurants, and entertainment nearby since I am in my 20s. I do not mind a short commute and have lived in a college town for the past 5 years and looking for something similar (I have researched Northampton but it may be too far due to a possible job in Hartford CT, so other suggestions will be helpful). I would like to stay somewhere as similar to what I am used to (being more modern with retail chains and shopping malls, as opposed to a country town with limited things). Thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM

7,959 posts, read 7,935,079 times
If you are looking for jobs in education I would highly recommend using schoolspring.com

It takes a tad of time to have transcripts sent over but once they are confirmed it helps your chances.
I'd also advise you to get some letters of recommendation. The process is a tad odd though. You get the letters of recommendation and type them in. A confirmation note is sent to who wrote it and they confirm (and can edit) what is said in the recommendation letter. Once it is confirmed it is locked.

Teaching varies here a bit because schools can have different standards. Some might just want a bachelors, others might just want the state test (mtel's for Mass). You have to pass a basic reading/writing and then the subject one. For sped I think there is more. Early ed tends to have quite a bit as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM

26,681 posts, read 29,014,737 times
There are hardly any jobs around Northampton because everyone wants to live there. Mostly you need to have a trust fund helping you out. There's a surplus of overly educated people due to the proximity of five colleges, including the University of Mass. The graduates often want to stay in the area thinking they can find a job.

Holyoke, believe the people who tell you to avoid it. Don't even go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts