Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 86,519 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just moved from the midwest to Cambridge for graduate school. I hastily took an apartment with a roommate and am now regretting my decision, having lived alone for the last 12 years and for much less rent. I'm looking for a one bedroom for no more than $1100 per month. I'm willing to commute by public transit but also have a vehicle I need to park (for free if possible). I'd also like to be in a neighborhood with some racial and ethnic diversity. I've done some research on Lynn, Dorchester, Roxbury and Mission Hill so far but haven't actually visited any of these places yet. So far, Lynn is sounding ideal from my research. Any thoughts on which may be the best bet? Any other places that I should look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Lynn would be a nightmare commute. Dorchester, Roxbury and Mission Hill have some nice areas, but tend to be less safe, overall. Your best bet--out that way--would be Roslindale or Jamaica Plain. Central Square in Cambridge is very racially and ethnically diverse, although more expensive than Roslindale and Jamaica Plain, and parking might be a problem. I live in Arlington, which has some racial and ethnic diversity--especially in East Arlington, off Mass Ave.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM

Forgot to add: Cambridge is a very diverse town, ethnically and racially, so i'm not really sure what's missing for you there, or if the towns I recommended can add to what Cambridge already offers (other than lower rents--lol).

Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 50,471 times
I live in Mission Hill and it's fantastic. I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city. A really good mix of people (families, young couples, singles, old, young, black, white, asian, hispanic, poor and well to do with lots of in between). Super convienent. You'll find a place of that size for that price if you look.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Hey Movingfoward, Good to know you live in Arlington since that is on our list of possibilites. Where in Arlington would you say is good for kids(teen) not noisey, fairly close to Crazy Karrys and other restaurants? We really don't know the back streets very well but do know Mass. Ave. Question realtors motives when they say Summer St. is quiet. Any suggestions? How is Arlington Heights? Keep in mind we will be renting for awhile and need a 2bd that takes, gulp, two dogs. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Hi puffle! We live in Arlington Heights: GREAT area of Arlington. East Arlington is also nice. I'm not familiar with Crazy Karry's, but most Arlington restaurants are located in Arlington Center, right off Mass. Ave. Plus, the #77 bus runs every 10 minutes or so and you can get into Cambridge (Porter Square, Harvard Square, Central Square) in 15 minutes or so.

This is pretty typical for Arlington (no broker, owner only):

Charming East Arlington Condo (1st Floor Two Family) (broken link)

Near Arlington Center:

Arlington 1.5 bed & 1.5 baths / NO FEE! / Cambridge border (broken link)

This one is in our neighborhood:

UTILITIES INCLUDED, updated kitchen, hdwood floors (broken link)

Another nice area:

RENOVATED 3 BR APARTMENT IN TOWNHOUSE FOR RENT 9/17 (broken link)

Another really nice town (on the North Shore) is Beverly. We almost bought a house there:

Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets

Old 09-01-2007, 10:52 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Hi puffle! We live in Arlington Heights: GREAT area of Arlington. East Arlington is also nice. I'm not familiar with Crazy Karry's, but most Arlington restaurants are located in Arlington Center, right off Mass. Ave. Plus, the #77 bus runs every 10 minutes or so and you can get into Cambridge (Porter Square, Harvard Square, Central Square) in 15 minutes or so.

This is pretty typical for Arlington (no broker, owner only):

Charming East Arlington Condo (1st Floor Two Family) (broken link)

Near Arlington Center:

Arlington 1.5 bed & 1.5 baths / NO FEE! / Cambridge border (broken link)

This one is in our neighborhood:

UTILITIES INCLUDED, updated kitchen, hdwood floors (broken link)

Another nice area:

RENOVATED 3 BR APARTMENT IN TOWNHOUSE FOR RENT 9/17 (broken link)

Another really nice town (on the North Shore) is Beverly. We almost bought a house there:

Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets
Thanks! Crazy Karries is on Mass. Ave. near Broadway and that nice brick bus stop. Best burgers! Try it.
Can you walk to Arlington Center from your area and how is it when it snows as far as being hilly? How about more on the flat lands in terms of living near the center but not on Mass. Ave? I just need town info as am pretty familiar with rentals. Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM

I'm vegan.

No, can't walk to Arlington Center. Well, I suppose you could, actually, but it would take about 30-40 minutes. But we have our own little town center down the hill, on Mass Ave: post office, Trader Joe's, Starbuck's, drycleaners, etc.

Arlington Heights is on a hill, yes, but the town keeps the roads cleared really well and I've never had a problem with driving. On the flat lands: no problem, either. GREAT Mexican restaurant in East Arlington, btw (real Mexican food--not TexMex).

Old 09-01-2007, 11:03 AM

More info on Arlington:

Welcome to Arlington, MA

Vision 2020 - Arlington, Massachusetts

This park is three blocks from our house--we take the dogs there all the time:

Robbins Farm Park

Robbins Farm Park - Arlington, MA 02476 - Reviews: Family Entertainment Centers, Parks & Playgrounds

Robbins Farm/Skyline Park Arlington, MA - Robbins Farm/Skyline Park Parks, Play Spaces & Outings - Robbins Farm/Skyline Park Reviews

People who live in Arlington tend to love it and are very protective of it. Not because it's especially beautiful (although it is very sweet), but because it's one of those rare towns that is pretty, diverse, has good schools, is close to Boston/Cambridge, yet doesn't have "attitude."

Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Lynn would be a nightmare commute. Dorchester, Roxbury and Mission Hill have some nice areas, but tend to be less safe, overall. Your best bet--out that way--would be Roslindale or Jamaica Plain. Central Square in Cambridge is very racially and ethnically diverse, although more expensive than Roslindale and Jamaica Plain, and parking might be a problem. I live in Arlington, which has some racial and ethnic diversity--especially in East Arlington, off Mass Ave.
Yesterday, 09:41 PM
MovingForward
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2007
261 posts, read 23,223 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to add: Cambridge is a very diverse town, ethnically and racially, so i'm not really sure what's missing for you there, or if the towns I recommended can add to what Cambridge already offers (other than lower rents--lol). [quote, MovingForward]

If you want a pretty good mix of races and ethnicities, as well as personalities, I agree that Cambridge has that. If that works for you, then another place to check out is Somerville. It's close to Cambridge, and so would be very convenient if you'd be going to school in Cambridge.

If you're looking for an area with more a largely minority population, some neighborhoods in Roxbury might work pretty well. Take my thoughts on Roxbury with a grain of salt, because I'm not intimately familiar with the area, but I have worked with people from Roxbury and have heard quite a bit about the area, and I have visited some parts of Roxbury. Yes, it is true, as MF said, that Roxbury is not a really safe area "overall." However, much of the crime is concentrated in certain, relatively small, areas. Much of Roxbury has a working class and middle class urban residential character, with a population made up largely of solid working folks.

One drawback is that many of the high-crime areas are along some of the major commercial streets, or on side streets just off of these major thoroughfares. You'd probably want to avoid these spots, so getting out for shopping and dining, other than that at small neighborhood stores, might mean going to other parts of Boston altogether. The Mission Hill area, which has already been mentioned, and which you have already considered, seems to be more of an up-and-coming area that would provide a nice area to live in (keeping in mind that it's an urban area), with more entertainment and the like close by. Another Roxbury neighborhood to check out would be the Fort Hill neighborhood. If you would be comfortable in more of a racially mixed area, with a smaller minority population, I'd strongly suggest the areas in Arlington and Cambridge that have been suggested above, and definitely look into Somerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts